Kaiya, the Red Devil.

kaloric

This is Kaiya. She'll be a year old in about a week, so she's still very much a puppy.
kaiya-06.jpg

She's my first red. I asked for the "biggest handful" in the litter, hoping for a correct temperament.

So far, she's shaping-up to be the most correct Dobe in that regard that I've shared my life with so far. She has pretty high drives, a very stable temperament, and is developing into being sharp enough to react to threats while being fairly friendly or disinterested at worst in non-threatening situations. She also doesn't balk at much of anything, including weird footing or unpredictable situations. I was impressed at how easily she crossed an open railroad trestle over a river. That one even made me a little nervous, but she just headed right across it with me and didn't even flinch when her paws occasionally slipped into the gaps between the ties.

I sent in her Embark test yesterday, I'm curious to see how she is as far as genetic diversity. I don't know a whole lot about her parents or pedigree, only that her dad was one of two Euro boys her unintentional breeders had, and her mom was from North American lines and about to be spayed when they discovered there was a complication in the form of several tiny complications.

I don't suppose having her registered or knowing her pedigree would change much for me except maybe disappointment, as prejudiced as I am against bloodlines with a couple of particularly popular sires and all the inbreeding. It's almost better just to see what I have in front of me in terms of who she is and what the genetic test says.

If only more breeders focused on that rather than big names from a dumpster fire of a studbook, maybe the Doberman wouldn't be so screwed-up. In fact, I think it would be amazing if all handlers had to wear baggy coveralls and bags over their heads while in the conformation ring, and the dogs were shown absolutely blind without the judges knowing owners/breeders, the dogs' call or registered names, or pedigree. It also certainly couldn't hurt if the WAE wasn't such a complete joke and earning a WAC in no more than two attempts was an absolute requirement prior to completing a Ch title. I have opinions...

They get big so quickly. Kira didn't have anywhere near as fat of a head or short of a nose as it looks, this photo is werid.
kaiya-01.jpg

When she was tiny, she almost always had pieces of defenseless plants in her mouth.
kaiya-02.jpg

kaiya-03.jpg

She's my first Dobe who sploots, which she's doing that in the first photo, too. We've had to stay in a few motels due to the occasional truck problem (both with my hotshot rig and the 9-car transport I'm driving now), and she's only trashed one room. That room had it coming, it was kind of a run-down Super 8 with cigarette burns everywhere, and she found a spot of carpet that was a little frayed, and made the frayed spot larger. She also found a loose corner plastic thing on the box spring and ripped it the rest of the way off, and also went after a couple of burn spots in the chair. She has a 6th sense for finding things that aren't quite right and "correcting" the situation by choosing violence.
kaiya-04.jpg

She definitely has a knack for finding bizarre sleeping positions.
kaiya-05.jpg

Fun photos of your girl. It will be interesting to see the Embark - hope you share when it comes back! I'm pretty fascinated by genetics and what has happened in the last 30 or so years in the breed. That last photo of her sleeping on (in?) the steering wheel is hysterical!

I really like your views on a lot of things you stated and really like your story.

I mean no disrespect but am interested to see that embark. Her head/face and nozzle seem pretty petite and narrow to me which would go away from Euros. Maybe some NA in there but I see more Spaniel than anything. But I am no expert by far and she is still very young. Regardless…she is beautiful and holds her elegance well- even if hung over a steering wheel.

She has a beautiful complexion also, her colors seem to fade into each other.

This is Kaiya. She'll be a year old in about a week, so she's still very much a puppy.
View attachment 136841

She's my first red. I asked for the "biggest handful" in the litter, hoping for a correct temperament.

So far, she's shaping-up to be the most correct Dobe in that regard that I've shared my life with so far. She has pretty high drives, a very stable temperament, and is developing into being sharp enough to react to threats while being fairly friendly or disinterested at worst in non-threatening situations. She also doesn't balk at much of anything, including weird footing or unpredictable situations. I was impressed at how easily she crossed an open railroad trestle over a river. That one even made me a little nervous, but she just headed right across it with me and didn't even flinch when her paws occasionally slipped into the gaps between the ties.

I sent in her Embark test yesterday, I'm curious to see how she is as far as genetic diversity. I don't know a whole lot about her parents or pedigree, only that her dad was one of two Euro boys her unintentional breeders had, and her mom was from North American lines and about to be spayed when they discovered there was a complication in the form of several tiny complications.

I don't suppose having her registered or knowing her pedigree would change much for me except maybe disappointment, as prejudiced as I am against bloodlines with a couple of particularly popular sires and all the inbreeding. It's almost better just to see what I have in front of me in terms of who she is and what the genetic test says.

If only more breeders focused on that rather than big names from a dumpster fire of a studbook, maybe the Doberman wouldn't be so screwed-up. In fact, I think it would be amazing if all handlers had to wear baggy coveralls and bags over their heads while in the conformation ring, and the dogs were shown absolutely blind without the judges knowing owners/breeders, the dogs' call or registered names, or pedigree. It also certainly couldn't hurt if the WAE wasn't such a complete joke and earning a WAC in no more than two attempts was an absolute requirement prior to completing a Ch title. I have opinions...

They get big so quickly. Kira didn't have anywhere near as fat of a head or short of a nose as it looks, this photo is werid.
View attachment 136842

When she was tiny, she almost always had pieces of defenseless plants in her mouth.
View attachment 136843

View attachment 136844

She's my first Dobe who sploots, which she's doing that in the first photo, too. We've had to stay in a few motels due to the occasional truck problem (both with my hotshot rig and the 9-car transport I'm driving now), and she's only trashed one room. That room had it coming, it was kind of a run-down Super 8 with cigarette burns everywhere, and she found a spot of carpet that was a little frayed, and made the frayed spot larger. She also found a loose corner plastic thing on the box spring and ripped it the rest of the way off, and also went after a couple of burn spots in the chair. She has a 6th sense for finding things that aren't quite right and "correcting" the situation by choosing violence.
View attachment 136845

She definitely has a knack for finding bizarre sleeping positions.
View attachment 136846
Great photos!!

I really like your views on a lot of things you stated and really like your story.

I mean no disrespect but am interested to see that embark. Her head/face and nozzle seem pretty petite and narrow to me which would go away from Euros. Maybe some NA in there but I see more Spaniel than anything. But I am no expert by far and she is still very young. Regardless…she is beautiful and holds her elegance well- even if hung over a steering wheel.

If Kaiya is so much of a classic Dobe, but turns out to be an outcross, I'd be absolutely thrilled. It's a possibility, the folks I got her from don't know which of their boys might be the father, which is why no papers, might be limited registrations too, and there's a chance neither is the father. I didn't really care to push, and their stated reason was just that it was too much hassle to register the litter and it was an easy way to make sure the pups didn't end up in a puppy mill producing purebred puppies. These were all the right answers and rationale as far as I'm concerned, and they obviously didn't have a litter for a "purebred AKC puppy" money grab for what they were charging.

The only Euro influence I can see in her at this time is her temperament and her bite/jaw, and I think that's perfect. Kaiya has earned various nicknames for a reason, and that's because her favorite thing has always been biting, and I'm apparently her favorite chew toy. We're still working on that, she's strong-willed and gets bitey when she's feeling bored and not getting enough attention. One of my friends calls her the "Tasmanian Devil dog" because she thinks it sounds like I'm being mauled by a crazed wild animal when I'm on the phone with her. What I'm finding is that Kaiya isn't particularly interested in simply destroying stuff, she wants interactive biting & fighting, so I might try to get involved in bitesports to give her an acceptable outlet. It's unfortunate that the big IGP/DVG clubs around Denver specifically stated "NO DOBERMANS, DON'T ASK!" a few years back, and I'm guessing that discrimination is still around because they just don't want to waste time and club resources on a breed that has a poor success rate.

Kor was also pretty refined for being half-Euro, and he was very gangly & hadn't filled-out much until he was close to 2 years old. He just didn't quite get the temperament of the Euro to be successful in bitesports or protection training (his temperament was still plenty stable, he just didn't have particularly strong prey, defense and fight drives) or the longevity of a Euro-NA hybrid, but his inbreeding on one side did show in his VGL diversity assessment, so maybe that's not too surprising of an outcome.

It was nothing short of serendipity that the accidental litter was ready to go to new homes right when I was looking for a puppy, and I was already getting frustrated with the breeder foolishness such as insistence on cropped ears, ridiculous prices, waiting lists, bloodlines I really want to avoid, etc. from breeders who were the closest to being casuals or trying to do the right thing. If Kaiya is an actual outcross, that would be the sort of additional serendipity that might induce me to run with an outcross project and leave registered Dobermans behind altogether. My only fear about outcrossing has been that there's a risk of losing or weakening all the primary traits and the je ne sais quoi that make Dobes so endearing and amazing.

I can see what you are talking about with skull shape in that one pic but in other pics looks pretty normal. Perhaps just an awekward growth spurt.
However.

I see the crazy eyes.
Our blue has those, better watch out!
@kaloric did ask for the biggest handful after all😉😎
So they gave him a red girl kissed by fire with crazy eyes😂😂😂

and I gotta ask
86626620-415B-44D7-A46B-067205A41607.jpegWhat kind of vehicle is this she is sleeping in so uncomfortable? 😂
If I recall you had a deuce and a half or something of the sort. Super beefy, military grade zombie apocalypse ready bad ass.

Is this that truck?

I drove a HMMV, deuce, 817 and a 929 in the Army. You couldn’t destroy those trucks if you tried and we tried to deadline many.

and I gotta ask
View attachment 136861What kind of vehicle is this she is sleeping in so uncomfortable? 😂
If I recall you had a deuce and a half or something of the sort. Super beefy, military grade zombie apocalypse ready bad ass.

Is this that truck?

The deuce and a half is long gone, it had a destroyed transfer case and transmission before I got it because it had been run without gear oil in either, and I never quite got around to finishing that project, I only got as far as swapping the engine out for a good one that didn't have a huge hole in the side of the block from throwing a rod.

This one is a Pete 388 9-vehicle auto transport.

The long story short is that, shortly after the pandemic hit, and I had to work remotely in my IT job, it was great spending time with the dogs, not-so-great being stuck at home. I bought an F250 and a good-sized gooseneck trailer as salvage, fixed them up, and did hotshot trucking on a shoestring budget, while working remotely from interesting places during the day, while making a little extra cash driving in the evenings and mostly just getting out to see the country with the dogs. I hadn't really done much traveling while I had horses. When things started sort-of returning to normal, they demanded I work at home again and be able to get to campus within a couple hours to do stuff in person (but we could not just return to the office, we could only come in for appointments with end users or vendors), without even a day or two each week that could be scheduled as 100% remote, I quit the IT day job.

More recently, I've been driving the transport for a customer of mine who needs a LOT of vehicles moved. He needed another driver, it's some of the more interesting, high-activity trucking work and pays very well, so it works for me. I get more quality exercise loading & unloading and some of the places I travel than when I worked at my IT job, so it's just better than dealing with endless computer foolishness.

I'll never understand why Dobes seem to have such a knack for finding awkward, uncomfortable-looking sleeping positions. All mine have been pretty comfort-focused for the most part, but then they do stuff like that. The rig has a sleeper with soft blankets, but she likes sitting in seats next to me. And also halfway in my lap, or completely in my lap, which is probably not the best thing while driving a large truck.

I can see what you are talking about with skull shape in that one pic but in other pics looks pretty normal. Perhaps just an awekward growth spurt.
However.

I see the crazy eyes.
Our blue has those, better watch out!
@kaloric did ask for the biggest handful after all😉😎
So they gave him a red girl kissed by fire with crazy eyes😂😂😂
Also, these are not the crazy eyes. I haven't managed to get a good photo of the crazy eyes, but they generally involve the huge predator pupils with a thin ring of gold iris. That's when the zooming and/or biting is about to start.

Great guess!

Now I'm curious how you knew that! :grinning:
The air vents gave it away for me. Hubby longhauled, shorthauled, oversized, reefer, flat bed, self tarped loads etc. you name it for about 15 years. 😁 I rode with him for a few of those years. Now he's settled down working for the county highway dept as a working foreman. Gets to still drive the big rigs and heavy equipment like he loves but also stay home. We do occasionally miss the longhaul life. Being able to haul with your pets makes the run on weeks OTR a lot less lonely, that's for sure. Good to see you are in good company, stay safe out there.

Our previous Heinz 57 girl, Paige keeping an eye out. You wouldn't be able to come near the truck without her knowing and alerting lol

FB_IMG_1691040133650.jpg

Our cat Charlie was the best trucker kitty! He's still kicking around at 17.
FB_IMG_1691039246359.jpg

The air vents gave it away for me. Hubby longhauled, shorthauled, oversized, reefer, flat bed, self tarped loads etc. you name it for about 15 years. 😁 I rode with him for a few of those years. Now he's settled down working for the county highway dept as a working foreman. Gets to still drive the big rigs and heavy equipment like he loves but also stay home. We do occasionally miss the longhaul life. Being able to haul with your pets makes the run on weeks OTR a lot less lonely, that's for sure. Good to see you are in good company, stay safe out there.

Our previous Heinz 57 girl, Paige keeping an eye out. You wouldn't be able to come near the truck without her knowing and alerting lol

View attachment 136871

Nice! I have some similar photos of Kaiya keeping watch, and it really is nice traveling with at least one dog. Older photos have my previous two keeping watch rom the hotshot pickup truck. Folks looked at me kind of funny when I mentioned I was doing OTR hotshot with two Dobes, truth is, it kind of felt about the same sleeping in the bunk where the back seat had been, than at home sleeping in a queen size bed with them. They just have no concept of personal space...

I also got out a few times with my first Dobe in my old Freightliner, although it was only the rare run in the excavating off-season when I'd run my lowboy cross-country to pick-up something I'd bought or helping a colleague out. Dobes just love being out and exploring new places, it does seem maybe a little odd to do this with dogs that large and with high energy, but I think it just really takes not working for a slave-driving company and just being able to take it easy and stop to play frequently.

Kaiya is loving the lifestyle, she has a favorite rest area along the lane we run, Mountain Green on I-84 in UT. She gets all worked up when she senses we're close to it. It has a nicer lawn than most, plenty of pine cones to play with, and is just generally a pleasant place to hang out.

Any news on Kaiya lately? How is she?

Results of the Embark? Not that it matters…just curious.

Back