Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Judging the Doberman

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by FredC, Sep 7, 2008.

1. FredC

FredC Guest

Welcome to Doberman Chat forum Rajvinder, I have to say i thoroughly enjoyed your article and consider it to be among my favorites, so much so we have added it to our home page of top 7 good reads. I look forward to reading more of your articles in the future. Please feel free to shoot me a Note if theres anything we can do for you.

Regards, form Michigan

• Like Like x 2
  2. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

Casatoscani ,:dc: from Bakersfield, CA :sonn_u11:
    i enjoyed your article as well and hope we'll get to read more from you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome and thank you for your contribution! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. BreesMom

BreesMom Novitiate

:dc: from Ontario Canada!!! Great article....looking forward to more!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Max Hawk

Max Hawk Hot Topics Subscriber

Thanks for the article I don't show but I love the beauty of this breed . I really like the blend of the two types if I had my preference I would breed these two shown here for a good mix of the two types hopefully lol. The new pup is Kimbertal bloodlines and I think he will be much more European looking than Max who has more American bloodlines:drama: should be interesting lol I love em all!!!

6. Max Hawk

I do beg to differ on intelligence Max is American bloodlines and the smartest dog I've ever owned lol I love both types of dobie and perfer the looks of the two types blended together..:beer:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Max Hawk

Pretty much my thoughts exactly lol:beer:

8. Denissov43

Denissov43 Notable member

I agree ICEMAN!
    what a fabulous article and its so nice to read and see how well my bitch represents her heritage...
    She even looks like the bitch in that small photo at the bottom of that article!
    I would love to read more articles by this author!

9. omel13omel

omel13omel Notable member

Very nice and informative post between the two..Thanks for sharing this...and thank you author for joining the forum...Hope you enjoy your time here... :)

10. Ataro

Ataro Notable member

Actually, there is a mistake in the article. The Australian kennel (ANKC) took its standard from the UK, not the AKC.

11. strikeeagle

strikeeagle Active Member

Hi, get article the only thing different between the 2 breeds i think is size and weight and the little nicky picky things that the AKC and the FCI discourage,but hey a Dobermann, Dobermann in the end.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

12. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

This is not a completely true statement - The misunderstanding is between the word fault and disqualification which are two very different things. The American standard also describes every feature of the Doberman - head, eyes, ear set, feet, stiffles, hocks, shoulder angulation, rear angulation, mouth, head planes, stop etc and all can have faults if they deviate from the idea - Any area that is not the ideal of standard is pentalized or is suppose to be penalized to the extent of the deviation and that is true where ever you judge. Disqualifications is a completely different matter.

We don't fault color as all 4 colors are approved here. FCI disqualifies blues and fawns.

• Like Like x 3
  13. smorris

smorris New Member

Very intetesting info and feedback. It will be interesyimg to see how my euro does in the ring.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jazzycan

Jazzycan Notable member

Very interesting.
    I love them both and find both beautiful
    Kato is Euro.. and big omg!

15. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Interesting read for me too as I am working on perfecting my eye to the Doberman standard visually. Aria has her first AKC show in March and I want to be able to size up the competition. I know it takes a lot of exposure before you become perfect at it and I have much to learn and see...read too.

16. gettinggreyer

gettinggreyer Hot Topics Subscriber

I LOVED this read! I NOW UNDERSTAND and ACCEPT why I NEVER will show in AKC for conformation.

That is why, when I stand my dog for show I can't get the curve. Dah, it's not there. Hard to curve a neck
    that is so muscular. Thanks to the article I NOW understand!! My boy is way more Euro.
    AKC doesn't accept Euro differences and is only looking at American standards.
    ****So why DID they accept my registration???****If MY Dobe will NEVER be to their standard!

I think they should have both standards! That would be fair being they accepted my registration!
    Wouldn't that be fun.....
    Wish I was MORE educated when I got him. Would of NEVER registered him with AKC. Total waste of funds.
    Still beat *ss in obedience and RO!!! I will think twice about AKC shows, as NOW I have a standard chip on my shoulder.

17. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

This is the best thing in the entire article - Both standards describe the same dog. It is the breeder's conception of that standard that makes for the differences in "type". For example both standards call for a dry head yet many of the Euro's have very loose flews while too many of the Americans have snipey heads - Neither is correct JFYI.

Both standards call for heavy bone and I agree Americans are loosing the heavy bone......But as stated they are seeing dogs oversized in Euro lines and under developed in American - neither is correct. JMHO

As far as the point on allowed colors - it is widely known that the Euros cull the blues and fawns - as those colors were bred in to the original dog. There are no genetic defects different from the black and rust other than coat problems associated with the dilute but it is not fatal. There is a DNA test now to determine the genes carried for coat color so if someone does not want to produce them they can test and avoid it.

UGH? How about because Euro or American it is from the SAME gene pool and from qualified registered parents which is the main qualification for registration.

If you read the two standards they are basically the same. EX: both standards allow for the bitch to be a little longer due to carrying pups. So while some of the points are valid they do not explain enough of the entire picture for the individual to understand the broad scope of both standards as they apply to individual dogs.

Therefore, it has become more about "a breeders taste" in dogs as opposed to a difference in the standards. The FCI standard is a more fault based standard as opposed to the American standard but they both support the correct Doberman. To blame the very small differences in standards is to miss the understanding of how both standards describe the same ideal dog. It is breeder taste or likes that have made the differences you see. Not the standards. I have said it many times - a GOOD dog will win under either system.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FredC

FredC Guest

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. gettinggreyer

gettinggreyer Hot Topics Subscriber

Their from the same gene pool, but AKC judge's (most)are more for the thinner boned, delicate muscle, more American type, that I've seen anyhow.
    Dobs4ever: I LOVE reading your stuff! YOU ARE so KNOWLEGEABLE! I have LEARNED a lot from YOU! :ty:

20. FredC

FredC Guest

Actually that would be the DPCA.. Judges began leaning heavily towards the Euro type in the AKC ring and the DPCA had to issue a "Memo" to Doberman Judges reminding them of the type they want winning.. or in Suzans words...
    This thread has some great points on the subject.. http://doberman-chat.com/community/threads/what-has-happened-to-purebred-dogs.6889/#post-116452

• Like Like x 1