Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

How to update microchip info?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by ArdynBane, Jun 10, 2019.

1. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

I need to update Bane's microchip number if we want to go to trial. He is imported from Europe, and I contacted my breeder if she knew how to change the information on his microchip or the brand of the chip, and she didn't know. I have his pedigree papers, so that chip must be registered somewhere?

I called my vet here in Canada and she said she doesn't know either because 1. it's international and 2. she wasn't the one who implanted the chip. Even so, would someone's information show up if the chip was scanned? My vet is telling me the chip is coming up as not registered, but again... His pedigree papers have his chip number? I know the papers can't be fake, as I got it directly mailed from the kennel club he is registered with.

Does anyone know how to update microchip info from imported dogs?

2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Maybe call the kennel club he's registered with. Something had to be submitted for it to be on his pedigree/paperwork. (right?)

Add: The kennel club that he was originally registered with

3. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

What chip reader does your vet have? I have a world scan that will scan all chips, some scanners will only read certain kinds of chips. You may have to get it check with a different scanner. If the chip went bad you will just have to get a new one implanted then fill out the paperwork and send it off.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Doberman Gang

It would probably be easier to just have a new chip implanted then send that number off when getting you scorebook. Chip readers that read all chips can run $300-$400 dollars. When I trailed at Midwest KG Regional a month ago there was a guy there that had a dog that the hosting clubs chip reader wouldn’t read. He was not going to get to trial, they told him he should have his own reader. Luckily I had mine with me and let him use it to read his dog.

5. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

When we Imported our Female she was chipped but the chip was not registered anywhere. The breeder (who is also a Veterinarian) implanted the Chip, scanned the Chip # and wrote it in her Passport. So we just chose a company to register it with. I believe in Europe most chips are ISO FDX-b Microchips which are 134.2 kHZ
    So yes it will need a Universal Scanner.
    But our local Vet scanned her and the chip # showed up.

Also as the dog gets older Microchips can migrate to other places from where they were implanted. I have seen some that migrated from back of the neck into the shoulder area.

Then there are different recovery companies to register the chip with.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  6. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Ok I read this better. When a chip is scanned only the Chip # will show up. No owner info will show up. The only way owner info shows up is when the Chip # is searched in a Data Base. Some places you can do this yourself to see just if the chip # is registered to someone. So most likely your breeder like ours implanted the Chip and then did not register it with owner info with a recovery company.

As you can see from the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) in the U.S. there are many companies and more to register the Chip with.
    Participating Microchipping and Pet Recovery Services | AAHA Universal Pet Microchip Lookup

Participating Microchipping and Pet Recovery Services

Currently, these companies are incorporated into the tool:

• 24PetWatch Pet Protection Services
    • 911PetChip & Free Pet Chip Registry
    • ACA MARRS
    • AKC Reunite
    • BC Pet Registry
    • BeKind PetFind
    • BuddyID™
    • EIDAP
    • Found Animals
    • Furreka
    • HomeAgain
    • Homeward Bound Pet
    • InfoPET
    • International Pet Registry
    • Microchip I.D. Solutions
    • Nanochip ID Inc.
    • National Animal Identification Center
    • PetKey
    • PetLink
    • Petstablished
    • Save This Life
    • SmartTag Microchip

7. Doberman Gang

Home again will send you a bill each year so be careful unless you just want to keep paying them. They tried that with us. You can register it thru your vets office. You will also have your scorebook documentation once you send off to your breed or working dog club.

8. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

We have all our pets registered with 24PetWatch.

9. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

Sorry, I didn't get any notifications about the responses.

I discovered one of the chips was manufactured by EIDAP. I called them and get the one registered, but they also registered his second too that is linked to his pedigree from FCI. The chip that has his pedigree is Serbian, and the rep at EIDAP told me it would be very hard to find manufacturer, but his other chip thats on his passport is from EIDAP, so "good quality and recognized everywhere" as she quoted.

For trial, which one should I use?

10. Doberman Gang

It doesn’t matter, I would choose the one that is easily read by the most chip readers.

11. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

Is there a way for me to figure that out? So far only my vet has ever scanned it.

12. Doberman Gang

Do you know what kind of chip/chips are there? How many numbers are there?
    I would just go to the vet and ask tovscan your dog. You need to do it since you will be the one doing it at a trial. Scan the shoulder and neck area first, since that is the most common place for the chip to be, when you find it write down the number then re scan two or three times in that same area and see if you continue to get the same chip reading. If so, use that number and remember aprox. Where you scanned it so you will find it easy on Trial day. My club will actually do a scan on dogs periodically at training so people can practice this, some chips migrate and can be hard to find so it is good to keep checking especially when coming up on a trial.