Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

I can not decide on what lines I prefer

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by GfG, Jan 12, 2020.

1. GfG

GfG Novitiate

Hello!
    I have found two breeders I like. One where I like the breeder more than the dogs, and one where I like the dogs more than the breeder. I feel like I am running in circles trying to find the "perfect dog" for myself. I love doing fast CAT, agility, and barn hunt with my current dog. But, I would also like to try IGP with my Dobe. The current lines I am looking at have agility, fast CAT, and barn hunt titles, but when it comes to IGP they only have one or two IPO I titles in their pedigree, neither sire or dam have a title. I feel like they need more IPO titling, but my worry by getting a dog that has more IPO titles and working titles in general, is that I will be getting too much for myself to handle. Where I think of dogs with an IPO III title, I think of working dogs who live outside the home and are only brought out to work. Is that correct? I really just want an overall athlete and companion that can excel at anything I put them through, so now I am thinking I need more of a working-line.. Can anyone help me out?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Welcome from NM. My goals are the same as yours: to do all the fun stuff plus try my hand in IGP - I got a puppy from working lines and I'm totally pleased with her, but is "a lot of dog" and a strong willful personality. Even in the same litter, a careful breeder can place puppies with the right owner depending on your goals. A lot of working line dogs, you will find pups that grow up to do agility or nose work or rally, not all will be IGP competitors. Best of luck, keep us posted on what you find. Also there is a Breeder Section on this forum that might be helpful to you.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Is there any chance you could spend some time around dog events to get a feel for what would work for you? Any IGP clubs close enough for you to visit? I would think that would be your best bet to get an idea of the kind of commitment you'll have to make.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome!

If you don't want to try to title your Dobe in IGP, then you don't need to have IGP (IPO, Shutzhund) titles in its pedigree. You can readily wind up with an athlete that is very trainable and capable of a range of things by going with a Dobe that has things like agility titles and such in its lines.

Now, you say "...anything I put them through." If part of that anything is IGP, then yes, you want to have titles (as high as possible, but this ain't a perfect world) in those types of sports or to have accomplishments in protection work. One reason for this is that the ability to have an effective bite (full-mouth bite and strong, good grips) has been bred out of the Doberman for the most part. It is really only in Dobes from proven working lines that you will find good bite capability and also the nerve and hardness to naturally face an assertive human and address them with confidence and not be inhibited from biting them (as directed under training of course).

I have gone with proven working lines for my last two Dobes. Yes, they are more of a handful and a pain in the neck to live with! I phrase it: They are not as good at being pets.

That said: NO! It is not the case that high level working Dobes are kept outside in kennels! They are kept in the house as family members. In fact, my current boy's owner/breeder/working handler pampers her Dobes (and I think babies them too much), yet they achieve high level IGP titles.

The Doberman is sensitive and is really a paradox. It's like a diva, whether it's a male or female. (Would a male diva be a divo?) They like the finest of everything, and lots of affection and closeness, but they are ready to turn vicious (in the best sense of the word) in a split second.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

I meant to say this in my post - thank you for saying this @Oh Little Oji - I think everyone on this forum will agree that no Dobermans can be kept outside the house successfully, no matter what.

6. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

My dogs are all kept inside, now they are kenneled and each get time out in the house but if you get a good working line with an off switch they are the best.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I suppose I read her post differently?
    I read outside the home as in not an around the family, not literally outside.

@GfG
    I’m not sure where that line is on an IPO dog and regular family interaction?
    My friends boy went IPO2 I believe.
    He was a pretty well balanced boy.
    927E97EE-4DC4-48A2-9DA0-490F39C8E7B3.png 0F7ABBEF-B1FD-4B8F-A134-70442F7F5863.png

• Like Like x 2