1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Large breed kibble?

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by Minionmama, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

I'm searching for a new food. Curious how many of you feed a "large breed" kibble. Typically they have a lower protein content. Is that better or worse? My pup is 10 months old. Help!!!

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We just feed a regular all life stages food. Our breeder wanted us to feed a large breed puppy formula when we got Albert but we switched over to regular TOTW when he was a year old and he does fine.
    I think it more depends on the ingredient list and where the protein is coming from and of course it varies from dog to dog.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

We never fed puppy food, only all life stages food.

4. Jasmine0430

Jasmine0430 Jr Member

I feed NutriSource large breed puppy kibble to Jasmine. She seems to enjoy the taste and the ingredients list is pretty good. I strongly like that the first ingredient is Chicken. The only thing I don't care for are the peas in the ingredients list, but I have less kibble options to choose from here in the ROK.

Protein is indeed lower (26%) than the All Life Stages kibble that I've seen(~30%+).

5. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

We feed all life stages also, years ago we feed large breed puppy food then switched to large breed with one of our dogs. It caused him to have problems later in life in his hips, the vet believed it to be because of how he grew as a puppy being on that food. I would only feed large breed food to a large breed puppy. Dobermans are not a large breed dog.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I prefer a kibble that is large. No, not "large breed," but large kibble! With my first Dobe, he used to slightly choke on the small kibble. Seems though that pretty much every brand and type of kibble is small in size.

Seems to me that large breed dog food means lower protein and fat content. That is not something that I want for my high energy, seemingly high metabolism boy.

7. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

ALS here, too. Pet food companies have created this idea in people’s heads that dogs suddenly need a different food when they go from a puppy to an adult or an adult to a senior. As long as the food is high quality and supplies adequate amounts of protein, fat and key nutrients, it’s good for life.

8. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Speaking of which, it seems that dog food companies' attempt to market breed-specific foods has not succeeded. I always shook my head at that.