1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Is Pasta OK for Dobies (and other dogs)

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by DD4MSpock, Jul 11, 2018.

1. DD4MSpock

DD4MSpock Hot Topics Subscriber

I swear... the stuff people put on YouTube (and that pops up in my "suggested viewing" list)... :banghead: :D

Tonight comes a couple of videos called "Spaghetti Eating contest." Where this guy puts down an equal sized plate of Spaghetti on the floor and then lets his two dogs (a Golden Retriever and a GSD) have at it on his signal.

Here's another with two Goldens Uh Oh.... somebody deserves a "false start" penalty... :D - But he still gets blown away!!! :green: :(

Anyway, point being, is "pasta" something dogs (in general) and Dobies (in particular) can eat?
    I'm starting to consider very carefully that list of things that really aren't good for a dog, what can kill them (i.e. chocolate, avocados, etc.), etc.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

It's just flour and water so probably won't hurt them. Can they eat it? Sure. Should they all day everyday? No. They left the sauce off; that would be No-no's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DD4MSpock

DD4MSpock Hot Topics Subscriber

So, Tomato sauce is bad for dogs? Good to know, because I recall Mr. Spock got into a bit of trouble for polishing off a full skillet of Chilli (with beans) that was left on the range top to cool. Didn't seem to have any permanent effects on him... just the "temporary" ones... (ie. superfluous methane production)... :eek: :D

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

I guess if they don't have an issue with wheat it's ok.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

As a general rule I consider anything that will make me fat will probably make my dog fat.
    Pasta, makes me fat:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I have heard of show dogs being fed pasta for quick weight gain. I'm pretty sure it was a forum member, just can't remember who it was.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

Tomato sauce is usually pretty high in sugar and sodium plus has other veggies, typically, that don't jive with dogs; onions, garlic, etc. I THINK it's the greens and unripe fruit of tomato plants that are actually dangerous to dogs? That's probably why the chili didn't really bother him too much.

Would I plop down a plate of spaghetti and meatballs for our pooches regularly? No. But for a cute youtube video, meh.

8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

It does put on weight quick and is better than satin balls. When Kaiser was in Dober day care, his caregiver gave him pasta. In just 5 days he looked great! Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't feed it. Carbs are sugar and sugar feeds cancer. Now if we have a few extra noodles laying around I'm not going to fuss about giving it to him. It doesn't disturb his stool, however an interesting detail is that cheap pasta will give his stool more volume and moisture. Better quality pasta has near-zero impact on the poop.

9. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I give pasta to increase weight before a show. Everytring in moderation is fine. Some dogs have wheat sensitivity so it’s best to avoid it in those dogs. Dogs aren’t used to an acidics like pasta sauce so GI upset would ensue if allowed to eat a lot of it.

10. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Satin balls can actually be fed as an entire diet...is it recommended to do so...Of course not :)

11. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Not all the time. But I would NOT feed it at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

My boy used to and would still get loose stool from something that rich. Fortunately we've got him sorted out now on a raw diet and the poops are super :woot2: