Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Impacted Anal Gland

Discussion in 'Senior Dobermans' started by Ingrid H, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

So Hans has had problems around his butt. He had a growth removed from close to his anus and now he's had what looked like really infected zits (2 of them) on the other side of his anus that he licked and made bleed. I was afraid it could be perianal fistulas, but the vet quickly determined that it was impacted anal glands and pulled some disgusting stuff out of his butt. Now he's on some really expensive antibiotics.

The vet suggested adding some fiber to his diet such as pumpkin or bran to his food to keep his insides scraped out. I guess my question is if maybe bone might be even better in the form of raw chicken necks, wings, backs and ribs.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 8
  2. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

How has his poops been?? Well formed, soft, diarrhea???

Can try this supplement.
    FiRM UP! – Diggin Your Dog
    https://digginyourdog.com/product/firm-up
    This super supplement was created for your pets health… because we DiG your DOG!… and your carpet. FiRM UP!+ Cranberry Pumpkin Super Supplement 4oz Bag 100% USA Pumpkin, Apple Fiber, Cranberry. FiRM UP!+ Cranberry not only slows down your pets ride on the “Hershey Highway”, it provides urinary tract support as well.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Ingrid H

His poops have been perfect- firm, well formed, well segmented (we count segments LOL usually 5-6)...

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

If it’s forming segments, doesn’t that mean it’s already firm enough, or perhaps even too dry?

I’d go with the raw chicken if you’re already comfortable feeding that.

Seeing that supplement gives me the idea that a homemade mixture of ground pumpkin seed and egg shells might also work

5. Ingrid H

Yup, I'm good with raw chicken, but your other ideas are fantastic!

• Like Like x 1
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Aww poor Hans! I don't really have any other suggestions but do keep us posted on how things are going.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ingrid H

The antibiotics are doing wonders for him. He's got another appointment on Valentine's Day to look further into his butt and to clean his teeth. It looks like both of his upper canine teeth are cracked. He just recently stopped playing tug , so I suspected a dental issue. He may be in for some extractions as well.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  8. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

How old is Hans?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I’ve been following this thread, Ingrid. Delighted to hear that the antibiotics are working and that you’ve seen some positive results. Excellent!

You’ve noticed his displeasure for playing tug, too. Dental pain, as we all know is very distressing. Sometimes extraction is the best treatment for them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ingrid H

He will be 10 next month, and his teeth are very worn from all of the marrow bones he has enjoyed through his life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ddski5

So if you had to do it over- would you still allow Hans to have at those marrow bones or would you significantly reduce the amount he had.

Reason being is that Ragnar loves knee caps and femur bones. I give him one every two weeks. Sometimes with rain though my wife may give him more than that.

Your thoughts?

12. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

May I suggest giving Ragnar a dehydrated beef trachea stuffed with ground beef and frozen?

13. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Della needs an extraction since I guess she has a lot of dentin worn away on one tooth. She's never really favored it but I noticed that her whole cheek was swollen one weekend when I came home from job training. I always thought Albert would be first for dental issues since her teeth are sparkling white and his get some buildup on them.
    I honestly think bones are supposed to be good for their teeth but I guess it depends on what they are and how they're prepared.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ddski5

A dehydrated beef trachea stuffed with ground beef??

Damn.... I am hungry Ant.

Get the trachea from butcher shop at local Wal-mart? We don’t have free standing butcher shops around here. How long of a trachea to stuff 9”?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

I use these Bones & Chews Beef Trachea 6

I stuff them and freeze for a week then serve. It’s messy though lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1