Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

king might be allergic?

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Ramos.cindy, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

The adhesive of tapes make his ears get soars idk if he might be allergic or if the tape was too tight? what do you think?

Attached Files:

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Hm they are deff raw. Once they heal, I would tape with way less tape. Are the raw areas where the black tape was placed? Wondering if its holding too much moisture. Doesn't seem like it was a tightness issue. You really only need two maybe three peices of tape.

What brand/type of tape was used? Lets see what others think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I agree with @Lizbeli - the black tape might be the cause. The bridge should also have slack in it so that the pup can gain control of his ears. If you feel like you need additional support in the bridge I would just use the black tape in the middle not around the ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Oooooo that is a lot of tape you really only need two pieces of tape for the base and tips.
    I would also use a slacked bridge that is closer to his head.
    I put baby powder in the backs on my dogs ears to prevent pulling the hair off when changing the post.
    I also use unisolve to get the ears off the rods to not irritate the ears.
    Here’s what mine look like

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

the sores are lower than were the black tape was placed

6. crypticintent

crypticintent Jr Member

I’d let it breathe and heal. Only paper tape and cloth. Wonder if it is too tight.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Are you using any solvent when you remove the tape? If not then I would definitely get the Uni-Sol skin adhesive remover to remove the tape to prevent irritation.

Some dogs have tape sensitivity so cleaning gently and drying thoroughly is important. If you are using Zona’s Tape then try switching to Kendall Curity and see if that helps. My female reacted to the tape as well so I switched to Kendall. I also used Torbots skin adhesive on the backer rod and ear.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  8. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

On his left ear, looks like he is missing a lot of his ear hair which makes me wonder if it’s coming off when you switch out.

As Ares/Bri states, use some adhesive remover and take your time removing tape- yeah right, like a Doberman pup is going to let you take your time huh??

What brand of tape you using? Use Johnson Johnson Zonas tape, it makes a hell of a difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

1/2 inch or 2 inces ?

10. Ddski5

Johnson & Johnson JJ5104 Zonas Porous Adhesive Tape, 1" x 10", White (Box of 12)
    4BAE796A-03F9-4C4C-BC4E-39E78005BF37.jpeg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  11. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

Has anyone every tried the molefoam method?

12. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I don’t think it’s your method that is wrong just that you’re not taking it off correctly. To me it looks like the hair got pulled off and we’ve all done it. So make sure not to tape to tight, use baby powder on the backs of the ears, and use unisolve to help get the tape off.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Ddski5

I have seen folks use molefoam and it appears successful but for some reason I don’t particularly like the shape of the ear formed by the molefoam.

Not 100% sure but it just does not seem to give the same appearance that the backer rod produces.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Maybe give this method a try? Diy Cropped Ear Posting; A Different Technique.
    I have never tried it but I would think it would give a better shape to the ears. Maybe closer to the regular backer rod method?

15. Logan 45

Logan 45 New Member

I know that when I posted my pup that the way I was instructed by my vet was to use tightly rolled paper towel and then to help use less tape on the outside of the ear once you ve taped the paper towel together flip the tape inside out so you can actually stick the inside of his ears to the posts thus requiring far less tape around the outside

16. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You can put powder on the furry part of the ear, once it's healed of course, and then tape. Use less tape, 2 pieces and then put powder on the furry side before you tape. When you remove the tape it will not be stuck to the fur.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1