• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Inbreeding ratio

d0ds0t

Hot Topics Subscriber
There are many different opinions about this. Some may tolerate fairly high numbers. What's your opinion about what's a high/low ratio?

Admin: Sorry if this post does not fit in here, feel free to move it to another section.

For me, the research I have done, the general rule of thumb is 5-15% inbreeding co-efficient is considered acceptable percentage for judicious line breeding anything over 15 % and it is considered inbreeding - but between 15% and 20% inbreeding is the level of tolerance before you must breed outside the line to lower the co-efficient back to acceptable levels.

Someone else may have found other teachings or reports - so don't set this in stone, but it is what I have found and have set for myself to follow.

I don't know whats the average, but I have been looking at breeders who have a ratio of up to 15-20-25% on every litter witch, I think, scares me a bit.
There must be a point when the quality of linebreeding gives more negative outcomes healhtwise than the positive?

it seems that this struggle to get that one perfect dog has made people act like mad scientists. Absolutely not helping the already narrow gen-pool and expanding list of health problems.

Breeders are under a lot of pressue on every single decision. I know back when I started I had notclue to any of this but started to notice that the pedigrees had the same dog over and over. That peaked my interest and I began researching and my decision was to outcross, hence I went to a dog imported here from England and not related close to anything in the US. That has worked well for me to this point.

Again I was lucky and they matched well. I have held my line so to speak but the time has come that I have to go back into my pedigrees to bring some thing forward again. I have been pleased with the results and was really estatic to see that I have a solid foundation of PDK4 neg dogs and have already by accident produced my first PDK4 neg litter as the litter was already working when the test came out.

15% to 20% makes me squeemish - but if both the parents come from healthy lines, good temperaments, are structurally sound dogs meeting the standard - then I would not be too worried to get a pet/ companion/competitor with this inbreeding percentage - however IMO if you are looking at this individual for a competitor and eventual addition to a breeding program, before you purchase, you had better be doing many possible breeding reports with prospective studs to see how low the resulting puppy inbreeding percentage can be brought down, resulting in a lower risk for health issues, and still being able to improve on the conformation and also retain breed type.

Back