Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Jaspers Recent Dog Encounters

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Lizbeli, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

Long post. Just a couple entertaining stories for ya’ll.

Just a few weeks ago we were playing ball in a large state park field. I go in a pretty secluded area thats on a hill so I can watch for any other people or dogs around us. I noticed a car parking and saw a women let her dogs out off leash, which isn’t uncommon in this part of the park. However, her dogs took notice of Jasper from about 100yards away and charged us. Being in an open field there was no where to go. I decided to just stand there trying to be as calm as possible. I couldn’t leash Jasper fast enough so I kept him in a sit and kept his focus in the ball. I honestly thought we were going to have a bloody mess to deal with. To my surprise, the dogs stopped in their tracks standing about 10ft away from us. Jasper looked at them and then focused back towards me while I held his ball. The lady was able to call them back and that was that. Jasper really impressed me. But I am not certain what would have happened if he wasn’t focused on his ball. I do carry an automatic blade for emergencies and thankfully this situation didn’t call for it.

Fast forward to today:

Jasper is a year old, and has been doing well with his recall since I take him off leash to play ball practically daily. I wasn’t too worried about other dogs I decided to bring him in the woods off leash, but wearing his e-collar. During our walk We noticed a man and his Labordoodle off leash. As usual, the man said “don’t worry he is friendly” (as they always do). I called Jasper and he came right too me with no issue. Leashed him up on a prong and continued to walk by. The other guy didn’t leash his dog and as we passed each other they got into a small tussle. Mostly all noise (Jasper on top showing dominance). The man said “oh, my dog has issues with males who aren’t fixed.” Well maybe at least bring a leash with ya next time? Dog wasn’t even wearing a collar. Anyways, the man told be that another 50yrds down there is a man walking two leashed dogs, but they are “barky.” Thanks dude.

We continue walking. I kept Jasper on leash this time. Sure enough there is an old couple with three leashed labs, barking and pulling like mad wearing those big petco prongs that were sagging to their chests. Keep in mind this path is only about 5feet wide. So four people and four dogs passing each other. Jasper is by my side, tense but quiet. No whining or barking. Other dogs going berserk...

As we passed, the old women fell and dropped the leash of a small female lab. Of course she runs right for us. Jasper positioned himself between me and the dog and just stood tall and alert. Just a little of his hackles up. Women got hold of her dog and apologized. We continued on our path and Jasper was a bit worked up pulling me but otherwise I was pretty impressed.

What bad luck. Been going to this park with Jasper since I got him. Having two crazy events in one walk is almost impossible. I will say that as Jasper is growing I am seeing more restraint and he does impress me. Yeah he got in a small tussle with the other dog, but the other dog was tense too and in that “stalking” pose. It was just the wrong place at the wrong time. After that tussle I thought “oh man, a negative experience that will mess up my dogs brain, now he will be dog reactive.” I had a terribly reactive dog in the past and the training can be so difficult. But then with those labs he just impressed me. I do wonder if these fairly minor experiences will scar him. Or if he will just move on and forget. Hopefully they were both more of a learning experience. I was calm the whole time and didn’t make a big deal out of either situation. I just continued on my walk as normal. So I hope that helps him shake it off.

Anyways, thanks for bearing with this long post.

B32B6006-D0B6-4F0E-9D87-C219BF00BECE.jpeg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
    • Wow x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You and Jasper did great!! I think I may have really been :pullhair: to have two dogs charging me! To keep your cool and Jasper's attention is commendable! Good training shows through! Good for you!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Well, I think Jasper handled that well, and so did you. Sometimes events just get crazy and you just have to deal with it as best you can. Being calm and unruffled yourself will help defuse the impression these things make so I doubt he'll have any lasting issues.
    I've had several occasions where we were approached, even charged by aggressive sounding dogs and I actively stepped into them and sent them on if it looked like a dangerous situation in the making. Jazz stays reasonably calm and out of the fray even if I give my best bellow at the incoming dog, and it hasn't affected her normal confidence at all.

• Like Like x 2
  4. AnnV

AnnV Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Easier said than done in many situations, but that is the best we humans can do, stay calm, like you said you did. Jasper seems like a really cool guy. He is such a cutie and it sounds like you are both doing great!

Dont want to make your thread about us, but Bedja was charged by a growling large dog (owner accidentally had dropped the leash) running across the street towards us when he was 11 weeks old the second day we had him! Bedja screamed as if he was getting killed and I was totally shaken up, but fortunately it seems like it has not influenced him at all! He did not get hurt in any other way either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
  5. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Great job.

Calm and confident by both handler and Doberman. That’s what training and controlled exposure to different scenarios will do.

Awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lizbeli

Thanks guys! I really hope tomorrow doesn’t go the same way. I think I’ll have him on my long line from now on in the woods. Haven’t decided yet. One day I want him to wear a nice harness but he needs way more training for that. He’ll pull me like mad. Maybe do some E collar + harness training? Hm.

I was just worried that this will impact his behavior negatively. He seems to have a good temperament though. He is still so young and needs to get that big boy brain and hit maturity. He seems like he is more aware of his surroundings lately.

Thankfully I have pretty good control in random stressful situations. I give credit to my job for that, being a police/rescue dispatcher.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

I have been watching this thread and marveling at how both you and Jasper stayed calm...hoping I could glean something out of your experience to help me with my rebel without a clue.
    I read this....
    "Well that explains a lot!!":thumbsup2:

No doubt Jasper stayed calm, because you stayed calm....now if you could bottle that style calmness up and sell it..I'd be first in line for a Jumbo sized bottle...and you'd probably be richer than Mark Cuban by the end of the month!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That does explain a lot! ;) But its not your job that makes you level headed, its your level head that makes you a good dispatcher! :thumbsup2: And that personality is perfect in training Jasper! I hope I get someone like you on the line if I ever need help! (Another concussion? :p )

Let us know how today goes!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Good job on both of your parts!

10. Lizbeli

Aw thanks! I have handled many high stress situations. Stabbings and such, so I can take care of you!

I actually couldn’t take him to the park today, but tomorrow morning he has a few hours of my time scheduled :wacky: Hopefully it is my average day out!

• Like Like x 2