1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

King isn't feeling so well

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Ramos.cindy, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

King has been very sleepy all day and it's not like him to be down when i walk outside or by the window, i had left the house to do some errands and came home to bit of kings throw up in the back yard (he hit the 2 month mark today) should i be worried? (he goes to the vet tomorrow for posting and ima talk to her about this)

2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Did you examine the vomit? How did it look? Is he drinking water, eating, and pottying like normal?

Since he's just 8 weeks old, I strongly recommend crating him if he'll be left alone. The yard is not a safe place for a puppy. Also because he hasn't had all his shots yet.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Since you are going to the vet tomorrow I would just wait it out. UNLESS he has pale gums, isn't drinking/eating, or is vomiting frequently. I agree, I would not let my pup outside unattended (mines 9 weeks). I stand outside in the bitter cold until he stops crying and does his business XD You would be amazed at what they get into.

First time in the crate was tough but this breed is smart and will get the idea quickly and without much of a fuss. (Kaiser2016 has good point about the specifics of the vomit. I am sure there are things that would call for emergency, such as blood).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

We don't have grass in our yard and very minimal trees so he's free to roam with no harm coming his way , he got vaccines yesterday and he hasn't eaten much all day

5. Antman408

Antman408 $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

This breed is known to swallow anything and everything they can get their mouths on causing a blockage. Letting him free roam in the back yard is a possible disaster waiting to happen.

Crate training is recommended to combat this and for the safety of the dog. With that said, if he isn’t eating or drinking and is vomiting it’s possible he can have a blockage.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Some pups get reactions to vaccinations. If he was just vaccinated yesterday I would definitely watch his behavior and if things don’t improve get to the vet. He’s very young and things can go down hill quickly when they’re that little.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  7. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I would do another walk through of your yard just incase (looking for any more vomit or hazards) and suggest watching him every time he is outside. I caught my guy chewing the bark off a tree. Got him away form that, then he picks up a rock. Naughty puppy!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

If he just got Vaccines yesterday I would watch the gums. If they are white I would go right to the vet. With his mouth closed just lift his upper lip and look at the gum color.
    Which vaccines exactly did he get?
    Was it also a Combo 5, 6, 7, 8 way vaccine?

9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I agree it's probably the vaccines although I don't ever recall vax slowing down Kaiser. He was mayhem from day 1.

Re yard safety, can't stress it enough. I had my new puppy safely on the deck and went inside to see how he would react through the window. It was barely a minute before large black Ravens swooped in. First it was just 1, then another, then there were at least 5 more. I think they were going to try to eat him. I know it sounds crazy but they showed up out of nowhere after I left him and when I went back out they flew away. Just something to think about. Predators come from anywhere. Never mind if someone came into your yard to steal him.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Wow x 1
  10. strykerdobe

Long time (back when you took them every year for boosters and before we knew better) ago we had a Dobe. I think she was 4yrs old. Took her in for boosters. She was lethargic for two days. I took her back to the vet. Her gums were white. She became anemic. Short story she developed Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemia!
    This is why I'm NOT for over-vaccinating!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  11. crypticintent

crypticintent Jr Member

My neighbors thought it was strange that we got a dog after we tore down part of our fence line.

I don’t want to even fathom what she would get into alone if we let her out unsurpervised.

• Like Like x 3
  12. strykerdobe

@ramos-cindy Keep us updated.

13. Atingles10

Atingles10 Jr Member

Once you said he was just vaccinated I thought the same thing. After one set of vaccines our guy was kind of lethargic through the rest of the day and night but he thankfully came back around no problem. Hopefully your vet will have some advice just in case

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

Update on king! the vet did a house call today and gave him a couple meds for the vomiting and fever. we had to take him to the pet emergency room last night where they proceeded with an IV to cool him down and it definitely helped as he was feeling a bit better after that and after the vet vist this morning he has been up and active and finally eating ! poop is still on the soft side but no more vomit !

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 11
  15. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm glad he's feeling better! You'll definitely want to watch him for reactions from now on when you get his vacs though since it can get progressively worse if they're sensitive to them.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  16. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

So did the vet think it was a reaction to the vaccinations?

17. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

he thinks it could have just been that or something he ate like a plant

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

Definitely!

19. strykerdobe

Hope for a quick recovery. Also I would not vaccinate if he has not recovered from being sick! Never vaccinate a sick pet. Only healthy animals (per instructions that come with vaccines) should be vaccinated.

If you want a minimal Vaccine Schedule (see below) here is one.
    Whatever other vaccines you have done. Do not have a Rabies Vaccine given at the same time with any other vaccines. Wait a month or more between other vaccines.

From Dr. Jean Dodds, DVM
    Note: the following vaccine protocol is offered for those dogs where minimal vaccinations are advisable. The schedule is one I recommend and should not be interpreted to mean that other protocols recommended by a veterinarian would be less satisfactory. It's a matter of professional judgment and choice.

Vaccine Initial 1st Annual Booster Re-Administration Interval Comments
    Distemper (MLV) (e.g. Merck Nobivac DPV, or NeoVacD monovalent CDV only). Optional is recombinant rCDV = Merial Recombitek, but only comes in combo with CPV and Hepatitis/Adenovirus or more antigens 9-10 weeks; 14-15 weeks At 1 year MLV Distemper/ Parvovirus only, or serum DPV antibody titers None needed. Duration of immunity 7.5 / 15 years by studies. Probably lifetime. Can have side effects if given too young (less than 8 weeks). Also can cause post-vaccinal encephalitis (PVE); see below.

Parvovirus (MLV) (e.g. Merck Nobivac DPV, or NeoPar monovalent CPV only) 9-10 weeks; 14-15; 18 weeks. In endemic parvovirus outbreaks, MLV CPV vaccine can be given at 6 weeks initially; then followed up with protocol above. At 1 year MLV Distemper/ Parvovirus only, or serum DPV antibody titers None needed. Duration of immunity 7.5 years by studies. Probably lifetime. Longer studies pending. At 6 weeks of age, less than 30% of puppies are protected but 100% are exposed to the ubiquitous CPV.
    Rabies (only killed) 20-24 weeks or as legally required. Use only thimerosal (mercury-free) rabies vaccine = Merial IMRAB TF-1, or Boehringer Ingelheim RabVac 1TF 1 year after puppy rabies (give 3-4 weeks apart from Dist/Parvo booster) Killed 3 year thimerosal (mercury -free) rabies vaccine = Merial IMRAB TF-3, or Boehringer Ingeleim RabVac 3-TF 3 yr. vaccine given as required by law in California (follow your state/provincial requirements) Rabid animals may infect dogs or any other mammal including people.
    Vaccine Comments
    Distemper @ 6 weeks or younger Not recommended. At this age, maternal antibodies form the mother’s milk (colostrum) will partially neutralize the vaccine, and giving MLV CDV vaccine earlier can cause vaccine-induced signs of distemper especially seizures and paralysis.

Parvovirus @ 6 weeks In endemic parvovirus outbreaks, MLV CPV vaccine can be given at 6 weeks initially; then followed up with usual protocol above.

Hepatitis (Adenovirus 2) MLV often in a combo with CDV and CPV Not preferred. Giving MLV CDV with Adenovirus-2 causes immune suppression for up to 10 days in puppies and increases chances of post-vaccinal encephalitis (PVE). Note: Merial Recombitek combo vaccine cannot cause PVE. IF adenovirus vaccination is desired, can give to older adolescents with oral or intranasal (not injectable) Bordetella as it induces interferon that protects against the upper respiratory viruses.

Coronavirus Not recommended. Disease usually only affects young puppies that are malnourished and parasitized. Rare clinical disease. Mild self-limiting disease; produces orange-colored stool. Virus killed by 80 degrees F and dry housing.

Leptospirosis (4-Way killed vaccine) Not recommended. Rare clinical cases; a reportable zoonotic disease, so check local veterinary and public health agencies for documented cases. Vaccine side effects common. 4-way vaccine often contains the wrong serovars causing disease in local areas. There is poor cross-protection between serovars. Two doses initially needed given 3-4 weeks apart followed by yearly boosters.

Lyme Vaccine, Recombinant Not recommended. Most cases are in Northeast and around the Great Lakes. Annual booster required after initial 2-dose series.

Bordetella (Oral or Intranasal) (killed bacterin). Injectable version (not recommended) Generally not recommended. Oral preferred over intranasal, as it cannot spray vaccine around the face and those close by. Injectable not recommended as it does not release interferon to protect against the other upper respiratory viruses (kennel cough). Not 100% effective; may be required for boarding or grooming. Offer to sign written waiver to hold facility harmless instead.

Parainfluenza Vaccine (MLV) Included as part of combo vaccines; but rarely clinically important or needed.
    Influenza Bi-Valent H3N2/H3N8 Killed Vaccine Being widely recommended as these viruses are highly contagious. Not recommended routinely by Dr. Dodds as disease is mild and self-limiting unless fever is very high (>104 degrees F) and for those dogs harboring Streptococcus in their respiratory tracts. Distinguished from common kennel cough which does not produce a fever unless secondary pneumonia follows in 7-10 days. Influenza produces a fever immediately. 2 doses required 3-4 weeks apart and boosted annually.

Giardia Vaccine or Ringworm Vaccine No longer available; not recommended.
    Source: W. Jean Dodds, DVM

Hemopet / NutriScan
    11561 Salinaz Avenue
    Garden Grove, CA 92843

Here is a pdf link
    [PDF]
    Dr. Jean Dodds' Recommended Vaccination Schedule
    bannerckcs.com/Files/vaccination protocol.pdf
    Dr. W. Jean Dodd's vaccination protocol is now being adopted by ALL 27 North American veterinary schools. I highly recommend that you read this. VACCINATION NEWS FLASH I would like to make you aware that all 27 veterinary schools in North America are in the process of

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow, your vet made a house call? That's pretty cool. My horse vet will come to the house for my dog if I needed him but I doubt my dog Vet would! I'm glad that King is feeling better!

• Like Like x 1