Kinesiology Tape?

HakuTheDoberman

Notable member
has anyone had any experience with using kinesiology tape for posting?

I know a lot of people do zonas/ j&j and I also have some of that for one when time but I find it hard for me to order those and the name brands.

kinesiology Tape that I’m looking at is suppose to be breathable, stretch, somewhat waterproof and sticky but not too sticky where it takes off hair/skin and made from cotton(the one I’m looking at is rated 5 stars from alot of people)

So overall it’s a lot easier for me to get and order but just curious if anyone has tried it and if it’s really any different from the zonas tape

I googled it and it kind of looks like Elasticon (at least the cotton part does). I used Elasticon for the outer taping for the ears but I used the Zonas for back taping the posts. Elasticon is very sticky and needs to be removed with adhesive remover (UniSolve). I’m not sure how the kinesiology tape would stick to fur- if it would be sticky enough. Are you planning on using it to back tape?

I also could not find any of the tapes locally and ordered in bulk from Amazon.

I read some of the comments from the link you provided and I guess the way the tape works (for pain) is it lifts the skin to promote better circulation. I know circulation is good and all but my concern would be how does that effect prolonged use. I couldn’t find anything on long term use. If there is a customer service number I’d call and ask. And I’d also ask how it adheres to non skin surfaces- for the posts.

But I’m interested to see if others have used it.

I read some of the comments from the link you provided and I guess the way the tape works (for pain) is it lifts the skin to promote better circulation. I know circulation is good and all but my concern would be how does that effect prolonged use. I couldn’t find anything on long term use. If there is a customer service number I’d call and ask. And I’d also ask how it adheres to non skin surfaces- for the posts.

But I’m interested to see if others have used it.

Yeah I was just concerned for that I know I wouldn’t be putting it on a tight as you would human skin and for muscles. I spoke with a girl on Instagram who uses something like this or another brand of black athletic tape for her puppy and said she hasn’t had problems and works good. Just curious if other have tried as well aha

When I googled kinesiology Tape for ear posting and in the search was videos of people using that tape for therapy on dogs just like how humans use it on their muscles which I didn’t know was a thing ahah so I guess it’s safe for animal use but wasn’t 100 percent on how good for ears and posting

This one I ordered by accident awhile ago thinking it was cotton ( not sure why I thought that it Dosent even look smooth and flat like cotton aha )
That one definitely isn't good for posting but it has a ton of other uses so I doubt it will go to waste.

I haven't heard of the one you're asking about so I can't be of any help there.

I, too, could not even close to find J&J Zonas Porous in any stores around here. I broke down and ordered from Scumazon in a box of like a dozen rolls. I have maybe 8 or 9 rolls left. I've been using it slowly for other needs, like in the winter when my knuckle skin gets so dry it cracks, I'll wrap them to retain moisture.

I’d be using it to back tape and tape the tip and bottom too this was the one I was looking at

Looking at the pics, I'd say make sure you have a good adhesive remover available when it's time to change posts. That stuff looks sticky! You have to pull paper off the back of it and it will stick even during exercise. :shock: Seems extreme, I'll be interested in seeing how it works for you.

Looking at the pics, I'd say make sure you have a good adhesive remover available when it's time to change posts. That stuff looks sticky! You have to pull paper off the back of it and it will stick even during exercise. :shock: Seems extreme, I'll be interested in seeing how it works for you.

I did order it I will try it out on myself first too see how sticky it is and if it’s too extreme I’ll skip on using it for him aha I’ll let you guys know !

Sorry I did not reply in time before you ordered....

We call it K Tape in the clinic. No, I would not use K Tape on the ears. It is way too elastic and will cinch up thus cutting off circulation if used in a cylindrical manner. It may appear as you are putting it on with no stretch involved but it has a way of tightening up like VetWrap/Coban. No way I would chance it.

Sorry I did not reply in time before you ordered....

We call it K Tape in the clinic. No, I would not use K Tape on the ears. It is way too elastic and will cinch up thus cutting off circulation if used in a cylindrical manner. It may appear as you are putting it on with no stretch involved but it has a way of tightening up like VetWrap/Coban. No way I would chance it.

Dang it aha well thanks for letting me know !

Question guys. I’ve been reading some posts here on ear posting and I was wondering should I be back taping the rod with the zonas or I read someone hear say use duck tape. Is either ok ? I’m just worried duct tape is too sticky and will rip skin or hair out??. I put the posts far enough down that they don’t pop out and I’m using 3/8” rods ( I think ) for his ears. At what age should I start using bigger rods as well? Thanks!

Attachments

• 001FE080-E644-4D2B-A569-75B2F7AAF0DF.jpeg
    001FE080-E644-4D2B-A569-75B2F7AAF0DF.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 6
I back taped with Duct tape and taped ears with Zonas tape. A lot cheaper this way too.

Just make sure to use adhesive remover when taking out the post. Would use adhesive remover regardless of what tape being used.

Made the mistake and went too fast with not enough remover and wound up with some bald looking ears one time. I was devastated and couldn’t believe I had scarred my beautiful beast for life!! From then on, I was always super careful and patient taking down the tape.

FYI, the hair on his ears grew back.

Question guys. I’ve been reading some posts here on ear posting and I was wondering should I be back taping the rod with the zonas or I read someone hear say use duck tape. Is either ok ? I’m just worried duct tape is too sticky and will rip skin or hair out??. I put the posts far enough down that they don’t pop out and I’m using 3/8” rods ( I think ) for his ears. At what age should I start using bigger rods as well? Thanks!
The duct tape is used on the backer rod to stiffen the post, not to use as a back wrap and not to be used on the ears.
I have never tried using it on the ears themselves. I used gorilla tape on the backer rod because it was a heavier, stiffer tape than duct tape.

The duct tape is used on the backer rod to stiffen the post, not to use as a back wrap and not to be used on the ears.
I have never tried using it on the ears themselves. I used gorilla tape on the backer rod because it was a heavier, stiffer tape than duct tape.

Yeah but some have said you can use it to back wrap. Right now I use it just to firm the rob like you said and then backwrap with zonas tape. Not the actual brand cause hard for me to get and just find it not sticking that well. Mind you he Dosent get his posts out but I just find it Dosent hold the stretched ear up that long aha

Yeah but some have said you can use it to back wrap. Right now I use it just to firm the rob like you said and then backwrap with zonas tape. Not the actual brand cause hard for me to get and just find it not sticking that well. Mind you he Dosent get his posts out but I just find it Dosent hold the stretched ear up that long aha
My first box of zonas tape wasn’t as sticky as it should have been. I think it was old. I wound up using both the zonas and the Torbots glue. Having 2 puppies in posts and wrestling with each other, I wanted to make sure the posts stayed in for 3 days. I also used the UniSolve each time to remove the glue and tape so I wouldn’t blister up the ear. It took a few minutes longer for removing tape, cleaning and letting the ear dry but overall the posts stayed in place until I removed them.

I stated incorrectly- @Tropicalbri's is right.

Do not us Duct tape to back wrap. Stiffen backerrod with duct tape and back wrap and tape with Zonas Tape.

I would not trust exposed Duct tape to a pups ear.

Looking back at it now, I had a hard enough time keeping ridges out and keeping the Zonas tape in proper alignment when back taping- I’d imagine it would be much harder with the stiffness of Duct tape.

Sure am glad Bri caught me on that, I would be very upset if I steered you wrong and the harshness of Duct tape caused blisters on the tender inner ear.

Looking back at it now, I had a hard enough time keeping ridges out and keeping the Zonas tape in proper alignment when back taping- I’d imagine it would be much harder with the stiffness of Duct tape.

Sure am glad Bri caught me on that, I would be very upset if I steered you wrong and the harshness of Duct tape caused blisters on the tender inner ear.
It was a momentary lapse. These Dobies will do that to you.:rofl:

Back