1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Is spanking good punishment?

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Kay, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Kay

Kay New Member

Hello! I'm a new owner of a 13week old dobie, I've never had a doberman before but I've had a German shepherd and quite a few other breads. I was wonder if spanking is a good punishment for really bad things ? I'm having mixed emotions because a lot of people say No. However my 13weekout doberman has a bad chewing/ biting (playing) problem and nothing I do seems to be working! I've yelled, I've poletly said no, and I've been sturn, we have plenty of toys that I've gave him after every time I catch him chewing or bitting but nothing seems to work. I need some tips on training and if spanking is a No or not, I do currently have a two year old as well, and I don't want him to bite her. Thanks you!

2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Absolutely no spanking. It undermines their training and trust. He is still too young to understand the rules. You need to be consistent with training. They chew because they are teething. Redirecting helps a lot. Spanking him would be like spanking a baby for wetting it’s diaper. They don’t know yet and need consistent and calm direction from you.
    Are you crate training yet? If not you need to.
    Go to the introduce yourself thread and introduce yourself and tell about you and your puppy and pictures too. We LOVE pictures!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ddski5

Ddski5 $ Forum Donor $

Dobermans require ALOT of attention and eyes on. If you don’t give the proper attention and stimulation, they will find it elsewhere and it usually is with their mouth.

Redirect, redirect, redirect to a chew toy. Don’t be reactive, be proactive. Have that chew toy ready in hand for when he starts biting/nipping at you. I know hard to do, but try to have fun with it.

I don’t believe you are going to stop it all of a sudden. You are just going to have to outlast the teething phase which ends about ~6months. With the redirection, you can get it to calm down somewhat though.

Also, with mine, he was all over the place during teething. Boundless energy, nipping, etc... make sure you have a nap schedule. A Doberman without naps is like a tired baby that needs a nap. Putting my Ragnar in the crate is the only way to turn him off. Let them stay up and the behavior gets more cranky. Make them nap and it settles them somewhat.

No spanking, if you break the trust and he sees you as the opposition instead of Mom...then you have a major issue on your hands. Work with him, try to understand him from a puppy’s mentality as you did when you raised your daughter. He really does not know and wants to play.....it’s your job as the leader to train him. Yes, it’s just like having another child in the house and starting over again. I know, I have three daughters.

Good luck and enjoy the puppy phase. They grow fast and I mean extremely fast.

You can do it....it just takes a lot of time and energy on your part. Most likely- you don’t have a lap dog there, you have an energetic Doberman- big, big difference.

Good luck and really hope it works out for you.

Maybe a Mod will move this to its own thread and you will get more responses from the other members who have years of experience. They were extremely helpful for me.

Ask more questions if needed. Welcome to DChat....

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

@MyBuddy, @Rits could the new posts be moved to their own thread for better traffic on advice?
    Thanks!!

5. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

First of all, no spanking. That said,
    This thread is from 2012,lol
    Bob (sosthenes), as much as I wish he could, won’t be responding to this thread. :(
    I miss that old guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

No spanking! You don’t want him to become hand-shy or fearful of you, and most importantly, it doesn’t teach him the desired behaviour.
    Take your time and train him to give you the behavior you do want in each and every situation.

You want to build trust. You don’t want a dog that can potentially be fearful and/or insecure. By spanking him you are setting him up to fail, he doesn’t understand what is wanted from him and will grow in a fearful, unjust and often misunderstood world.
    They are loyal companions and unlike humans, they are not of a vindicative nature. When he upsets you it is very likely not because he is being unruly or straight forward naughty, rather he simply acts as nature intended him to, and he will not stop engaging in a behavior simply because he doesn’t understand your standards and rules.
    It is up to you to provide guidance and leadership, which can be accomplished effectively in a non-confrontational way.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Moved!

@Kay I moved your posts and others responding to you here for better views. Carry on!

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  8. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree, NO HITTING.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Hitting is not an effective form or training. One would end up with a dog that is very fearful and cowers when someone raises a hand.

Slightly off topic story -
    A family lived down the block from me as a child and had a two children and a Dobermann. One day the father went to hit his child and the Dobermann latched on to his arm and tore his arm apart. He was not about to let anyone hit HIS little girl. That's when I first fell in love with Dobermanns.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I could share a similar story, only husband vs wife. That was when I first started to admire the breed and recognize one of the breeds many strengths.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  11. Kay

Kay New Member

Thank you everyone. This is a question me and my husband were both needing, our house and actually entire faimly is a family from spanking and wasn't sure what route we should go with! Our 13 week old isn't really to open hyper at all, he's definitely a lap dog, he will whine if no one is petting him, he's already spoiled. As far as redirecting we have, we have a bunch of toys but he always finds away. We've had him for 4 days now as I bought him from a breader for my husband for Father's Day. We heard him growling lastnight and we aren't sure if it was at my 2 year old, if so we have a serious problem that won't be tolerated, other then these two things he's a really good puppy. He's leash trained after two days of walking on a leash, and we're currently in the middle of craw training (not so great!) as far as obedience we will have to work on, we're thinking classes, the only one he knows is sit. Thank you all again for the answers.

12. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Growling should be a perfectly acceptable behavior. Train your 2 year old that when a dog growls it means they don't like what he/she is doing and they should stop it unless they want to get bit.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

He is still so new, he is feeling out his place in the pack. Teach him that ALL the humans are above him. I personally DO NOT TOLERATE growling, snapping, teeth on skin to ANY human in our home. I use a loud NO (maybe even bare my teeth and even a low growl, lol) and redirect. THIS is a special very stern, no nonsense voice I use for VERY serious things only. When we got my girl she growled a total of 2 times, once with me and once with my son, she got a taste of Alpha Bitch from Hell and it never happened again. In her case she didn't want anyone sitting next to her on the couch...she lost her couch privileges.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Antman408

Antman408 $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

Great way to get an infant bit or possibly killed and a dog put down. Irresponsible comment.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Kay

Kay New Member

Well my daughter knows that, but a dog shouldn't be growling, she's been around many of dogs before and knows how to act around them she's gentle and also wants to play as much as a puppy if not more!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

And a child should not be unsupervised around dogs.
    There are dogs that don't growl and bite!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Kay

Kay New Member

Well the puppy lives inside, when I go to my kitchen literally a few feet away I shouldn't have to worry, no parent should and that is my only concern, I do know the body language, I've had many different breads before just not a doberman, And this is my first puppy sense My daughter has been born and I'm really just an overly concerned parent like most would be.

• Like Like x 1
  18. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Can't wait to see pics of your puppy!!!!

19. Kay

Kay New Member

I posted some on the introduction form, ☺️

• Like Like x 1
  20. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Dobermans are a highly sensitive and intuitive breed. Being a dobershark as many of us call them as puppies is normal. Redirecting works in most cases but heck I strapped a squirt bottle to my hip more then a time or two for mine when they wouldn’t leave my ankles alone. I only squirt their little butts when I’ve had enough. And no mine aren’t afraid of water, in fact my male regular dives in the pools and yes I mean dives not jumps lol
    As for your child and the puppy I would never ever let them be around each other without supervision. When you notice the pup getting grumpy cuz he will just like your child will get grumpy when tired I would separate them or let it be known to the kid that the puppy has had enough and put him in his crate to let him nap, alone in peace in a quiet place he can call all his own. Crates can create a great balance and most dogs will use that as their safe place, especially when they are older.
    As for training they are incredibly smart I always start mine the moment I get them. Personally I never teach shake or stay. I don’t like shake cuz that gets very annoying I prefer my dogs to keep their paws on the ground, and stay is irrelevant lol

• Agree Agree x 1