1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Introducing Sammmy booo

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by AresMyDobie, Nov 1, 2015.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

So sorry you're having the difficulties right now and you just can't have her going after Deegan either. Would gating off a room or two to separate them be an option? That's what we've done so they can get to know each other on their own terms through the gate, but still be able to have the room to move around. There's nothing wrong with crating them, but in this situation, the dog in the crate might feel vulnerable when the other dogs are walking around it freely.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

The Merrick can be pretty rich (I used to feed it) so that might not be the best choice in her situation. I'm thinking some sort of limited ingredient food would be better for now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I have the crates in the bedroom and I close the door when one dog is in there. She really likes her crate honestly that's where she likes to be. I have my living room gated off but I don't want her leaping over it :/ she easily could if she wanted to so I don't feel like he'd be safe. I think it's smartest to crate when one is out and she will have a muzzle on with a long line outside so any cat is safe. I would love to keep her I can tell she could be a very good girl she's very smart but the prey drive will have to be managed by separation. Shes very easy to train and I'm happy about that. I can break her focus from the cat but I know she wouldn't do this on her own. The only time she goes for deeg is when he whines.... She doesn't actively try to get him so in a relax situation like on the bed or couch shes totally fine with him but him whining kicks her brain to hunting/ killing.

4. AresMyDobie

Well this made me feel better :)

5. MischasMomma

MischasMomma Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Now question, just because I'm curious and I think I recall someone saying something about staring before lol, in that video, should she have let the dog stare down the cat for so long? From what I've been learning here, that seemed like a no no (or maybe she's getting there, progress is not going after the cat, next step is not staring it down?)

That poor cat really didn't look happy at all, glad there was such progress for the dog, and thrilled because that definitely gives hope for boo I just can't help but feel bad for that poor cat in the video haha

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  6. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm certainly no expert. I didn't really notice staring down kind of stare like a fight was going to break out like I've seen between 2 dogs of equal-ish size. I'd call it more watching. I think she is certainly still in the learning process. I think it also depends on what the owner is willing to tolerate. I guess some people would just be okay with 'not attacking' the cat.

Personally I think the cat should have been corrected after it swatted the dog but I don't know if you can train a cat like that. I'm certainly no cat person. :D:dobe:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MischasMomma

Haha cats are pretty hard to train. I'm still working with mine, but Mischa still goes after them too. As soon as they move, she chases. But I do excessively praise and pet the cats when they are near her and DONT swat at her lol... There have been a few times when she's sleeping and they will jump on the couch near her. Ive never given a cat correction before lol having lived with cats my entire life I'm not sure on that one I've only ever praised to reinforce good behavior!

8. AresMyDobie

Ok a intense stare is the one to watch it's the super focused fixed look normally followed by the foward motion of the shoulders and the I'm going to pounce... That's what you don't want. A watch or look is different usually a lot of sniffing is involved and I always break a intense stare asap. I will also break a look if it's going on for to long ( you don't want it to transition) I'll just say watch me so they glance a quick. I would never let my cat beat up on a dog but my cat is mellow and has grown up with dogs. "As soon as they move she chases." I would correct that immediately. That's exactly what I'm breaking with Miss Boo. Ares will not chase the cat but he also had to learn that. She immediately goes into an fixed stare followed by body posturing. She has done very well for her first real lesson. Follow through is the key no matter how long it takes you must follow through till your dog reaches its relaxed state of mind. This is recognized by avoidance or laying down obviously relaxed then you reward that behavior with a nice calm pat.

• Like Like x 3
  9. MischasMomma

Ugh I've been trying. As long as they don't move, she listens to "no cat" and/or "leave it" and stops even looking at them. Normally when she does give chase she's too doplic and trips over her own feet then gives up. It's frustrating lol she's harder work than all my parents doberman combined I think!

• Like Like x 1
  10. AresMyDobie

Lol like I said I had to do a lot of lead and body corrections as well as body blocking.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It is entirely up to you, but I think personally it has been too early to say. This is something that will take time to train. She is still in the adjustment period. If you are willing and have the effort/energy to do it, you can figure out a routine that works for your home to make it work. I personally would give it more time (a month+) granted that you can keep ALL animals safe. A muzzle isn't unfair if you make it a positive experience. Slow down and take the time to train that it is a good thing. Separate them for now while you take baby steps. Work your way up to total cohesion. Don't rush this. :)

I also would take her to your vet as soon as you are able to so that your vet can be familiar with her and know her condition coming into your home. Your vet will probably do a much more thorough exam than one that is running through a bunch of rescues looking for any obvious signs for a low fee for a shelter. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

The video doesn't show anything but a cat that is an ass. Would like to have seen what drive the dog actually had and what the problem really was. The dogs mouth is open and breathing normally. When a dog is zoning it will usually have it's mouth closed and a more intense stare. What did they do to correct the dog for chasing the cat? With the cat not moving there is no trigger for prey so we don't know that the dog won't still chase it. Think this video was basically made to try to find a home for the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. AresMyDobie

The vid showed a lot to me and made me feel like it was possible to get her to be around a cat. She goes for it moving or not. I am going to be working with her everyday on this and I know it won't be easy since it was never corrected before. I'm going to go slow and keep her and deeg separated for now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AresMyDobie

Well today has gone smooth :) since giving the Imodium she slept all night no problem and this morning a much firmer stool:) so I'm happy about that I'm sure she is as well. Took her and Ares for a walk. She very well mannered and also reintroduced the prong today. She did good I will be using the prong for helping her break her small animal issue :) I think that will make a difference. We're going to work on ob today, she's very smart and gets things easy all around a sweetie.

• Like Like x 3
  15. AresMyDobie

Here she is last night lol being good image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  16. first dob

first dob Hot Topics Subscriber

Congratulaions to all of you! It looks like she found the right home!!
    Question for you... I am planning on adopting another doberman soon. We have been approved and will start meeting available dogs. How did it go introducing the new dog to your current dogs? I have a 2 year old Dobie that can be a little anxious. They told me to keep them separated for the first few days with a gate or doors. I want to make it as smooth as possible for both dogs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AresMyDobie

Well what I did was keep my two inside while I walked her around the yard then I had my brother take the dobe for a walk while I walked her in the yard then joined them so they were aquatinted and introduce outside the home. They entered the home together and all was good then I introduced her to Deegan the same way so that it wouldnt overwhelm the two. She is not allowed free roaming of the house yet and is kept on lead and prong anytime she isn't in the crate. This will continue till trust us established. I suggest you do the same till you have an understanding of personality :) she likes to go for small animals lol

18. AresMyDobie

I'll also say she has a long road but gets things fast and is doing much better. If you are adopting don't feel bad for the dog. You have to make sure there are rules and the dog gets over its previous issues :) keep moving forward :)

19. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

As far as I am concerned,If that dog in the video had real strong prey drive,the mere presents of the cat would trigger the dog to advance.
    What you describe with zoning is exactly Daisy.
    The GSD we had as a kid was that way.
    I also agree that cat was just being an ass,typical cat.I pretty much think they are all psychopaths who,if large enough to pull it off would eat their owners.
    I think that dog held great restraint,had that been Daisy,that cat would have been ended right after the swat.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

This is what I thought about the video. With no movement, the situation 'can look' calm. Yes, the dog's mouth was open and he 'appeared' relaxed, but the whining and restless movement showed me he is not. It's more of being forced to face these cats with the owner there to correct and he knows it.

When the cat swatted, he probably could have eaten her, lol, so maybe that was a good sign to 'take it' and not react. But I still wasn't convinced that it was a great situation. Yet.

I've had cats and dogs all my life and both were great together. I never felt the cat(s) were in danger but the dogs never showed any danger to them either. My first Doberman had high prey drive but he and the cat got along fine. I would not correct the cat for swatting either. If he had had enough, or felt threatened, that was his defense method and I was fine with that. It showed the dog that he was done and to lay off....and he did. :)

There was no running and chasing in our home between cat and dog. They lived fairly calmly. Now, when our daughter came to town and brought her cat, she was quite bold and stood her ground! lol She wouldn't run, which probably helped the situation. But, once again, if she swatted, I was fine with that. It meant "keep your distance" and that's what I wanted. Respect the cat. Her cat has been through all my Dobermans at some point and has been pretty good. I watch Buddy with her just because he did not grow up with a cat. Our cat had been gone for several years and his only experience with them is probably stray cats outside and I'm sure he's gone after them!
    Yes, Deegan comes first. I know how disappointed you will feel if you need to rehome her, but my pets well being would come first too. It could be so quick with a small dog. :( If it doesn't work out, you will still have done a wonderful deed in saving her life and giving her a chance with the right owners. Getting her back to health and happiness. Good Luck!

• Like Like x 1