1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Kibble Feeders

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by Antman408, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

I was thinking about this topic for the last few days and I was wondering if any of you have or still do this.

Do any of you blend different formulas of the same brand to gain benefits from the different proteins? Such as Orijen Regional Red and Orijen six fish?

I feed raw and I rotate proteins daily (pork, anchovies, lamb, beef, turkey, duck etc). So I was wondering if doing that with kibble (blending two recipes) would be beneficial?

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Back when I fed Merrick (before they changed their ingredients), I used to change formulas quite often to give them some variety. We feed TOTW now and we will feed either Wetlands or High Prairie but Wetlands seems to be more agreeable with Albert so we usually stick with that.

I'm going to move this to the Nutritional section so more people see it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I never did it when I fed kibble, but it makes sense to rotate/mix the food. I would imagine it would broaden their palette and they get to experience a wider range of nutrients and ingredients.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I remember being told that as long as you kept it in the same line of food (like Orijen in your example), then it was fine to rotate the proteins - like after one bag finishes, change the protein - but I’m not sure about mixing it on a daily basis. Sounds like it would be a good idea in theory though.

5. Antman408

Yeah, currently I have around 2 weeks of food left (raw). However, due to work and getting married next month I have absolutely zero time to make the trip up to the closest raw feeding store and prepare a month worth of food.

I’ve been weighing my options of feeding him Orijen for a month (six fish mixed with regional red) then going back to raw once my life returns back to a normal schedule. I was feeding him last month Orijen six fish on Friday, Saturday and Sunday to supplement a fish source since I couldn’t source raw anchovies at the time.

Really trying to weigh my options right now.

6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! What if you just fed a single protein until you can get back to raw? Plenty of people have their dog on a single kibble for years so I’m sure one month couldn’t hurt. Hopefully some kibble feeders will weigh in soon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Antman408

I hope so, I may look into a premade raw for a little bit too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I mix 2 different proteins within the same brand and add a cooked protein as a topper. I have 2 dobies one is a picky eater and will only eat when there is a topper(yes I know I created this) and the other one is a foodie and will eat anything. I specifically look for a kibble where I can rotate proteins. Also with 2 adult dogs one large bag doesn’t last long so I just get 2 different proteins. I order from Chewy.com so it’s easy to select and change the protein formulas.

9. Antman408

How are their poops with mixing?

10. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I’ve only had issues when I fed Shadow the Salmon and Duck formula. I think it’s like 36% protein and her stool got loose but then I added the beef formula and she was fine. Princess has no issues with any of the proteins as long as I add a topper. I think at times the beef is a bit too firming. I feed Nature’s Logic.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I can see Duck causing loose stool. Duck is surprisingly greasy when I handle the actual meat. We always pair it with a red meat to keep the poops just right.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

When my dogs were on kibble they ate a rotation diet. We were always mixing and switching. Worked great for them.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Antman408

I never noticed it being greasy. All his bone portions are from duck. Duck wing, neck and feet. His poops are always firm, sometimes their a little too firm lol.

14. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I feed pre made raw. The duck patties felt greasy in my hands once thawed, but meats like beef don’t leave an icky residue the same way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Just an fyi- I was planning on feeding Jasper Orijen but after the whole grain free, lentil/pea issue I decided not to. I haven’t researched the DCM issue lately so I'm not sure that those veg’s are even an issue anymore. Take it with a grain of salt until someone confirms. And not even sure the percent these actually take up. They are pretty low on the list.

Six Fish Ingredients
    FF5F2163-F034-4F68-B69A-638021B8DD32.png

16. Antman408

I’m very fishy (no pun intended) on that report. It’s odd to me that almost every kibble on their is a higher end kibble. But Purina and the known sh*t kibble wasn’t. Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I understand what you mean. On a side note, I fed my past blue coated dog Orijen and he seemed to do very well on it. Can’t offer any experience mixing kibble.