• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Is this hip dysplasia?

Vlad

Recently my boy 1 yo now started limping with his right rear and his left hip bone looks bigger than the other and i went to the vet he did x-ray and said my boy has hip dysplasia and there is nothing i can do about it. Maybe some of you guys have had similar experiences? Does it look bad in this x-ray? I would be too grateful if you shine some light upon me!

You want to see the ball of the joint to be round and be cupped solidly by the socket. Your picture shows the ball is rather flattened and rather loose in the socket. If you have access to a pool or water, swimming is the best exercise to tone the muscle in the hips without putting stress on the joints. Also you might ask about joint supplements to feed him.

Here are some sample photos from the OFA website that will give you an idea of grading.

You want to see the ball of the joint to be round and be cupped solidly by the socket. Your picture shows the ball is rather flattened and rather loose in the socket. If you have access to a pool or water, swimming is the best exercise to tone the muscle in the hips without putting stress on the joints. Also you might ask about joint supplements to feed him.

Here are some sample photos from the OFA website that will give you an idea of grading.

Im giving him glucosamine supplements and salmon oil he seems to not be limping after taking these supplements idk if its their doing or the weather getting better he started limping when it was cold

I would stick to real food sources. Do you have access to chicken feet? They are a great source of glucosamine. For fish oil, just feed sardines in water. Probably cheaper this way too. Ask the vet how much glucosamine he should be getting for his condition.

he seems to not be limping after taking these supplements idk if its their doing or the weather getting better he started limping when it was cold
Continue the supplements and as @Kaiser2016 mentioned, real food with those nutrients are even better. That said, those things will not fix the hip joints, only help with supporting it.

I would stick to real food sources. Do you have access to chicken feet? They are a great source of glucosamine. For fish oil, just feed sardines in water. Probably cheaper this way too. Ask the vet how much glucosamine he should be getting for his condition.
Unfortunately he has diarrhea if he eats anything except his kibble :(

Back