1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Inverted vulva and the treatment

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by JanS, Sep 6, 2009.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Since inverted vulvae seems to be a fairly common issue, I wanted to get all of the info together in one place for future reference.

This is partly for my own reference as well since there are a ton of good threads on it here, and it's hard to find them all at one time.

So, here are the links all in one place for Cinnia's journey through it.

http://doberman-chat.com/community/threads/cinnias-after-surgery-photo.1895/

http://doberman-chat.com/community/threads/cinnia-out-of-surgery.1881/

http://doberman-chat.com/community/threads/say-a-pray-for-my-cinnia-2nd-surgery.1852/

And a couple good articles on it.
    In's and Out's of Puppy Vulvas

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.c...e-of-chronic-uti-has-a-surgical-solution.aspx

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Good information, especially because I've never heard of it until this Forum!! :dunno:

3. hrd2gt

hrd2gt Well-Known Member

same here.... darn kponza....

4. Loomis

Loomis Jr Member

Skoll has an inverted vulva as well but I dont think its as serious as Cinnia's was. She's in heat right now so Im hoping it will "pop-out".

5. JustDobermans4me

JustDobermans4me Jr Member

yes I had 2 with it...never seen or head of it before either..

6. soundgardns

soundgardns New Member

from my experience inverted vulvas usually correct themselves with a heat cycle.

7. JanS

Thanks for the input everyone.

I "think" it did indeed work for Della since she started her heat cycle over a month ago and I think the swelling has pretty much gone away at this point. It seems that she's popped out now, so that would be great if it stays that way.

I have some before and during heat pics to post for reference, and I need to get an after one before posting them, but Hubby has the camera with him on a trip right now.

8. MyBuddy

Wow, this is new to me too! Pretty wild though...I mean, it sounds weird and isn't it odd that a heat cycle 'pops' it out? :eek: just, wow. lol

9. JanS

Have you ever seen the baboon butt MB? :eek: LOL! All I can say is "holy cow" when Della was in heat... :D

10. MyBuddy

No, but, keep it up...I just might stick to males!~LMAO~

11. JanS

LOL MB! :rofl: I was just comparing the pre-heat to the during heat pics yesterday and it's actually unbelievable to see them side by side. :eek: Hubby will be back later today so I'll try to get the post-heat pic so I can get them posted.

12. MyBuddy

Oh, Please do! :eek: LMAO~

13. JanS

Just an update/addition to this thread and I'm sorry if anyone finds the following pics offensive, but it's a fact of life and important to show how a heat cycle will indeed pop the vulva out in most cases.

So here's Della before her heat cycle with the inverted Vulva.
    Winkie Sept 09 sized.jpg

Here she is during her cycle. As you can see, it does indeed "pop" out...
    Winkie in heat Dec 09 2 sized.jpg

And about a month after. It stayed out, so that's what we were hoping for and now she can go be spayed.
    Butt on snowbank sized.jpg

So, if your female has this condition, it's well worth letting them go through their first cycle (closely supervised, of course) to try to avoid all of the problems with UTI's and other things throughout their life with the inverted vulva.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  14. MomToMany

MomToMany Member

Well gosh, now I'll have to look more closely at Riley's tinkly bits, as I've never thought/heard of this either. :huh:

15. MyBuddy

Well, as shocking as this looks, I'm really glad you posted a photo. Especially 'before and after'. I have never heard of this either and just could not imagine! Thanks for sharing this with us, Jan and I hope Della is not too embarrassed! :(

16. JanS

LOL, that's why I cropped her head out. Poor girl... :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. MyBuddy

What a thoughtful mommie! :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Loomis

Loomis Jr Member

That worked out well for her!! Skoll's is still a bit inverted after her first heat. The vet said that it can sometimes take a couple of cycles before it will stay popped out. Its odd too because from the looks of it she was not as severely inverted as Della was. Hopefully round 2 of her heat will finish the job :)

19. JanS

Oh wow, I didn't know Skoll had it too. Apparently it's more common than many think.

I hope round 2 of the heat cycle does the trick. :)

20. DobermanGuy

DobermanGuy Novitiate

I scrolled past the pics really fast so I couldn't see anything... LOL! :)

FYI - Around here, We refer to that thing as a 'Flower' or the 'Secret'. Hehehehe! :blush: