1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Kong Treats

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by Antman408, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

recently ordered a Kong box, it came in today. I wasn’t expecting it to have treats. I typically don’t give treats other than dehydrated raw, so I’m not sure if these are ok to feed or garbage. Anyone have any idea?
    322BB917-89FF-41AB-B67A-8FF34F3D6F8E.jpeg

2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I’m going to say garbage but I haven’t seen or used the treats in your pic. Maybe it has changed since I checked them out three years ago when I first discovered Kong, but I doubt it. I stuff Kongs with a slightly thawed premade raw patty and refreeze. You can also stuff it with leftover meats from your meals. We have used raw ground beef and cooked chicken and turkey. Caution on the ground beef though, if the fat content is high, it will cause diarrhea, so it’s either extra lean from the store, or it is ground at home so we can see how fatty the original cut of beef was.

That squeeze tube shows sweet potato which is a controversial ingredient for diet related DCM. I remember seeing a similar tube with a cheese whiz type stuffing which has to be worse than any of the treats you have there lol. Hey, how have you managed without a Kong all this time?

3. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I don’t. We’ve had way too many digestive issues to mess with something like that. I’d read the ingredient list and where they’re sourced and then decide. You can always donate them to a shelter.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Had a kong or two when he was younger. He went thru a “destroy the f*ck” out of everything phase and they didn’t last long so I stopped using them. However they were the blue puppy ones. To be honest for the last year+ I’ve only given him benebones and homemade chew treats (dehydrated beef trachea stuffed with ground beef frozen)

I may just roll ground beef and turkey into rolls that fit into the Kong’s and freeze them and see how that goes.

when I ordered the subscription box I wasn’t aware treats would come in it. I may drop them off at the shelter tomorrow.

rex has a sensitive stomach and I don’t wanna go thru a bout of diarrhea lol.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rodyboy

Rodyboy Jr Member

Don't blame you, but the shelter idea is great. They always are in need.

6. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I am so nervous about where treats are made. They may say they are made in the USA but that could mean the final packaging was done in the USA. They don’t list where they source all their ingredients from which could be anywhere in the world and most likely many ingredients come from China.
    Look for the statement All Ingredients Sourced and Packaged in the USA.

I make all my own treats. Hubs bought me a really nice Hobart deli slicer and I can slice semi frozen beef, chicken breasts, hearts,gizzards, calves liver into paper thin slices then I place them on a pan lined with parchment paper and put them in the oven on 125-150 for 5-7 hrs to dry out. Then I put them in jars and keep refrigerated for up to 2 wks. I just pull out and fill the treat bag with the amount I will be using while training. This way there are no preservatives or additives.
    The pups love those treats more than any store bought.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1