1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Inverted vulva and the treatment

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by JanS, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

LOL DobermanGuy, just called it by the name LMAO and now were you have two little girls, you might have tot ake a closer look ;)

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

thanks so much for posting those pic's. i think its very important for female owners to see it and to know, what to look for. i didn't heard about that before, til i think David and tammy talked about it. but glad i got to see it and if i get my girl, i know what to look for :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. GuNNeR The Great

GuNNeR The Great Jr Member

so glad the picture was posted because im starting to search for before and after pictures of heat cycle to see what im in for. this answers everything. now i know paris does not have an inverted vulva. thanks jans

3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's good to hear Gunner. :)

I see I need to update my "after" pic since it was indeed still swollen...

4. hrd2gt

hrd2gt Well-Known Member

I think it worked for Fate as well.. and really... i have seen some dogs at the show... and we got away EASY Jan!!! they would get swollen as big as a ORANGE

5. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

ok so I have finally taken the time to sit and read this thread, and I have to say I think that Penny has an inverted vulva, but she has been spayed since she was almost 5 months old. I have never heard of this until now and am wondering if it is gonna cause her problems in the long run. I know when I give her a bath that I have to clean that area extra well or it tends to get a smell, she has never had any sort of infection or anything, ever, just don't want it to cause problems on top of the problems the poor girl already has, lol. WIll have to see about getting a pic later when the sun is out.

6. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

My goodness, poor Penny! But so far she's been fine, so, that's cool, right? I mean, it's great that this thread is helping educate so many people, me included! I never heard of this before. But so far Penny has lived with this, unbeknownst to you, and doing fine. I don't remember reading long term problems?

7. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

Oh yes MB, she has never had a problem with it, but I had no idea that this exsisted, so I guess that is my question, are there any long term effects of this, if it is not corected? I mean if she needs the surgery or whatever to make it right then we would do it, actually she can't be put under anesthsia again, it could kill her due to her epilepsy, my poor girl, she is such a trooper, amazes me soemtimes, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JanS

Aww poor Penny. I didn't know she had it either.

As long as she has gone this long with no problems, I'm guessing she probably won't develop any (just guessing here). I think the bigger issue is if it isn't allowing them empty out when they pee, and they can develop UTI problems from it being pooled up inside. It doesn't sound like that's the case with Penny, so I really don't think you have much to worry about Tye. :doggyhug2:

Della had the problems right from the start, and had lots of UTI's, so I'm really glad the heat has straightened it out for her. Glad to hear it worked for Fate too hrd. :)

9. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

Well I am not sure, like I said I will try to get a picture of her later, but hers looks a lot like that first pic of Della. But she has never had any problems with UTi's so maybe you all are right and I should stop worrying, as I have said I do more so with her than the others, lol

10. omel13omel

omel13omel Notable member

Nice share......now I know or have an idea on what to do when my Medusa's vulva be inverted in the future..Thanks for the knowledge.

11. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Just wanted to let you know Jan, that those links to the threads come back as errors.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JanS

Oh gosh, thank you Rits. There are so many threads that need to be gone through after the software move, so it's good to know which ones they are. :ty:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Brienna

Brienna Hot Topics Subscriber

Well, now that I think I have this ear posting thing at least mostly figured out (they have managed to last 24hrs now so i'm excited :woot:), I need to ask about Rogue's lady parts. I'm concerned that she may have a bit of a recessed vulva so I thought I would start with asking you guys first. I definitely have to find out if she needs to go through a heat before she can be spayed or not since I have a brother and sister that I will need to keep a very close eye on if she does need to. Here are some pics I took:

LyingOnBack.jpg Sitting.jpg Standing.jpg Standing2.jpg

14. Irishgirl

Irishgirl Jr Member

All I can say is WOW, that vetpractice website, looks like that hurts. I have never heard of this problem either.. I always had males until Jade. Our old girl Jade kind of looks like that I believe due to incontinence really bad. She was treated for UTI and also the meds we give her for incontinence side effect can make her look puffy by her flower?? lol

15. JanS

It does look like it's inverted a bit, but it's not as extreme as Della's was. I would personally let her go through a heat (if you can keep them apart) to let it naturally push out with the cycle, but if you think you might have a problem with a heat it only has a slight fold of skin there so it "shouldn't" cause her too many problems. Have you had any trouble with UTI's so far? If not, you may not need to worry about it.
    The incontinence shouldn't be caused by it, but the UTI's definitely would.

16. Irishgirl

Irishgirl Jr Member

The meds for incontinence if the dose is too high it is a side effect of area getting puffy so I was told ?? But Jade did have a UTI too.

17. Brienna

No, we haven't. Not that I'm aware of anyway. Since I started reading about the possibility of this I had looked into symptoms of doggie UTIs and she doesn't have any of them. The only thing she does related to using the bathroom that seems strange to me is that she pees a little, stops, walks around for another 30 secs or so, and then pees some more. Seeing her do that is honestly what made me check her lady parts in the first place.

I've already talked to my mom about letting Gambit stay with her so Rogue can go through a heat without him having to deal with going through it with her but it means he'd be outside the entire time. I'm hoping he'll do really well with his obedience training and can stay with my grandmother. :fingersx: I know he'll be spoiled rotten if he stays over there, lol

18. JanS

LOL, I'm sure they all like to stay with Grandma. ;)

I forgot that my pics on page one had broken links so I finally got them fixed for comparison for before, during and after the heat.

19. Brienna

Thanks, Jan! I think we will let her go through a heat. Better to and not need it than to get her spayed before and have it cause problems down the road.

We let our peke stay with gma when he was about 8 mths old and she let him sleep on the couch and in the bed with her. Neither of those things happen at home. Let's just say he had a whole new list of expectations when he got home and it took us a while to get him back on path!

• Like Like x 2
  20. mandym

mandym Notable member

Hey Jan, I know you have read my posts about Daisy's UTI issues and she is STILL having them - the bacteria is not completely gone yet. She has already come into heat and I'm guessing shes done? She hasn't bled for weeks but her vulva is still pretty swollen. It has gone down but it still looks pretty big to me. Well I got to doing some research on why a puppy (9 months old) would have such a severe uti that has lasted almost 6 weeks now and I ran acoss something about an inverted vulva and remembered you saying something about Della having that. So I went back through some of the pictures I have taken of Daisy (before going into heat) to see if she had an inverted vulva in thinking that maybe that was the cause of the uti? Here is a picture I found where you can kind of see what it looked like before. I will take a picture of what it looks like now when I get home so you can tell me what you think. I am a little confused of why her vulva hasn't gone down much seeing as she started bleeding early March..it seems like a long time to me but maybe that's normal? Anyway, here is a picture I found to give you an idea 2013-10-29 19.23.23,,.jpg