Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

I screwed up posting badly

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Crimsonark, May 26, 2019.

1. Crimsonark

Crimsonark New Member

I have a three month old blue Dobe male, Zion. He had been posted twice by the vet after recovery from surgery. When I picked him up Friday, the breeder said they needed to be down Sunday. When I took them down, they stood perfectly and stayed. I thought, though, at three months, I should just go ahead and repost. In the late ‘90’s-early 2000’s, I wouldn’t have done this. They stayed until they flopped, then back up. I also used the tampon and skin bond method. I got four Dobes’ and one Dane’s ears to stand with no issue. Could have done it in my sleep. I wanted to try the new backer rod, Coban, Elastikon thing, though. I failed. First attempts, he got them out pretty quickly and they were 100% flopped, folded in the middle. I switched things around and they stayed but I was moronic enough to wrap Coban on the outside. When I took them off, there were so many wounds! I feel awful! I have supplies to do it the old way, but I won’t be able to get air to the many places that are open wounds. He got them cleaned out immediately with alcohol, they were left loose last night, and are scabby today. One ear just feels swollen towards the base and it has the worst cut around the back of the base. He’s on oral antibiotics and I put neospirin on it today. He still eats and plays. They’ve flopped so much with my failed postings and now these awful wounds I’m just wondering if I should give up for humane reasons. I was a moron to put Coban on the outside of the ear and a moron not to just do it the way I always had before. I don’t want him to suffer and I don’t want to completely lose his ears. Any help or ideas?

• Empathetic Empathetic x 6
  2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome!

Sorry to hear of these troubles. I don't know what Coban is, unfortunately.

I would say if there is any way to post the ears without covering the sores, do so.

The way I post, and the way many others do as well, is to use just two pieces of tape on each ear: One at the tip and one low down at skull level. I take it even further and only have one thickness of tape over the flesh, rather than wrapping it around multiple times.

Perhaps with this tape-minimalist approach you can get them posted and have the wounds heal at the same time?

Any pictures to help us see what exactly we're dealing with?

3. Crimsonark

Crimsonark New Member

Coban is kind of like the dreaded vet wrap. I think no matter how loosely you apply it, it just tightens on itself. I like the minimalist taping idea. Some of the worst wounds are all around the base of one of his ears, though. Insides look good. I retaped the ears, but too much tape and likely temporary since one of them (the worse one) is beginning to ooze through the tape. I applied neosporin and let it dry before taping, but I know it had to hurt and I felt like throwing up. I just don’t hold out much hope that allowing them to stay folded until completely healed will save the crop. I’d rather lose my crop than my pup, by a long shot, but I can see if I can figure out how to tape around the worst spots, I guess. It would be tricky, but worth a try. He’s still playing like a tornado and eating great right now though, at least.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

I'm no expert, but I think at 3 months you have plenty of time to heal and re-post and be OK. I'm sure more experienced folk will chime in and help you with more specifics. Don't beat yourself up! I've seen lots of posts here that sound like the end of the world and they have happy endings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

:dontpanic: First, at 3 months, you still have time to let the ears heal and still post. Depending on the type of crop you may just have to post longer. Second, as for posting, back wrap the backer rod and push it as deep as you can while pulling up on the ear, you can't hurt the ear drum since there is an angle at the bottom of the ear and no matter how far you go you can't hit it. Put baby powder on the fur side of the ear so the tape will not stick to the fur and only use 3 pieces of tape. One at the tip, one in the middle and one at the bottom. Zonas tape works great. There is tons of info on this site on ear posting, read it all and you will get plenty of ideas on how you want to do it. Just remember to breathe! You can do this, just stay calm and keep trying and you will get the hang of it! :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Crimsonark

Crimsonark New Member

7. Crimsonark

Crimsonark New Member

Thank you so much! I’ve felt so bad for the little guy, but I have hope now he can fully heal and still maybe have a beautiful crop!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Crimsonark

Crimsonark New Member

C26869D8-A8FF-416C-870C-D825A9929A6C.jpeg My relief grows by the minute! I’m so happy I don’t have to choose between salvaging a crop and making my beloved guy miserable. He is so tolerant and stoic and everything Dobes are supposed to be. THANK YOU for the relief. This was Zion’s crop before I reposted and boogered it up. His vet in Salt Lake posted them that time and I had just taken them down.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Firestar Dobe

He is adorable! I would never let a vet post for me, they may do great crops but very few know how to post well! Besides, posting your dog's ears forms a deep bond between you and can also become a pleasant experience for both of you! I know how hard and frightening it can be when your pup is having any type of issues, and I also know how easily the old "Monster of Guilt" can jump on our backs when we feel we did an "oops"! Guilt has nailed us all at one time or another so you are not alone! I have had my fair share of those old guilt feelings! This will turn out fine with a lot of patience and deep breathing!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  10. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I personally have not used adhesive in the past. I've gotten by with just tape and back-taped rods (tape with sticky side out to stick to inside of ears); but I wonder if you would benefit from using adhesive to help make sure those posts stick to the inside of the ears as you use perhaps less than ideal amount of tape around the ears due to the sores.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Crimsonark

Crimsonark New Member

Yeah, the breeder had her vet do them until I got him home. I had had done it SO MANY times, but that was 18 years ago last time, so as you’ve heard I’ve had some hiccups! No vets around here will even touch an “evil” ear crop anyway even if I wanted them to..

12. Crimsonark

Crimsonark New Member

80029B61-0254-450F-91D0-40666C6DAAE8.jpeg 39BF45CC-50D7-4E01-A4FA-B4E35698E108.jpeg
    That’s how I always used to do it, with skin- bond, a vet-wrapped tampon, then light taping. Thought I’d try how others were doing it these days, but you know, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Above are Guinness and Lyric, posted in around 1999 and 2001 without a hiccup. Could have done my old method in my sleep. Just hoping I’ll still have time and a chance with little Zion.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life Member

He is adorable!!!! I'm no expert either but I think you still have plenty of time to let the ears down to heal then start posting.

I agree with firestar, you may just have to post longer.

Best of luck and welcome from Michigan!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Crimsonark

Crimsonark New Member

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I can’t tell you how welcomed I’ve felt here and how reassuring everyone has been. Zion is my little guy first, so I just want what’s in his best interests and I’m so glad maybe I can let him heal AND save the crop.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Firestar Dobe

Do what works best for you. I really think it will turn out and your little guy's ears will end up being great!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

So handsome! We had an issue with bad sores and reactions after we found out the vet that the breeder brought our guy to used starter fluid to make the tape stickier before putting it in our boy. Needless to say we left them down to flop while they healed. After that we used a cross between zip tie and molefoam. It's not used by many but it worked great for our guy and saved the outside of his ears.

You still have time and I would go with whatever way works for you and that you are comfortable with!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Crimsonark

Crimsonark New Member

Thanks so much! That’s about the worst thing I’ve ever heard! I’m glad vets around here won’t touch cropped ears. His poor little ears are down now, flopping and healing. He’s still playing, eating, and acting like a total goob, so my first priority, his health, seems intact. I’ll just concentrate on getting that back 100%, then get back to ears. I don’t mind posting for an eternity after he heals if it will get results. :)

• Like Like x 4
  18. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Plenty of time to get them healed and repost.

Just keep us updated as we have read your story and now are vested in Zion.

Too many folks log on, ask questions and then never update.

Beautiful pup by the way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Crimsonark

Crimsonark New Member

Oh I will definitely keep you updated. Glad to have other Doberman people to talk to. My family really do not care for animals at all- parents and sister- I live alone and my neighbor friends are actually afraid of Dobermans. Zion is my fifth in my lifetime, but it’s been awhile. It will be great to talk to people who understand why there is no other creature on earth quite like a Doberman and no words to explain it to people who don’t get it. :)

• Like Like x 4
  20. Crimsonark

Crimsonark New Member

Update on Zion. His worst ear has scabbed over completely and, in fact, the scab is right over where the ear breaks over so I think his ears are not only ready to be posted again, but it might actually take some of the pressure off that scab to be held still and not flopping around all the time. I plan on using skin bond inside the ear to hold the post in pretty well on the inside so the tape can be pretty loose and light. It’s going to be hard with the scab at the base of the ear, a place you really want to reinforce with tape, but I really don’t want to put tape over the scab. I hope the post holds and he doesn’t get it out (he’s extraordinarily hyper- never had one quite like this),but we’re going to give it a try. A major question, though. His ears have been flopping around for over a week and have a pretty good fold in them. He will be four months old June 13th. Should I try this? Is there any hope? As you can see in the above pic, they stood beautifully after a week in his vet’s last post so they certainly were capable of standing at one point. What do you think?