• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Incontinence DURING heat?

baleria.m

Hi everyone!
Our girl Luna is 13 months old and going through her second heat cycle, she is about 16 days in and we are ready for it to be over.

Over the last couple days I started noticing she’s been peeing differently..but first I need to start where I think I messed up.
She wears a diaper and doggy underwear over it to keep her from biting off the diaper and we take it off when we go outside. Sooo the other night we fell asleep on the couch and woke up a couple hours later and I took the dogs out for their last potty run before kenneling them. She walked off into the dark and wasn’t coming back when I called her, she was crouched down licking herself and to my horror I realized I had forgotten to take her diaper off :anonymous :
I brought her back in, cleaned her and put them to bed.
The next day we were walking around my parents neighborhood and I noticed she stopped often to pee very little bits, and in the middle of where we were walking, when she usually will go off to the side, almost like she couldn’t hold it in? It happened around 4 times.
Now today we went swimming, she ran a lot too and when we got home I let them potty before going inside. Couple hours later when we went outside we took off her diaper and it was wet? But this time she wasn’t cleaning herself off like last time when she peed on the diaper.
Before feeding them I had her on a sit/stay while I set up their bowls. Once I gave her the ok and she stood up to eat there was another tiny puddle where she had been sitting. Then her diaper was wet AGAIN when we took it off for then to go potty after eating.

I’m extremely confused..We haven’t had any issues with her peeing inside the house since we got her, and obviously she is not spayed, we were going to wait until 18 months to avoid issues like these. Could this be an indicator to a bigger issue? And has anyone had any experiences like so?

realized I had forgotten to take her diaper off :anonymous :
I wonder if this caused a UTI which also causes short frequent peeing. If you can collect a sample, the vet will be able to test it for infection. But, I would also wait for a few more comments from owners of non spayed females to be sure that this isn’t heat related.

I agree that it could very well be a UTI and having the diaper on will intensify it. I have you tried the doggie pants with just a panty liner in it?

I would definitely check with your vet so it can be treated sooner than later.

In my experience with an intact female her behavior is not unusual. There is a lot of swelling going on which can cause her to have to go more. Once her swelling goes down her potty habits should go back to normal.

I wonder if this caused a UTI which also causes short frequent peeing. If you can collect a sample, the vet will be able to test it for infection. But, I would also wait for a few more comments from owners of non spayed females to be sure that this isn’t heat related.

That’s a good take, she hasn’t had any accidents since and her cycle ended a couple days ago. We’re still taking her tomorrow for a check up just in case. Thank you for answering :)

I agree that it could very well be a UTI and having the diaper on will intensify it. I have you tried the doggie pants with just a panty liner in it?

I would definitely check with your vet so it can be treated sooner than later.
Towards the last few days we tried that cause the diapers were getting expensive real quick. It was a lot lighter by the end so we tried pads cause we didn’t have panty liner.
We’re so in sync with our Velcro dog, everyone in our home was on their cycle at the same time haha.

She didn’t have any more accidents since but we are taking her to the vet tomorrow for a check up just in case.

Back