Kali got rolled by two coyotes....and survived

MyBuddy

Hot Topics Subscriber
😳 You read that right. And I added that she survived in the title so that you didn't have to read through this whole thing and worry! 😉

So... The Story Goes... Our daughter and the twins were in town for a long weekend last weekend. We were all at our son's house a couple of the days swimming in their pool, riding their dirt bikes, cooking out and making s'mores by the campfire. Kali was with us the whole time since we were there for so many hours. We would come home after dark to put the horses away for the night. On the last day, Monday, we came home a bit earlier, just so that it wasn't so late. My husband and I and our Grandson went out to get the horses. Along with Kali. It was just getting dusk. We were busy in the barn and I took my eyes off her. Big mistake. I'm usually so aware of surroundings and body language. So when I saw my grandson looking out the barn door at something, immediately panic struck. Where is Kali? In those few seconds he said, Grandma, I think Kali is out there with a couple of big dogs. I immediately thought of my neighbor on the other side who has to Aussies. Perhaps one was over here but that seldom happens. As I'm running, I'm screaming her name and I can see in the distance her running toward me and two coyotes/foxes?? running away. When she gets close enough to me I can tell something happened. She was scared. Her tail was between her legs and her ears were down. She ran into the barn and I grabbed her and put her in the wash tub in the water room in my barn. I started feeling her all over looking for any injuries and couldn't immediately see anything but my hands came back with blood! I was starting to really panic! I'm yelling at my husband, "they got her, they got her, oh my God, where did they get her?!"

We finally could see a little spot on her neck. I let them finish the horses and ran in the house with her. I put her in the laundry tub and started bathing her. My goodness she was filthy. I don't know if it was from the coyotes or what but I got a lot of dirt out of her. My daughter and granddaughter helped me go over her and we finally found the two puncture wounds. They actually had her around her neck! Dear God. I can't tell you how many times I raised my eyes Heaven bound and thanked the Lord for protecting her! She was this close to being gone. Those two coyotes were the same two I saw before. Remember when I thought they were a couple of foxes? And maybe it was foxes! I can't really say for sure because it was really getting a little too dark to see that far. But I honestly have never seen a fox on my property. Not saying it can't happen.

She must have seen them and took off after them. My grandson saw more than me. He said that they kind of rolled her so I think she probably went running up to them and then they either playfully or whatever kind of rolled her a little bit, biting her in the process and then she came flying back. I imagine if they really wanted to hurt her they would have. Either that or she put up a hell of a fight. I don't know if it was me yelling that chased them off and made her come back but I think she was already on her way back when I saw her.

In any event she had two puncture wounds as if she was grabbed around the neck from the side not the top. She was shaking badly. After bathing her I wrapped her in a couple of towels and sat with her for over an hour and she never really relaxed. She stopped shaking a couple of times but if you moved her she was start again. I think it was actually from the pain. And maybe the trauma I don't know. Anyway I finally put her down to be sure that she could walk and she trotted right back into her crate in our bedroom. I covered her up and we went to bed.

In the morning I was anxious to see how she was. It was only 4:30am and still dark so I shined a light in there and she was laying on her side with her eyes open but not moving. Even when I said, you want to go outside? I touched her to be sure she was warm! LOL I left the door open to her crate and walked away. When she didn't come out for almost an hour I went in to get her she finally got up and slowly made her way to the kitchen. I picked her up to take her outside to potty, fed her and then carried her back outside to potty again. Before I went out to feed the horses I gave her a leftover pain pill I had from that incident with her leg. By the time I had fed horses and cleaned stalls she was waiting for me at the door. 🙂 I took her out and she went for a little walk acting like nothing happened. Pain pills are awesome LOL I called the doctor in the morning and of course everybody is so booked they could not get me in. They asked a few questions and wanted to know if anything was still bleeding. When I told him that she had no other injuries and after the pain pill was acting fairly well, the doctor just ordered some antibiotics and more pain pills. We see him on the 17th which was the closest they can give me. So far she has been doing very well. I thought for sure she would be very clingy. But she has not shown any big ill-effects. In fact, there was a squirrel in the garden right off the kitchen and I told her to stay while I open the screen door and threw a shoe at him.. LOL well, she snuck out the door and chased the damn squirrel! I'm like you little jerk! I'll bet you're sore now! But I have a feeling she won't chase Foxes or coyotes anymore. But I won't take any chances anyway. I'm always so careful, dammit! I guess I'll have to be even more careful!!

The puncture wound on the top of her neck
20210802_204252.jpg

The one under her neck
20210802_204514.jpg

And a concerned granddaughter.
20210802_204855.jpg

I am glad she is okay, but this is still a scary and heart wrenching event. She must have been so relieved to be back in your arms after it happened! It is so hard when something happens to our fur babies. We had a Peke and he thought he was a lion, lucky for him he didn't have to prove it! Sending healing and calming thoughts your way!

Wow, at first it does seem that they were playing with her because, I agree, if they wanted to kill her, they could have, but then I remember how fast she is, and if she had only the 2 punctures - not 4 like with a proper bite - that means they did try to bite her but couldn't get a full bite because she was already running away. How scary! And how she was laying there with her eyes open in the crate - I kinda held my breath at that moment. Seems she has shaken it off now. I'd be watchful this evening to see if those coyotes come back.

Poor girl! That would have been SO scary and I'm SO glad it wasn't worse!!! I know its really easy to lose track of them when we are busy with the other animals, its happened to us too. You take 5 seconds of looking away and they can be gone! Maybe Kali can spend time in a stall or an xpen when y'all are out there occupied or have a tie out for her in the barn so she can stay close but do her own thing. I do that with Ripley when I know I cant watch her. Gosh, shes so little I'm surprised and thankful they didnt do anything worse to her!!

OMG!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: Thanks for adding in the title that she survived!! Time must have stood still there for a while. So Glad Kali is OK!!!
Hope she doesn't have any after effects.

am glad she is okay, but this is still a scary and heart wrenching event
It was very heart-wrenching!
Oh my gosh!! That is so scary. Im so glad she is ok. Good thing your grandson saw!
Yes! I told him several times thank you and gave him a great big hug!
And how she was laying there with her eyes open in the crate - I kinda held my breath at that moment.
Oh my God I can't tell you LOL I held my breath too. That's why I touched her. Scary moment there.

Maybe Kali can spend time in a stall
Usually when I go out there in the morning I keep the doors closed until I'm ready to open it and put the hay out. I'm busy giving medications and grain so I do that with the door closed. Sometimes when my husband comes out to help me he'll hit the door to open it and I always tell him, If you're going to open the door, you better watch the dog!! Of course I don't trust anyone completely so we both watch. But obviously, sometimes we're both distracted. :nono:

Praise be to God!🙏
And I DID!! :thumbsup2:
for adding in the title that she survived!!
Yeah that would have just been mean if I didn't😁

Just sitting on the phone with a friend of mine with Kali on my lap feeling her for anything else and I think this was something I missed. It's not really raised so I think it's more of a bruise that showing up today. It's hard with her hair to find anything!

20210804_111845.jpg

Looks like tooth scrapes. They don't usually scab since the skin isn't broken. I have seen that on a dog we have that years ago wandered off lost. Something had grabbed her around her pelvis but she escaped before they got a good hold. Also saw them on my ex's arm when he tried to corral a dog and she resisted.

Edited to add: So very glad she will be all right. That was a very scary incident.

What a frightening experience, I so glad she never got seriously hurt poor little girl.

Oh I am happy you titled this thread the way you did. How scary! My aunts small dog was killed by a coyote in her backyard a few years ago. I can’t imagine hearing and watching something like that. Boy is she lucky!

She will probably be sore for a little while I bet she has some bruising that we can’t see. Those punctures look pretty small I wonder if they were foxes. I imagine a coyote would have snatched her up without a problem.

Wow is that ever scary with her size! I think your grandson and you intervened just in time, TBH.
Della has tangled with a fox more than once and even those little things can do some big damage.

Oh wow, that had to have been terrible! So glad she's going to be OK. You are both very lucky. If there were two, almost certainly not foxes. Foxes are definite loners unless raising their kits. Another vote of appreciation for the subject title with the outcome noted! Bless you & little Kali - that's one tough little dog!

Thanks everyone ! She is a tough little girl, but she was scared that night! Today, back to chasing squirrels! :facepalm: Me? Walking with my firearm once again. :guns:

20210804_185813.jpg

Back