Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Leaving puppy in yard

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by not_so_tiny_teddy, Jan 19, 2019.

1. not_so_tiny_teddy

not_so_tiny_teddy New Member

Hi there. I’m from Australia and we have a beautiful 5 month old black/tan male, Teddy. I homeschool our youngest son and therefore we are home for the vast majority of the week. We do have a small run in the back of the yard which Teddy happily go in with a nice treat when we will be away for a few hours. Other than that he is always inside the house with us.

My concern is that we would like to let him have run of the yard when we are out, but we have a busy house with two older sons, one of whom is a shift worker and the other a late riser, so if we leave Teddy in the yard he knows that someone is inside the house and doesn’t understand why he can’t come inside. I do not want my sons to be responsible for him hence why he would be outside.

I would like to be able to transition him to being able to be left outside when he can hear people in the house, but am unsure how to go about it.

I know Dobies are velcro dogs and need to be their their family, but it’s not possible for us 24/7.

Has anyone here had a similar situation? Are you able to offer me a few suggestion?

Many thanks.
    Tricia.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

Hello fellow Australian! :ntmy: That's a beaut boy you've got there, and it sounds like he is doing really well. My situation is quite different so I'm not able to give you much advice on your problem, but there will be a lot of good advice when the other side of the world wakes up! :rofl: Meantime, if you haven't already done the forum search for information it is well worth having a look at the puppy threads. There is a wealth of interesting and just plain fun stuff here!

3. Kojak

Kojak New Member

Dobie's are so much more than velcro dogs. If your dobie feels isolated or bored, it will manifest in negative behaviors. Is Teddy crate trained?

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I would definitely crate train, much safer alternative to leaving him in the yard. Bored puppies find trouble which can be fatal.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life Member

Agreed. Crate training is the way to go!! There are toooo many variables that could come into play with being left outside. Strangers walking by, other animals, the weather, objects being thrown into the yard, something being swallowed/lodged, them escaping or even being taken at a young age, etc.... I would be a wreck at work if we went that route....be checking in every 45 minutes lol.

Welcome from Michigan, USA

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Crate train! Would not leave any Dobe or any dog out by it self for any period of time.

• Agree Agree x 7
  7. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Definitely crate train, there is so much trouble to get into.

They are very very social animals and I know that Ragnar just does not like to be left alone. He may stay in the yard some but not long if I am not out there. So then he comes in and I put him in the crate if there is something going on in which I need him out of the way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. not_so_tiny_teddy

Thanks for the replies. Yes, Teddy is crate trained but I don't feel comfortable leaving him on it for more than three hours. He stays in the run for up to four hours which gives him more room. Our yard is very secure with a double gate.

9. not_so_tiny_teddy

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie

10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

My immediate thought was...snakes! I know @jazzies mum runs into some interesting critters while on adventures with her Dobe, so creepy crawlies coming into your yard would be my concern.

Someone signed on a while ago asking why their Doberman was scratching and howling at the back door trying to get in while they were inside the house. They wanted the dog to be outside in their huge yard with toys while they both worked from home during the day. I think you will find out that while the run may seem to be more fun, your Doberman won’t accept it. If his people are inside, he will want to be there, even crated. As people who really don’t enjoy the Velcro aspect of the breed, we have been able to teach boundaries, but even we accept that the nature of the Doberbeast can’t be changed.

Looks like you have a happy boy there and his name is pretty cute too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. not_so_tiny_teddy

Thanks! We don't have to worry about snakes where we are thankfully.

So what is the upper time limit for leaving them created during the day?

12. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome!

My chief concerns with having my Doberman outside are: People messing with him by tossing him treats, or trying to interact with him through/over the fence; and him barking excessively.

Honestly, I only leave my boy out in the backyard for about five minutes without checking on him. He usually finds something at which to bark sooner than that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

We set the limit based on potty breaks when Kaiser was a small pup but I think the four hours you wanted to put him in the run should be more than doable in the crate.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Generally you don't want them in the crate for more than 4 hours at a time but at 5 months old, he *should* be able to go about 5 hours without needing a potty break. If we're going to be gone for longer than 5 hours (our dogs are 3 years and 10 months old) we'll do a lot of physical and mental exercise with them and they're good for upwards of 7 hours.

He'll learn to just sleep in the crate when you're away instead of raising holy hell in your backyard.

People stealing dogs always has me worried, too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from Minnesota, USA!

Our dogs never go out unaccompanied here and we own over 100 acres. There are too many unknowns so we crate train them from the time they come home as pups. They quickly get used to the routine of going in their crate to sleep when we go to work and prefer being in there. At first I didn't leave them crated for longer than 3 hours but it was sometimes 6 hours when they were mature enough not to have to go potty.

Now they're both mature enough to be loose in the house all day but in many cases they still go to the crate to sleep with the door open.

16. CRDobe

CRDobe Notable member

Is the small run inside your fenced yard and connected to the house?

17. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

My dogs have had to be crated for 9-10 hours before but normally only get crated for 6-7 hours each day while we are at work. We also crate and rotate due to males that will fight. It is safer for them to be crated then loose. I would never leave mine outside while I was gone, just not a good idea for us.

• Like Like x 1