How much space is truly needed?

DD4MSpock

Hot Topics Subscriber
OK, I'm starting to get that Doberman itch again. :D And I'm wondering if I can do it within the constraints of my present living environment... in particular, my house/land. And trust me, there isn't much.

Currently, I live in a single floor 3bd/2br with 1130 Sq ft. of space on a 0.2 acre plot of land in a pie shape (it's in a cul-de-sac). So, the plot is wider in the back yard. If, for example, you cut a pie slice and then cut an additional circle at the center, that's what the plot would look like. my_property_drawing.jpg

Please note that the curves are not as "curvy" as seen in this diagram. they are more flat. The front of the house is near the smaller half circle. The straight lines on each side of the house and to the back of them represent 6' white privacy fencing (PCV) and gates that surround all but the very back side of the property (which is open, no fencing). The right side has 4' picket fencing on its side and that is because there is a Wetlands Conservation Easement directly behind the property that, per HOA regulations, I cannot block my neighbor's view of (since the HOA owns all that property). The house itself is to one side (the left side when facing it) so there is more room in the back on the right side.

Thus, the question. Is this enough room in which to raise a full size doberman? I had always thought no. I wanted a place where the dobie could run unleashed and get good exercise. What, then, is a decent sized running length for a dobie that would support a good level of exercise? I'd be concerned that just allowing the dog to run around the back yard (where I'll have to put up another picket fence along the back... that is permitted) would not be sufficient... ie. the dog needs a lot more room to run. In that case, then I'd have to find a dog park somewhere that's closed in, and then let 'em run free in that enclosure. Either that, or I walk him on a long leash around the neighborhood or into the Wetlands Conservation Easement.

Or, perhaps, am I "overthinking" the need for that much exercise? I honestly think I would have enough room for a decent Frisbee field, but it's just the free running that bothered me. The dog could run the length of the back that faces the Easement but, again, I don't want it to seem to the dog like a "hamster in an exercise wheel..."

At this point, I don't see myself as being able to find a larger property (although it could happen). But assuming not, I wanted to see if I can make this one work. I know pretty much I'll have to keep the dog leashed when walking outside the property (leash laws, etc.), and I have yet to deal with the "neighborhood" and their aversion to large "big, black, scary dogs..." but we'll see. Anyway, I didn't even want to think about it until I can make my present environment work. Let me know if you need more "specs" on the property.

Caveat: This is not going to happen overnight. I haven't even begun to do the financial analysis, etc. (what it will cost to raise one) and breeder selection, vet selection and all that stuff. But none of that will matter much if I don't have the proper environment in which to raise one.

Any thoughts? :)

We live on almost 2acres and Ragnar has the entire backyard to himself.

In saying that, Ragnar does not run the large backyard like one would think. He only runs if I am out there with him throwing the ball or playing tug.

He truly loves it when I take him to the fields and he can fully run in full stride. So we go to the fields ALOT, mindful he is trained with the ECollar.

I believe that if you give yours the quality attention and training that they require, they will adapt to any environment you put them in.

There are always pros and cons. I believe you have enough space with the attention and training they require of you. And evidently you have had one previous so.............what do you think?

Just meant what do you think about starting the project to get the Doberman? He has to make the decision in the final analysis.

My girl lives on 7 acres but will not roam around unless I'm with her! She has a rock solid recall so we go off leash hiking and walking all the time. And she'll chase balls or sticks until she drops.
I've had Dobes before with little or no yard so was always committed to leash walking if we couldn't get hiking trails or open fields. Again, you need that recall.
But I've never had a super high drive dog.
Putting the time and effort into training is a priority regardless of the size of your yard.

Our dogs pretty much just go out to potty and stretch there legs, so as long as you have a fenced area that you dog can Go out and potty you probably are fine. You will still need training time, walks ect...

That looks very similar to my friends house and yard and she has 2 Dobermans with no problems. As stated, they both get regular runs in bigger areas but it can easily work for you.

Remember exercise doesn't have to mean physical. ;)
We have a member that had a dobie in an apartment in NYC. Your yard looks like an upgrade. :)

Agree with what’s been said. Our TX Home is on a cul de sac and is a reverse pie shape lot with a pool in the back. lot is .5 acre but the majority of the fenced in area is just the side of the pool. Plenty area for them to do their business, toss the ball, and flirt pole. But majority of the physical exercise is done in the soccer fields off leash. The rental property we are in in VA is .25 acre and not fenced. All outings are on leash in the neighborhood. We do lots of off leash at the fields and on-leash hikes. So you’re property is very doable.

Back