• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Is my dog underweight?

KennAndCasper

My 9 month old Doberman, Casper, looks very underweight to me, and hardly eats. He’s always been fussy, but lately he’s been getting worse, and will hardly touch his food, even with plenty of added toppers/mixers, and cooked eggs (won’t touch raw), he’ll just delicately try to remove what he wants to eat and refuse the rest- sometimes he won’t even eat the stuff he likes! He doesn’t get treats unless on walks, and he’s offered food in the morning, afternoon, and evening, and I put it down for a several minutes before removing it if he refuses to even look at it (or my other dog will eat it, and he’s on a diet!). He’s tried Blue Buffalo, Merrick, Orijen, Castor & Pollux, And now I’m trying Merricks Hero’s Banquet for all life stages mixed with Freshpet multi-protein.

My concern is that, while trying to teach Casper to eat what he’s given, he’s getting thinner to the point where I can occasionally see his spine and ribs, and I’m absolutely terrified that this is going to impede his growth- he’s already so small for a Doberman (in my opinion), and now he’s scrawny on top of that! I don’t know his weight, my scale won’t register me holding him anymore, and I can’t take him to the vets due to this retched covid19 business!

He’s 9 months old and still quite small- is he done growing at this age? Will he continue to grow a bit? When do you think a dog really stops growing? I’ve heard 12 months and I’ve heard 3 years(?) is that just the growing period for muscle mass? Will he ever grow out of this?? A8719C4E-73DF-4538-BAF6-32112BCDE6C0.jpeg3DA22483-36FC-4C52-ABD0-54A828AC44AE.jpeg

Definitely not underweight. You SHOULD see his ribs, at least the last two. From the top down photo, he should have a waist. I would even say I wouldn’t want him to gain anymore from those photos. 9mths is still way young. They don’t stop filling out until they are round 3yrs. He could be picky because of all the toppers you add. I would go back to kibble and maybe one topper. He will eat if he is hungry. Unless he has diarrhea all the time, he seems fine to me. Maybe you are feeding too much? How many cups a day of kibble?

That sounds like a lot of different brands in 9 months time. I'd stick to one and maybe stop the toppers...or really mix the toppers really really well and maybe even add some water so he can't pick out what he wants. If he wants the toppers he has to eat the food!

Is he intact? Their hormones can make them go off food, especially as they mature.

I'm also thinking maybe he's trying to tell you its time to remove the lunch feeding and stick with morning and evening. Usually when they go off of the feed its time. Why eat all my food at once when its always available?

Set the food down for 10 minutes and remove. He won't starve himself.

Hopefully with all of those tactics, he'll come to look forward to meal time and eat it all.

I don't think he looks like you have to worry about him becoming "too skinny" anytime soon. He looks healthy.

This is a current picture of my 4.5 year old Dobe. She's on the petite side (24.5" tall, 67lbs):
IMG_20200509_183728.jpg

And an action shot from about a year ago:
_30A0822.JPG

This is Rubie at 9 months old; very awkward and lanky and also a very picky eater at this stage:
IMG_20160910_170314523.jpg

I know photo references always help! Rubie didn't start eating her food in it's entirety consistently until we got Moose two years ago. I think just the extra physical activity and 'doing stuff' with a puppy caused her to decide she needed more calories to keep up. He looks good at this point and will fill out wonderfully and his joints with be much happier.

@Lizbeli
I used to feed him 3 cups a day, but now I’m lucky if he eats one cup of food a day, with whatever I’ve added- usually some freeze dried salmon, freeze dried beef or lamb with added vitamins and typically some Freshpet beef/chicken/egg/salmon multi-protein bits from the fridge. He typically just picks at this meal every time it’s offered, and rarely eats the full dish, avoiding the kibble.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rits
I used to add warm water, and then dog chicken or beef broth, but as he started losing interest with food and wouldn’t eat it right away, once the food got soggy, he would never touch it again (soggy food grosses him out), so I’m trying to stick with things that’ll last and not make to food “gross” (according to him) by the end of the day, when it’s offered again.

Maybe I will try just feeding twice a day, I’m just worried it won’t be enough, and he’ll be hungry and not able to communicate that- I think I’m worrying too much

Last edited by a moderator:
Shes beautiful, and she does remind me a lot of Casper, similar physique and size, I’m just scared that at adulthood, he’ll be no larger than a small young female, and that it’s going to be because of how little he eats.

he’s about 8 months here, but he’s not really gotten any bigger since, in fact he’s even thinner now
E8028DDD-0CC2-4B0D-BC46-88B2A2162614.jpeg

My 9 month old Doberman, Casper, looks very underweight to me, and hardly eats. He’s always been fussy, but lately he’s been getting worse, and will hardly touch his food, even with plenty of added toppers/mixers, and cooked eggs (won’t touch raw), he’ll just delicately try to remove what he wants to eat and refuse the rest- sometimes he won’t even eat the stuff he likes! He doesn’t get treats unless on walks, and he’s offered food in the morning, afternoon, and evening, and I put it down for a several minutes before removing it if he refuses to even look at it (or my other dog will eat it, and he’s on a diet!). He’s tried Blue Buffalo, Merrick, Orijen, Castor & Pollux, And now I’m trying Merricks Hero’s Banquet for all life stages mixed with Freshpet multi-protein.

My concern is that, while trying to teach Casper to eat what he’s given, he’s getting thinner to the point where I can occasionally see his spine and ribs, and I’m absolutely terrified that this is going to impede his growth- he’s already so small for a Doberman (in my opinion), and now he’s scrawny on top of that! I don’t know his weight, my scale won’t register me holding him anymore, and I can’t take him to the vets due to this retched covid19 business!

He’s 9 months old and still quite small- is he done growing at this age? Will he continue to grow a bit? When do you think a dog really stops growing? I’ve heard 12 months and I’ve heard 3 years(?) is that just the growing period for muscle mass? Will he ever grow out of this?? View attachment 108790View attachment 108789
You can tell from the pics that he is fit and healthy! I agree with all others that it's better to keep low weight than allow too much bulk, especially in a young dog. He will fill out and become more in proportion with age but if his genetics are for a smaller dog then that can't be changed. He's not malnourished so won't be stunted by eating little at this stage. Is he neutered? If so he will probably have proportionately longer legs than most Dobes.

Do you do a lot of training? With treats? Filled Kong's? What's his normal daily activity look like?

Before Moose, Rubie would eat better on days we were super active. She's always taken treats at agility class or trials (freshpet is my default).

He does look good but maybe he's getting too many training treats or not enough activity to trigger a need to eat?

Agree with the comments. Also to add, I quit feeding 3 times a day at 6 months. If you cut out the middle meal, chances are the appetite will pick up for the a.m. & p.m. feeding.

What is his height and weight right now? Nero has always been on the slim side and it was an effort to get him to eat until he was neutered. I wish I'd left him intact longer though since I think he would have eventually gotten a little wider. He sits comfortably at 28" and 75lbs now at 4 years old. With more exercise he could easily be heavier.

edit - if you can see my signature you can see his weight in the first year. I'll see if i have a recent photo of him somewhere too but you can check out my instagram Login • Instagram

His parents are both thin but relatively tall- not extremely, but a bit taller than Casper is currently, however, his grandfather was quite small on his dads side.

I’m confused as to what you mean about the leg proportions? Casper is not neutered, nor will he be, does this mean something for his proportions in some way? I assume intact dogs are generally a bit bulkier, yes?

Casper only gets a lot of treats (Freshpet morsels, those are his favorite, he’s not fond of much else) if he’s going on a walk, which isn’t every day, otherwise he doesn’t really get treats besides the occasional dentabone or edible chewbone of some kind, and the occasional peanut butter stuffed bone or kong.

I’ve often wondered if he’s just not getting enough exercise to feel hungry, so I try to really wear him out as much as I can (I have a big fenced in yard) and it never really seems to make a difference.

Yeah, I had originally cut out lunch around that age, and was just doubling his dinner, but recently, with him starting to refuse eating, I started up doing it again, or rather, just offering the breakfast he refused to eat at lunch time, so he would get another chance to eat at lunch- and that’s been the routine since quarantine, basically.

Your dog, Nero, he’s gorgeous. I can’t help but constantly wonder just how big or small Casper might look next to other people’s dogs (..probably smaller..).
I used to have Casper weighed at the vets like every month but now I can’t due to the whole coronavirus thing. Can’t weigh him on my scale anymore because it stopped being able to register me holding him for some reason. If I find some measuring tape, I’ll measure him at the shoulders or something (that’s how it’s done, right?)

What age was he neutered at? I’m not having Casper neutered, which is why I’m worried he’ll be picky his whole life. Hopefully not.

Last edited:
Yes, an unaltered dog will fill out so the elbows are above the barrel of the chest. If you neuter or spay a dog young the growth plates don't close when they should and the legs will likely end up being longer than they would otherwise have been. I have seen photos somewhere here of two male Dobes, one neutered early and the other not and the difference in leg proportions was quite obvious. Can't remember who posted them now. :confused-alt:

Well Nero was neutered at 18 months after no upward growth for 6 months. He hasn't gotten taller since he was a year. I think some of Nero's narrowness is from his chest. He has a very narrow chest that's quite deep. He definitely wasn't neutered early but we were planning on doing doggy daycare and he needed to be neutered for that. I think eventually his testosterone would have leveled out as he matured so he wouldn't be so distracted. I used to try a bunch of toppers etc like you and then one day was like no, either you eat this food, or don't. I used to change flavors but stayed within same brand and now I can switch between salmon or lamb, but even a new bag of food will be a cause for runnier stools so I tend to try not to add variety that way. He still gets some whimzees and starmark treats. He loves carrots, bananas, sweet potatoes, and zucchini (and whole egg.) I also make him do tricks and work for each meal. Sometimes a long stay, other times we're running up and down the stairs, or getting our nails trimmed.

Yes, an unaltered dog will fill out so the elbows are above the barrel of the chest. If you neuter or spay a dog young the growth plates don't close when they should and the legs will likely end up being longer than they would otherwise have been. I have seen photos somewhere here of two male Dobes, one neutered early and the other not and the difference in leg proportions was quite obvious. Can't remember who posted them now. :confused-alt:

well that’s some interesting bit of information I truly didn’t know! I wonder if it’s the case with all Doberman or if some are just shaped too differently to tell? Especially when it comes to comparing like an American vs a European? Intriguing.

Back