I've made the right decision!

GennyB

Hot Topics Subscriber
This may be a bit long ,but I felt you all needed some history to help you understand why this is so powerful to me.
I was raised in a home where it was imporant to rescue dogs, no puppies, dogs. My dad would say "Everyone can buy a dog, but few will save a dog. So I have always rescued. Then one day, I rescued my first doberman, Chaos and fell in love. He made me look at dogs with a new eye. I had never rescued a true working dog before and the bonus was, he was very well trained. That experince lead me down a new path. I rescued Greta (from the same owners a year later) and knew the doberman was the dog for me.
I met Suzan and began learning some about the breed. Her passion for the breed just fostered my interest. After losing Chaos (DCM) a little over a year ago, I knew one dobie was not enough for me. So Suzan and I began talking about a puppy. Then I got the chance to meet Gunner and Shrock and see them work! Wow, another door just opened! I knew I wanted a well bred pup that I could train and work with. But that was not to be. You see, I have MS and have for years, but as soon as I decided to emark on this journey with a puppy, my MS decided to go progressive. So we had to find a new kind of work. Schutzhund would just be too dangerous with my balance issues. We decided on therapy work because Greta is just so darn sweet and Drake just wants to do some kind of work.
So the point to all this is, we did a practice run this weekend. Our neighbors have 4 kids and the Dad has liver cancer. He just came home from the hospital from an infection, still not feeling well, but better. So I took my dogs over there to do some work. They were both just amazing! They had Jeff (Dad) sitting up laughing and the kids were so happy to see Dad smiling. Then I asked if the kids would practice reading with the dogs and you sould have seen that! Both parents were crying tears of joy to see the kids not worring for the first time in a long time. Jeff got out of bed to come see it.
Drake likes the youngest child, Mathew, a litle boy that is 6 yrs old. Everytime that Mathew would stop reading, Drake would "yell" at him and hit his paw on the floor. Greta just laid there watching like she was listening for mistakes to correct. I just watched with tears in my eyes because it was such a special thing to see.....I knew I had made the rught decision.
I know I am going to get yelled at for not taking any pics but I just could'nt...it was just such a personal intimiate moment, it seemed wrong.
Thanks for reading this "novel", I just had to share this with people that would get it.
Genny

Dobs4ever

Hot Topics Subscriber
I have to say Genny as I read this I too have a tear. No one would expect pictures of a family under those circumstances. We continue to pray for your friend. How sad that a young family has to face this terrible disease and the possible loss of their father.

Dobermans are adapatable. It does not change Drake that his job will be different, it is valuable and serves a greater need. I also pray he will be a support to you as you sturggle with MS. I hope he quickly learns to support you and help balance you when needed.

We have become very good friends and I always enjoy when we get to gether and share our Dobermans. Sounds like he was in his typical Gunner attitude - It is funny that Drake yelled and slapped his paw when the reading stopped. Maybe you need to read him fairytales. He must really like them. I do see a lot of Gunner in that boy!!!

MyBuddy

Hot Topics Subscriber
I want to press LIKE over and over! lol Such a wonderful story! Therapy dog is an avenue that has interested me a lot. From the first time I saw a dog in the hospital, I thought it was such an awesome thing for a dog to do. And I'm a firm believer in the health benefits from it to the patients. I've seen dogs now in many nursing homes, some as a resident dog, some as a visiting therapy dog. It warms my heart every time! I LOVE dogs and I firmly believe in the euphoria they create! This sounds like a perfect avenue for you and your dogs and I'm glad you posted about it! Good for you!

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
What a great, heart tugging story and it's so wonderful what dogs can do to lift a persons spirits when nothing else can.
Thanks for sharing, and don't worry, you won't get a single complaint about no photos in a personal situation like this. :wub:

BreesMom

Novitiate
What an awesome story...I am a bit teary eyed too!! I think therapy dogs really can brighten the day of a sick or elderly patient. Working in a nursing home I see huge smiles and a sparkle in the eyes of residents where normally they sit quite expressionless. Congrats to you and your dogs and I hope you all enjoy many years of therapy work :)

Dobs4ever

Hot Topics Subscriber
AND we need more Doberman in that postion as it really gives people a different view of just how lovable these dogs can be.

Genny have you checked any further into getting the medical service dog approval??? Just wondering.

Max Hawk

Hot Topics Subscriber
Awww me too sniff that's a great story! We love our dogs so much and it's great to see them bring joy to others as well!! Oh my gosh just a bit off subject but had another person come up to me yesterday and give me the dobermans brain swelling wives tale geez who started that idiotic crap story and why in the heck does it seem so prevelent!! I can't tell you right here in this little town how many people have told me that!! I am so sick of hearing it that I would like to rebutt in on a huge billboard all up and down I5 or something:complain:Its just plain weird :groan:

GennyB

Hot Topics Subscriber
AND we need more Doberman in that postion as it really gives people a different view of just how lovable these dogs can be.

Genny have you checked any further into getting the medical service dog approval??? Just wondering.
I have not had a chance to check on it. I think we put it on the back burner because of denial issues. I do joke about training Drake to pull my wheelchair so I won't have to buy a power one.

GennyB

Hot Topics Subscriber
I have to say Genny as I read this I too have a tear. No one would expect pictures of a family under those circumstances. We continue to pray for your friend. How sad that a young family has to face this terrible disease and the possible loss of their father.

Dobermans are adapatable. It does not change Drake that his job will be different, it is valuable and serves a greater need. I also pray he will be a support to you as you sturggle with MS. I hope he quickly learns to support you and help balance you when needed.

We have become very good friends and I always enjoy when we get to gether and share our Dobermans. Sounds like he was in his typical Gunner attitude - It is funny that Drake yelled and slapped his paw when the reading stopped. Maybe you need to read him fairytales. He must really like them. I do see a lot of Gunner in that boy!!!
Funny you should mention reading fairytales. I have been reading to them to get them used to lying quite.
When are you comming to St. Louis?? I would love for you to Drake in his home. Is is very happy just being a goofey boy!

GennyB

Hot Topics Subscriber
Awww me too sniff that's a great story! We love our dogs so much and it's great to see them bring joy to others as well!! Oh my gosh just a bit off subject but had another person come up to me yesterday and give me the dobermans brain swelling wives tale geez who started that idiotic crap story and why in the heck does it seem so prevelent!! I can't tell you right here in this little town how many people have told me that!! I am so sick of hearing it that I would like to rebutt in on a huge billboard all up and down I5 or something:complain:Its just plain weird :groan:
I get the brain thing all the time. Is'nt it crazy??

GennyB

Hot Topics Subscriber
I want to press LIKE over and over! lol Such a wonderful story! Therapy dog is an avenue that has interested me a lot. From the first time I saw a dog in the hospital, I thought it was such an awesome thing for a dog to do. And I'm a firm believer in the health benefits from it to the patients. I've seen dogs now in many nursing homes, some as a resident dog, some as a visiting therapy dog. It warms my heart every time! I LOVE dogs and I firmly believe in the euphoria they create! This sounds like a perfect avenue for you and your dogs and I'm glad you posted about it! Good for you!
I was very worried that being a therapy dog would not be enough work for Drake. I went through some emotional times, even thinking I was not the right owner for this smart, hardworking dog. After seeing him at work yesterday, it's going to be ok. The 3 of us are going to light the world on fire and my dogs are going to put smiles on the saddest folks!

GennyB

Hot Topics Subscriber
I see Gunner in Drake everyday. Just when I think I have Gunner, Jr, poof.... out pops Shrock and all his silliness. Suzan, you know I love your boys, but I think I have the perfect blend of the two of them. I just hope I can let him be all he can.

Dobs4ever

Hot Topics Subscriber
Genny if he lights up your life, helps you along in this journey and stands by your side He has fulfilled his destiny. It might be different than we originally talked about but the outcome is all anyone could ask. The boy is loved, well cared for, trained and is presenting himself as a good ambassador for the breed. Bless you for your love and care for this boy.

obbanner

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
My dad would say "Everyone can buy a dog, but few will save a dog.

Thank you for this posting. Your story is touching and inspiring. Dobies make great therapy dogs and it's encouraging to see Doberman owners getting involved in this.

I used to have Labs and lab/mixes that were rescues (they weren't called that before political correctness, they were "from the pound" back then). I bought my first Doberman at 11 months, my 2nd was given to me when he was two and I bought the last 3 as puppies.

I got some abuse for buying a dog, but knew I was doing the right thing when I supported breeders who loved and tried to maintain the breed. The breeders were also happy that their puppies were going to a good home. As I'm not particularly articulate, this forum is very useful to me in that it gives me cogent arguments to use when someone makes a derogatory comment about having a purebred instead of a rescue.

Shadowlands

Novitiate
thank you so much for sharing this story. You brought a tear to my eye. I have to stop reading these posts while I am at work...I now have the sniffles. No pics necessary...we can all see it in the way you told it to us. :)

Max Hawk

Hot Topics Subscriber
Me too stop making me cry all of you the dogs are looking at me as if to say what the heck is wrong with ya mom!:blush:I always feel a bit guilty too not having a rescue. I always look at the doberman rescues but with the dogs I have already and having my grandson here it's not so easy to fit an older dog into the family; a puppy is so much easier to adjust into the family! But I agree with Art there is no shame either in giving a good home to a pup from the breeders it does help to keep the breed going!!:cool: I can't save the world; but the dogs I have had always had a good home and have brought us great joy can't ask more than that!!:eekwtf:

GennyB

Hot Topics Subscriber
Genny if he lights up your life, helps you along in this journey and stands by your side He has fulfilled his destiny. It might be different than we originally talked about but the outcome is all anyone could ask. The boy is loved, well cared for, trained and is presenting himself as a good ambassador for the breed. Bless you for your love and care for this boy.

Thank you, I really needed to see that!

GennyB

Hot Topics Subscriber
Me too stop making me cry all of you the dogs are looking at me as if to say what the heck is wrong with ya mom!:blush:I always feel a bit guilty too not having a rescue. I always look at the doberman rescues but with the dogs I have already and having my grandson here it's not so easy to fit an older dog into the family; a puppy is so much easier to adjust into the family! But I agree with Art there is no shame either in giving a good home to a pup from the breeders it does help to keep the breed going!!:cool: I can't save the world; but the dogs I have had always had a good home and have brought us great joy can't ask more than that!!:eekwtf:
Never feel guilty about not rescuing. It is a huge responsibilty because you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes the dogs have issues (behavior/health) that they can not overcome and it can be heart breaking. Sometimes it is enough to be a responsable dog owner and just share your knownledge with the ones that may not understand what it takes to own a animal.

shas

Thank you for sharing such a special and inspiring story. What you have done for that family it truly wonderful and the thought of that Dad getting out of his bed to watch is just making me cry. For his children to have such a wonderful memory and for you and your wonderful dogs to have given them that memory is truly a gift from god. Don’t stop the work. :)