I'm impressed!

Spryte

Hot Topics Subscriber
Gotta brag about my Beretta. She went off the deep end barking in the back yard and wouldn't quit. I went out the back door - she met me there and then led me to the back yard - where a black headed buzzard had landed in a tree about 12 feet up. . (For those who don't know, black headed buzzards are known to attack, kill and eat small animals, including newborn lambs and goats. We have chickens that were loose in the back yard.) By this time the other two dogs had "woke up" and Gunnar was trying to jump up and get it (which of course he could not) It moved to a close tree, then to a tree close to our fence. The entire time Beretta was patroling and barking! She never barks at night when the other two are barking at who knows what. I'm proud of her - she's just a puppy!

When all 3 dogs go out an night, the other two are half the time barking at "something" - she never joins in, but sits facing outward on the porch.

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
That is awesome!

With my first Dobe, he didn't bark unless there was a reason. I loved that about him! It seems that so far, that's what you've got there!

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
I will say, though, I've always discouraged my Dobes from barking at birds. Could lead to excessive barking, or worse, chasing a bird for a long distance (my theory anyway).

Spryte

Hot Topics Subscriber
Thank you for your point. We have and are training her not to bother our chickens when loose, which has gone remarkably well. She ignores other birds out here so far. A black headed vulture has a wingspan of 52 - 66 inches and the body is 22 - 29 inches long. Listed as a bird of prey - and flying under the trees in our backyard over our chickens, I really believe she correctly viewed it as a threat, though I doubt she was in chicken saver mode. 😁