Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

How should I treat my shy puppy, will he be aggresive

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Genta, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Genta

Genta New Member

My 3 months old dobbie, got him less than a week, is very shy (or what I would define as shy) with humans. Like often when i walk him in my house and someone approach us he would back away and try to get to his kennel. He tends to follow me around like every second and isn’t curious(try to sniff or initiate activity) with other humans. He cries almost everytime in his kennel though it did got better now. Also when I picked him all of of his sibbling tried to know me but he didn’t just sit in the corner. And he is not aggresive at all.

2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

He's still very much a baby in a new environment without his mom or littermates so being a little shy is to be expected, I would think.

My Dobe, and most generally speaking, is pretty aloof or indifferent to strangers. If we're out in public with her and someone wants to pet her, I give her the option of approaching them if she's interested and if she's not, I tell them sorry, but she's not feeling it. Don't force your puppy into interactions with strange people or strange dogs BUT work on him focusing on you and ignoring them. That's better 'socialization.' If you have people over, for instance, have them ignore the puppy. If he wants to interact with them, then they may.

He'll get used to the folks you interact with most being around and will probably come around to trusting them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hi!

Some Dobermans are just naturally shy and not too courageous. Did he come from a breeder? When I have been conducting my search for a Doberman puppy, I have tried my best to determine if I am likely to wind up with a shy one, or a confident one. Then I pray and see what I wind up with.

The best you can do is socialize him and do everything you can to build his confidence.

When you ask about being aggressive in the future: Are you wanting him to be aggressive, or wanting him to not be aggressive?

4. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

Something that really helped Jasper as a young pup was socialization classes. He was maybe 9 or 10 weeks old. First two classes he was so scared of other dogs and people so he laid on my lap. At the third class he was on the ground exploring. After that, he was moved to the pen for the more outgoing dogs. Even with ones bigger and older than him. I watched him transform from a very scared pup, to a confident little thing. I honestly believe it plays a part in his confidence today.

If you do this make sure you go to classes that are actually watched by trainers. No “free for alls.” And check what the requirements are for vaccinations.

5. Genta

Genta New Member

Not to be aggressive