1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Is my Dobie getting enough to eat

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by Cerebusmaxx, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Cerebusmaxx

Cerebusmaxx Novitiate

Ok so I got a doberman puppy, and started feeding him a cup twice a day of Merrick puppy food. But when I took her to the vet she said puppies need lunch also. So I fed 3 cups a day breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The dog devours the food in literal seconds each feeding! Like shes never going to get food again. Now she’s sixty pounds easy. I feed her 2 and a half cups, morning and night (5 cups total). Same thing, she devours the bigger portions in a couple minutes. Should she be getting more? Her body looks normal, not overweight....but its hard to tell cause everytging goes to strong bones and muscle. She is growing at a steady rate. Also should I keep her on the puppy food and switch to adult at 12 months? I also give her plain medium milk bones about 4 day as snacks, and various large animal bones that come with bits of dried meat on them.

2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Pics would help!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

All those feeding charts on any dogfood are just starting points. Each dog is different. Dogs have different metabolisms. How active are they. You need to look at the body of the dog.

Puppies I always would feed 3 times a day dividing up the recommended daily amount. I did this up to 1yr. Puppies will devour food just like they are in competition for food with other puppies. And lots of times if they eat to fast and too much they will throw up.
    You can always use this as a training opportunity by feeding his food while training. It will slow them down.

How old is she now??

I would get rid of the Milk Bones. There are a lot better treats to feed.
    Sorry don't take this the wrong way. I will be up front with you. These are CRAP Ingredients in Milk Bones. You should not feed anything with Corn, Wheat or Soy.
    The Meat ingredient. What kind of Meat?????????????? Any food or treat should have a Named Meat Protein in it. The Preservative BHA as well as any BHT and TBHQ should be avoided. Which all in a lot of European countries have been banned.
    [​IMG]
    BHA – A Time Bomb in Dog Food?
    https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/red-flag-ingredients/bha-in-dog-food
    Butylated hydroxyanisole — also known as BHA — is an antioxidant primarily used as a preservative in food, animal feed, cosmetics, rubber and petroleum products. 1. The National Toxicology Program of the Department of Health and Human Services warns that BHA is “reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen” (cancer-causing agent) 2.

Go to this site and read up on Ingredients you don't want to see in Dog Foods. This goes for any treats also.
    The Dog Food Project - Ingredients to avoid
    www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients
    Unnecessary ingredient in dog food. This synthetic version of vitamin K has not been specifically approved for long term use, such as in pet food. It has been linked to many serious health issues.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Drogon

Drogon Hot Topics Subscriber

60lb female. How old? You can switch to 'adult' food but many people prefer feeding an 'All Life Stages' food from the start so you may want to switch to that type of food and you can do that anytime.
    How much you need to feed depends on the food and the exercise level of your dog. It basically comes down to calories in VS calories out. So a very active dog would need to eat more to maintain their weight than an inactive dog.

5. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

We always feed all life stages dog foods. When ours were puppies they were getting 2 cups 3X’s a day. Switched to two times a day feedings by the time they were 10 -12 months of age year

6. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

If he looks like he is at a good weight and growing at a good rate, he's probably getting enough to eat. For whatever reason some dogs think they need to inhale their food. It's a good idea to search for ways to slow him down because it can cause gastric dilation (bloat), you don't want that to happen. There are slow feed bowls available as well as feeding from a kong can slow them down. If your pup is not a chewer, it can be as simple as putting a big rock in the center of his bowl.
    My female was a wolfer, we tried several things before she learned to slow it down a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cerebusmaxx

Cerebusmaxx Novitiate

Thanks for the information. No more milk bones! What are some healhier alternatives for snacks? So much garbage out there.

8. Cerebusmaxx

Cerebusmaxx Novitiate

I had planned on feeding this up to 12 months.

Merrick Real Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Puppy Dry Dog Food

Attached Files:

9. Cerebusmaxx

Cerebusmaxx Novitiate

Yes bloat and stomach issues are a concern. I hear this breed can have those issues. I dont want to over feed. I wouldnt say she gets a whole lot of excercise....mostly just goes outside to bathroom, and right back in under me.

10. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

They really shouldn’t be fed a puppy food because the protein is so high. They need to have a slow steady growth to prevent bone issues later on so a lower protein is recommended. As said above All Life Stages food is best.
    There are raw freeze dried toppers and treats (I have used Stella and Chewy) that are far healthier.
    You can also make your own treats like slicing chicken breast razor thin and putting on parchment lined cookie pan and dehydrating in oven on 150 for 12-18 hrs until all the moisture is out. Then break in pieces, put in jar and refrigerate and only take out what you are going to give, keeping the remainder refrigerated.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

• Agree Agree x 2