Is my puppy too Thin? And am I feeding him the right amount for his age?

Shadowthedobi

Hello everyone,

My pups name is Shadow he is 4 months 1 week.

I am feeding him Purina pro plan Large breed right now. 1 1/4 cups , 3 times daily

I feel like he is too thin.

Should I up the amount of food ?

I am also going to be switching him to the Purina pro plan sensitive stomach & skin

About 2 weeks ago i was feeding him

1 1/2 cups 3 times daily and he got the runs ….

Ive attached some pics of the baby boy

Attachments

• 50CB5D6E-B532-4EF1-BC8C-DA09747F89A6.jpeg
    50CB5D6E-B532-4EF1-BC8C-DA09747F89A6.jpeg
    493.2 KB · Views: 34
  • F5B251FF-D1FE-4610-B137-96BB56D1B296.jpeg
    F5B251FF-D1FE-4610-B137-96BB56D1B296.jpeg
    559.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 08257614-354F-4A69-A6F1-F0C7AB3A11EE.jpeg
    08257614-354F-4A69-A6F1-F0C7AB3A11EE.jpeg
    551 KB · Views: 35
  • FA6DD1FC-8C0B-41F1-9043-4FEE93356F8C.jpeg
    FA6DD1FC-8C0B-41F1-9043-4FEE93356F8C.jpeg
    533.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 987F3C3F-17BA-443F-A60B-953BDC9B8242.jpeg
    987F3C3F-17BA-443F-A60B-953BDC9B8242.jpeg
    588.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 743D248F-6B82-4CA9-9A75-70D88E808C33.jpeg
    743D248F-6B82-4CA9-9A75-70D88E808C33.jpeg
    679.4 KB · Views: 31
i think he is pretty good..but i would add some boiled eggs.. or sardines and some sweet potato or pumpkin to his diet of kibble.. even tuna..boiled chicken.. beef liver and even string beans.. get a good variety of healthy food added to diet.. it does not have to be much.. but consistent ....and maybe a spoonful every day of plain yogurt to help add probiotic for digestion. and also just make sure no worms..

i think he is pretty good..but i would add some boiled eggs.. or sardines and some sweet potato or pumpkin to his diet of kibble.. even tuna..boiled chicken.. beef liver and even string beans.. get a good variety of healthy food added to diet.. it does not have to be much.. but consistent ....and maybe a spoonful every day of plain yogurt to help add probiotic for digestion. and also just make sure no worms..
I have him taking a multivitamin ( pre + probiotic, krill oil)

I was thinking of adding this with his kibble …pics attached

Ratio wise how much should i add into his diet if he is currently having 3.75 cups of kibble per day ?

Attachments

• D2AB26F4-1ED7-4429-8DF8-552695E75B8B.png
    D2AB26F4-1ED7-4429-8DF8-552695E75B8B.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 5
  • D9612038-200A-4578-A2B9-FB120AFEB15C.png
    D9612038-200A-4578-A2B9-FB120AFEB15C.png
    275.9 KB · Views: 6
Okay sounds good , What are ypur thoughts on my previous reply with adding the instinct raw to his diet ?
some one more familiar with raw diet should be around to answer this.. i feed fromm kibbles and add all the other healthy additions.. i honestly do not want to get into a completely raw diet with 4 dogs..I do think the above addition of raw you suggested sounds perfect to add to kibble. the amount will depend on how much your dog weights and how much kibble you feed and how much you can afford .. it should say on the package a suggestion of the amount..great that it adds nourishment and taste to bland kibble food...

some one more familiar with raw diet should be around to answer this.. i feed fromm kibbles and add all the other healthy additions.. i honestly do not want to get into a completely raw diet with 4 dogs..I do think the above addition of raw you suggested sounds perfect to add to kibble. the amount will depend on how much your dog weights and how much kibble you feed and how much you can afford .. it should say on the package a suggestion of the amount..great that it adds nourishment and taste to bland kibble food...
I also feed Fromm kibble, been using it 4 yrs. Did you notice the bags got smaller ? They look identical to the old bags except they are 30 lbs instead of 33 lbs. The price stayed the same for a while then they just recently raised the price. I get 2 bags every month, my last order was about $11.00 higher.

i
I also feed Fromm kibble, been using it 4 yrs. Did you notice the bags got smaller ? They look identical to the old bags except they are 30 lbs instead of 33 lbs. The price stayed the same for a while then they just recently raised the price. I get 2 bags every month, my last order was about $11.00 higher.
They have all sizes.. they still have 33 pound bags in our store the last time we were there... ... I will definitely notice it next time.. . the price range is all over the place depending on which one we buy.. sometimes spend $73 for 33 pound bag, other times average price $50.. i have seen the price increase.. so far about a $1.00 but will have to notice if they are giving 3 pounds less....i have been feeding this for approx 8 years because it is one of the few that never had a recall..... poops are great... but always add my extras..

i

They have all sizes.. they still have 33 pound bags in our store the last time we were there... ... I will definitely notice it next time.. . the price range is all over the place depending on which one we buy.. sometimes spend $73 for 33 pound bag, other times average price $50.. i have seen the price increase.. so far about a $1.00 but will have to notice if they are giving 3 pounds less....i have been feeding this for approx 8 years because it is one of the few that never had a recall..... poops are great... but always add my extras..
I called Fromm and was told they are transitioning to the new 30 lb bags. We order ours from Petflow.com. We were paying about $97.00 for 2 bags with free shipping and no tax. This last order was about $11.00 higher. Our breeder is the one that started us on Fromm. She feels like it is a very good product. As you mentioned no recalls on their kibble, that's pretty amazing.

I called Fromm and was told they are transitioning to the new 30 lb bags. We order ours from Petflow.com. We were paying about $97.00 for 2 bags with free shipping and no tax. This last order was about $11.00 higher. Our breeder is the one that started us on Fromm. She feels like it is a very good product. As you mentioned no recalls on their kibble, that's pretty amazing.
Thats pretty good price.. we have to go to the feed store for horse feed and bird seeds etc..i have parrots too.. so we just get it all at once.. oh yes and some fish food.. lol.. thanks for letting me know..

hmm.... this had me curious!

Petflow pictures still shows 33lbs but the site sells the 30lb bags.

DID YOU KNOW!: if you save their UPCs from certain retailers, you get a free bag after purchasing like 12 bags? I actually just cancelled our petflow order because there is a new pet shop a couple blocks away and they said they would carry our Fromm food and gave us the little envelop for the UPCs. I've had issues with petflow shipping via FedEx so was fine cancelling it and supporting a new small business and the price overall shouldn't be impacted because of that free bag.

DID YOU KNOW!: if you save their UPCs from certain retailers, you get a free bag after purchasing like 12 bags? I actually just cancelled our petflow order because there is a new pet shop a couple blocks away and they said they would carry our Fromm food and gave us the little envelop for the UPCs. I've had issues with petflow shipping via FedEx so was fine cancelling it and supporting a new small business and the price overall shouldn't be impacted because of that free bag.
Good to know !

yes thank you.. we have been doing this for years..and it worked well saving the upc labels in a envelope.. now the same store said it will do it automatically through the cash register.. when you hit twelve it is suppose to let you know it is a free bag.. The trouble is i have not got there yet... and i have not kept track of how many i purchased so far..... so i hope this system actually works..

I have him taking a multivitamin ( pre + probiotic, krill oil)

I was thinking of adding this with his kibble …pics attached

Ratio wise how much should i add into his diet if he is currently having 3.75 cups of kibble per day ?

He seems to look ok. Looking down on him he has a waist. You don't want to see a straight line from his ribs to his hips. When he is moving just seeing his ribs a little would be ok.
I would try adding the Instinct to the diet. It has lots of good ingredients in it. To start try adding a 1/4 cup 1x a day. Instinct feeding chart goes by age and weight.

1646148892700.png

Last edited:
Also maybe look at adding a Probiotic to help the Gut. They are very helpful with questions on which products to try.

Hello everyone,

I am feeding him Purina pro plan Large breed right now. 1 1/4 cups , 3 times daily

I am also going to be switching him to the Purina pro plan sensitive stomach & skin

Hello everyone,

He looks fine, from the pix u can't see ribs and I believe 1 1/4 cups 3X/day seems fine. He's not starving and Dobies grow up first yr and fill out second. I feed my girl the same as u for the first yr and she under 50 lbs at 1yr, then changed her to 2 feeding/day 2 cups per and added an egg, T of olive oil, boiled chicken or green peas ect only 3X/wk for a treat. She also gets a chew treat at lunchtime and is 18 months and 75 lbs. Many of us think our dogs are too small too thin...they grow up....lol

Back