Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

How To Post With Breathe Right Strips

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Archer, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

So you think you're done posting with backer rod, but the ears aren't quite standing like you want. You might have a solid base, but the tips might flop a little bit. Have no fear, there's an answer. Breathe Right strips!! Yes, Breathe Right strips. The product that's helping the nation with snoring cessation and saving marriages everywhere could be just what you need to perfect your dog's ears. And here's how.

WHAT YOU NEED
    • Breathe Right Strips (I like the EXTRA as they are a bit stronger)
    • Artificial nail glue
    • Nail Polish Remover
    • Isopropyl Alcohol or alcohol pads
    • Cotton balls
    • Scissors
    • Zonas tape
    • Permanent marker
    • supplies.jpg

Don't forget the cute, unposted Doberman puppy
    image.jpg

STEP ONE
    • Remove Breathe Right strip from package.
    • Put tip of strip to tip of puppy's ear. Draw along edge of ear on to the strip so you are tracing the width of the ear on the strip. Make sense?
    • Cut the strip along the lines you drew. This should fit the width of your dog's ear at the tip where you will be placing the strip.
    Here you can see where I cut the strip to better fit her ear. I did not take a photo of the ear tracing, but it's pretty straightforward.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    • Recheck size of strip you cut to make sure you don't need to make any adjustments. Recut if necessary.
    STEP TWO
    • Using cotton balls and alcohol, or your alcohol pad, gently clean the inside of the ear flap of any dirt or oil. I clean from tip to base, concentrating on where the strip will be. Allow to dry.
    • You can also shave the inner flap of the ear where the BRS will be attached. This seems to make it easier for the strip to adhere to the ear. If you do shave the ear, clean the ear flap with alcohol after you shave.
    Step 2.jpg

STEP THREE
    • Using your nail glue, apply 1-3 drops across the tip of the strip (where you cut). Do only one strip at a time as the glue dries quickly.
    • Then put drops down the middle of the strip. I like at least three drops, if not four.
    • Then add a few drops across the tip you didn't cut. This will be the part that sticks closer to the base
    You can kind of see what I did here. I had not put the glue on the bottom tab yet as I was taking the picture and didn't want to get the glue on my hands.

YOU CAN ALSO USE DUOEYELASH GLUE OR TORBOTS IN THE PLACE OF THE NAIL GLUE. IT SEEMS TO WORK BETTER THAN THE NAIL GLUE. IF YOU USE THE DUO OR TORBOTS, SMEAR IT ACROSS THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE STRIP TO ENSURE ADHERENCE OF THE STRIP TO THE EAR.
    image.jpg

STEP FOUR
    • Time to glue on the strip! I apply the top tip first. Straighten up the ear by pulling up gently on the tip of the ear, like you do to post. Place strip on tip of ear. Apply slight pressure and hold for a few seconds, still pulling up on the ear.
    • Do the same for the center portion.
    • Apply the bottom tip to the inside of the ear. Press firmly!
    Step 4.jpg

STEP FIVE
    • Sit back and admire your work :)
    • If you want extra reinforcement, you can wrap some Zonas tape across the top and bottom of the strip to reinforce it. Be mindful of the ear fold when taping and tape in it's natural direction.
    This is just a quick picture I snapped. It's of Archer's ears. He volunteered to be an ear model since Aria is currently in posts. It's not the prettiest tape job, but it shows you where to put the tape.
    Step 5.jpg

Congrats! You made it! Will be posting a Breathe Right strip removal post int this thread once I take the pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Archer

mandym. Hope this helps.

Ugh! Why does my silly iPhone always post the pictures in the wrong orientation!!??!!

3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Thank you for getting this together Ainsley. Very helpful info.

I'll try to get your pics in the right orientation. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. mandym

mandym Notable member

Question: What if her ears are wanting to flop more in the middle? Should I lower the BRS? This is a picture of where the problem is (I have drawn arrows to show where)

And thank you thank you thank you for posting! :) edit.jpg

5. JanS

If they're not strong right there in the middle I'd keep doing the regular posts. The Breathe Rights are really only for when the rest of the ear is solid and only the tips want to wiggle a little yet. What a cute girl!

• Like Like x 1
  6. mandym

mandym Notable member

Only one ear is weak in the middle. I don't want to post like I did in the beginning with the tampon. Is there a way to post without shoving something into the base of her ear? I know she is going to rip the post right out if I post like before. toward the end of posting she destroyed them just about everyday and it was starting to irritate her ears

7. Archer

Thank you!!!! It is so frustrating. I actually went into the computer and changed the orientation to be correct for the post. Errrr!!

8. Archer

Unfortunately, I don't think so. If you posted just the top (fromthe arrow up) with backer rod, it would defeat the purpose as it would weigh down the tips and just add to the problem you are trying to fix.

9. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 1
  10. Davis

Davis ♕Dobezilla♕ Hot Topics Subscriber

Thanks for posting the video :) I'll be using this very soon!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Davis

Oh one more thing, are these okay to get a little wet? If i let him pee and its raining outside will they stay in tact ?

12. Archer

Thank you!!! I love your posting video. It's come in handy for us, so I wanted to give back in a bit of the same way ;)

13. Archer

They "should" with the artificial glue, but the fabric of the BRS might get wet and if allowed to sit on their ears may cause some dermatitis. Personally, I would make sure they don't get wet but that is just me.

14. Davis

Did my first try with the breathe rights, looking good with your help! How often should I change the strips?

• Like Like x 2
  15. JanS

Since they aren't in the canal at all I just kept them in until they started loosening up, then I just easily pulled them off. For me they usually lasted at least a week.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Archer

Yay! I am glad I could help! We of course need to see pics ;)

Like Jan, I change them as they start to loose their stickyness, or just start falling off.

17. Chelsi7911

Chelsi7911 Member

Really good tip! Pardon the pun ;)

18. Silent Dobe

Silent Dobe Well-Known Member

Just tried it for Vex's ears. He's out of posts for now. We will see how this stands up to him lol!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Archer

Good luck! It worked well for Aria at the end. We need pictures of the process of course ;)

Crap...just realized I never posted on how to remove the posts. Pretty self explanatory imho, but pictures always help.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thanks for the tutorial. I think we are getting close to going the BRS route and this was helpful! :) I just took him out of posts last night and his ears are strong.

But last weekend when he was out for a day the one tip got a little floppy. (you can see in this picture).

Attached Files: