Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

How ta Keep this dog warm?

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Pudding, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Pudding

Pudding Jr Member

We put a doggie shirt on him, and he bites at it and pulls at it and he'll damage it. I had to pay money for that shirt. It seems I can't put any kind of garment on him. And he wants to chew and tear up any nice, new, comfortable, padded, warm bed too! Sheesh!

What's the best way to keep a Dobe pup warm in cold weather? Help me please! :)

Use a heat lamp on him at night?

2. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Princess never allowed any kind of garment on her. When we lived in CT we would be out in all kinds of cold weather. If it was below freezing we would just do our business and then back in. But other than that as long as they’re moving and running around the cold never really bothered her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

If they're inside I mostly use a blanket to cover Della up and Albert could care less, usually. When they're outside with us, they're active enough to stay warm so I'll just use boots if it's below 0 so they can keep their feet warm long enough to do their business.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm guessing you keep the heat on up to at least 65 in the house? If so they should stay warm as long as they have bedding they can burrow into if they get chilled.

5. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

How old is your puppy, again? Why do you think he needs a t shirt? Does he act cold?
    Personally I think if they're old enough for house breaking (potty training) then they are old enough to start getting acclimated to the weather. Of course every dog is different but I bought a nice winter coat for Drogon and 99% of the time he'd rather go without it. Same with dog boots. I bought a nice set, actually 2 nice sets. He walks well in them and they don't really bother him in that way but he'd still rather go without them. Unless it gets below 0F I don't even put anything on him.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. MischasMomma

MischasMomma Site Sponsor $ Forum Donor $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Most dogs dont like clothing on them. They weren't "made" to wear clothes like us. Clothing for dogs, I believe, is more for the owners lol... That being said, all of our dogs do have fleece jackets for when its colder out. Theyre only used outside as the seasons change and temps drop quickly- like now. It's 60s during the day but 30s at night and I feel its a drastic drop so ill throw the coats on for our night time walks. Mischa learned to deal with it, but I honestly think shed prefer to go without. Its not something I would keep on her just to lounge around the house. She too will rip up and eat bedding, so her crate is bare. I do however have the heat up a little higher in her room. At night, shell curl up in bed with me for a few hours before she goes to her crate, byt shes happier on top of the blankets than under them. Unless your hpuse is unnaturally cold, or you're leaving him outside (please tell me youre not!) he should be fine, and will keep himself warm.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Maybe that's his way of telling you he is not cold.

We have a couple of coats. They are in a space bag until I figure out what to do with them. Maybe I'll donate them to MWDR?

I don't think I have ever seen my dogs act cold with the exception of Greta. She would get chilled until we get her thyroid in a happy place.
    Rumor did give a little shiver the other night. It was somewhere in the 30's and raining. When it was time to come in I dried the dogs off at the door. Rumor did the brr dance for a second. She was fine once she got inside so nothing that warranted a coat.

Good question! Dobies are definitely house dogs. A coat and dog house just won't cut it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pudding

Pudding Jr Member

Nope. We like it cold when we sleep.

He's a house doggie, but he likes being out during the day. He also likes his Thunder Shirt on. Bought him a Carhartt Chore Coat the other day, but it hasn't arrived yet. That should help keep him cozy.

I hear ya. Trust me, I'm not buying clothes for my dog that's more for me. I'd rather save the money.

5 months old. Why the shirt; I've noticed him shivering in the morning and he doesn't like the rain falling on his back while he's handling his bidnass. :)

9. Pudding

Pudding Jr Member

He has gotten accustomed to his shirt. He seems to like it now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

The rule in our house is if you tear it up you go without, so most of our dogs sleep on rubber horse mats in there kennels. My wife gives them blankets occasionally, as long as they don’t tear them up they get to keep them in there kennels. Some times they last sometimes they don’t. They don’t wear coats or shirts in the winter, just go out and do there bussiness then cone back in.

• Agree Agree x 1