Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

How to train my dog to be an inside dog

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by LuckyBoy, Jan 8, 2020.

1. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy New Member

My dog basically is home half of the day inside with us. How can we begin training him to be an inside dog all the time? having a hard time with even his bed. He tears up all the beds ive gotten him. I just want to make sure he wont tear up my moms couch. Lol just basic training to get him to be alright while we are not there. Please help

2. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

If you are just talking about when you aren’t home, crate training is the answer! If you are worried about him chewing whatever cushion you put in the crate there are a couple companies that make durable crate pads. I think mine was from “K9 Ballistics” but I can’t remember.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AnnV

AnnV Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I found Primopads.com on this forum and it works great with my dog who also chews everything.

4. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy New Member

Its more than that. Im worried about him tearing the house apart. Also i heard it was bad to leave him in a crate longer than 3-4 hours...

5. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

How old is he?

You want to know how to keep him from tearing up the house? You have to spend a lot of time with him inside making sure he is not doing the behaviors. And then if he does these behaviors, then immediately correct or redirect to something different.

Ragnar has never chewed furniture or couches....just isn’t his thing. But I still won’t leave him in the house by himself, he is smart, michevious shit!! If I leave for 2-3hrs, then he goes in the crate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes! Thats the brand I got. It has held up beautifully and is super easy to clean.

Your dog will be fine in the crate for a few hours as long as he gets his daily mental and physical activity. My Jasper can be in his crate for 5hr spans a couple times a week. I give him a benebone or a frozen kong and when he is done chewing he just sleeps. In fact, even on my days off he has a nice nap around the same time I would have gone to work.

If he is tearing up the house while you are home its going to take hands on training like Ddski already mentioned.

GL!

7. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

As others have said...crate train!
    How much exercise does he get before he is left alone in the house? By 9:00 a.m. my guys have had at least 45 minutes of a quick paced walk...along with play in the yard.

I rarely leave mine alone in the house...since right now I don't have room for their crates...but if I have to leave them .....I wear them OUT before I leave and I'm not gone more than a couple of hours.

MY personal thing...I don't play tug with any kind of cloths items(ropes and such)...so they never get the idea that cloth anything is for them to chew on.

Would it be possible to have someone come in to give him a break, potty run and 30ish minutes of play time, at the three hour point or so?

Don't hate me...

But there's no such thing as "just basic training".

Yes there are basic things you teach them to do....but you don't stop there.. that's like letting them drop out after third grade and saying
    "OKAY! You got the basic..now go get a JOB!!!"

Training is a constant.

And that's comin' at ya from a very exhausted owner who has a little over four-year-old that is going back to square one for training for some behavior issues that developed recently.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Way worse to leave them outside. A Doberman is an inside-only dog.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

And there’s nothing wrong with that!
    Rocky sounds similar to Ragnar. Never chewed furniture. He’s never destroyed anything in the house except his own bed. A couple few of them, lol.

He’s also never spent a day in a kennel.
    This new Dober girl is our 3rd Doberman, and this is our first crate.
    She is just not ready to be inside alone unsupervised but that is the plan/goal.

10. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

i second this. My dog destroyed two k9 ballistic “chew proof” pads. The primo pads been in his crate for a few months and he’s made zero attempts to destroy it.

11. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Crate train, ours are crated when we are gone. Safer than them being out where they could ingest something they shouldn’t. Some days that might be 8-10 hours. Your dogs safety should come first.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. BamMoMoMommy

I'm still finding my way around the site...the search function is a valuable tool.
    Use it to search for threads on crate training and take advantage of all the knowledge that is here.

We had a Dobie come to us that had been a strictly outside dog(four year old)....and getting him to adjust to being indoors was an adventure. We worked in small increments of time bringing him into the house,gradually increasing the time......AFTER a good play time so he was tired and didn't have the energy to spaz out once inside. He never did really adjust to being indoors, but we did get him used to being inside, in his crate..... at night...and during extreme weather times.
    Outside he was in a 10x10 pen with a shade cover and a well insulated dog house....and that's where he was always most happy.

13. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

How old is he?

As long as he's exercised mentally and physically when out of the crate, 3-4 hours is nothing. He'll learn to go in and settle right down. Our dogs are crated at night for at LEAST 8 hours and go in themselves when they're ready for bed. During the day, we've left them up to 7 hours but that's unusual for us. We work close to home to our spoiled doggo's got a lunch time break but yours will learn your routine.

If he's not used to being in a crate, you can look up something called "Crate Games."

My 67lb Doberman and 78lb Lab both have 42" crates. If you're worried about him chewing stuff, I wouldn't put anything soft in his crate. We did buy cots from K9 Ballistics as they're chew proof but offer something more comfortable than the plastic tray in the crate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Where is he 'the other half'?

Are you still as busy as you were here? Busy life problem

Crating is the answer but it needs to be tempered with lots of activity and training. I work from home so I am with my animals a lot but I know there are a lot of folks on here that work a normal schedule and their dogs are crated during their work hours. Giving him the benefit of a break in the middle of the day with a dog walker etc would be very beneficial to his well being and bladder.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

We use 3/4” rubber horse stall mats cut to fit there kennels. Everything gets destroyed. My wife does but bath mats to lay on top of them but I have 2 of my 4 dogs that are huge chewers so nothing for them.

16. BamMoMoMommy

WOW.

Edit to add.....didn't mean for the WOW to be rude...I was a bit stunned by the enviroment you are working with, with the guy.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  17. jim g

jim g New Member

If you don't give your dog the opportunity to run, and I mean really run they can get destructive. They have way too much energy
    to keep them cooped up and they have to burn off that energy somehow. I've never had to crate any my three so far. Right now my 6 month old has the run of the house except for two rooms and comes and goes to the yard as she wants through two dog doors.
    If I don't take her out and run her hard almost every day she start's looking for toys to shred. Luckily she hasn't torn up any furnture or her beds but soft stuffed or squeeky toys don't last 5 minutes around her even when I do run her. Every now and then I catch her working on the corner of a throw pillow. Right now I restrict her to large knotted ropes and nylabones until she get past this phase and the weather gets better.
    She's still teething so that doesn't help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  18. BamMoMoMommy

Based on the information in the other thread......seems there are other people in the life of this guy?
    Will they work with him? The one who leaves latest for work is the one who secures him for the day and the one home at 4:30 can get him out and about?

19. Maja Rocks

Maja Rocks $ Forum Donor $

Good for you,

I agree that dobermans are not outside dogs.
    They simply are not well suited for the elements.
    With their short coats they easily get very wet and cold in the winter and dangerously hot in the summer.

Also the breed is not mentally suited to being left outside alone.
    Many describe dobes as "velcro" dogs. As such they are not "wired" to spend very much time alone or in isolation away from their person or people..

Boredom ,loneliness and isolation can lead to separation anxiety & destructive behavior and is often at the root of 95% of behavioral problems.

Dobes are a working breed and need a job.....
    Hint: If your dog loves you "their job in their mind is watch over and protect you..... If you are not around they can't do their job and get very stressed out.

But on to your question...
    1st things 1st a few questions to help us help you....
    How old is your dog?
    Is your house a safe environment for them?
    Basically have you dog proofed your home like you would baby proof your home?
    Example are there electrical cords that could be chewed? Any chemicals, poisons or choking hazards?
    Anything they could hurt themselves by chewing (eating) or playing with?

Maja is my 6th doberman and I crate trained all of them.
    She is always in my sight, by my side or she is in her crate.

I don't let my dogs have unattended run of the house until they are about 2 years old.
    And then it is slow transition. At 1st is very short periods like I go to the street & get the mail.
    Then I slowly add to the time to the period I am away.

I know several trainers that sucessfully use "Nanny Cams" the ones with speakers to keep an eye on their pups and correct them with their voice.
    Example the dog is not allowed on the furniture.
    When they see their dog go to get on the couch a loud & firm NO ..OFF! Comes thru the speaker.
    If the dog obeys its followed with a "good boy or what ever marker they use so the dog knows it has performed the requested task correctly.

There is tons of threads and info on crate training.(Way too much to cover in a post)
    Dogs have the instinct to be denning animals.

The key to crate training is to never use the crate as a punishment.
    For our dogs it is a comfortable & safe place in our bedroom.
    Right next to our bed where she sleeps at night and she can go to if things get hectic or scary.
    When we had our holiday party with lots of people, noisy kids and music . It was sensory overload and she needed a break she put herself in her crate
    Often late at night or if she is super tired and simply wants to sleep and not be petted she will go lay down in her crate on her own. Same with bad thunder storms or fire works she will put herself in her crate.

Good luck you will find if you approach this right both your dog and you will be much happier over all as a inside dog
    MR

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. BamMoMoMommy

This works with older dogs also. Both boys will follow commands over the speaker. We trained them by working from outside the house. We would start the vehicle and drive it down the road and walk back...THEY thought we were gone.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1