Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Lawsuit on Morning Song bird food

Discussion in 'The Pet Post (Non Doberman)' started by MyBuddy, Aug 20, 2019.

1. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

An $85 million settlement has been reached resolving allegations that The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company sold wild bird food that was tainted with pesticides.

If you purchased Scotts Morning Song Bird Food products between Nov. 1, 2005 and May 1, 2008, you could get a full refund with receipts from this class action settlement.

The Scotts bird food class action lawsuit states that for three years, Scotts used two different pesticides in its Morning Song Bird Food products including Storcide II and Actellic 5E.

The Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Justice brought charges against Scotts in 2012 for the toxic bird seed and the company ended up paying $12.5 million in fines.

That same year, several Scotts class action lawsuits were consolidated into multidistrict litigation over allegations that Scotts violated the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act and 18 other claims of violations of state statutes and common law.

The Scotts Morning Song Bird Food class action was vigorously fought by the company who moved to dismiss and obtain summary judgment over the next few years.

Scotts consumers refused to back down, telling the court that no reasonable person would buy bird seed that was “so hazardous and so worthless that Scotts buried in landfills every bag it could get its hands on (nearly 2 million).”

In addition, the plaintiffs say that Scotts has admitted that all of its 70 million bags of bird food that were sold during this time period were toxic to the wild bird population.

Read the rest here:

Scotts Morning Song Bird Food Class Action Settlement | Top Class Actions

I received notice of this a while back. How many of us would keep a receipt for a bag of bird seed? There's no way I could 'collect' and I'm sure it would be nominal. The money isn't the issue for me anyway.

The bottom line is, Here we go again!! Pesticides in our animal food! Even in our wildlife food! :cus::cus::cus: Is any of our animals food safe? Is any of OUR food safe? Ugh.

• Wow x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Thankfully we've never feed that brand, but I agree that it's more about the harmed birds and animals than it is about getting a refund. Darn those chemicals overly used in so many things.

• Agree Agree x 1