Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

How much excersise does a male doberman need ?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by HarryHuver, Jan 31, 2019.

1. HarryHuver

HarryHuver Novitiate

Planning to get a doberman puppy this summer. he will be used mainly as a training pal while jogging and biking

How much physical excersise does he really need ?
    As a minimum he will get a short 15 minutes walk three times a day,
    in addition he will be taken on 1,5-2 hours mountain bike rides 1-3 times a week

can i leave him alone at home for up to 9 hours a day, or will he get bored and destructive ?

how easy is it to get him trained to go off leash ?
    he needs to go off leash when i ride off road, and there will be some sheeps around. is the doberman a natural hunter ?

this beeing said, my previous dog was very well trained and was allways going off leash all ways.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome! Great questions!

I'll take the off-leash question first: YES, they are natural hunters! Prey drive is one of the qualities that abounds in most Dobermans. Extreme alertness, especially outdoors, is another. These two things make it difficult to obtain off-leash reliability. One factor that weighs in our favor is that most Dobermans love to be with their people. So, while there is danger of them running off and getting lost, or getting gored or slashed by a deer, or hit by a driver; if they can make it back to you, they will. I hear so many reports of people's dogs running away, and I'm like: That's just not in my Dobe's makeup.

I recommend putting in the training to work toward off-leash reliability. There are methods to help achieve this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Oh Little Oji

Young Dobes need a lot of exercise – really a mix of exercise and stimulation. That said, it is possible to get them accustomed to your lifestyle and accepting what you offer. Really, my regimen with my working-line Doberman (you might say high-energy/high strung) consists of two walks per day of maybe 15-20 min. each. I do let him pull me on a leash tied around my waist, so this provides considerable physical exertion for him. That said, he is up for the days I give him a higher level of exercise as well. I run with him often. He's my running partner really. I do sometimes have him run alongside my bicycle up and down my no-outlet street. I do this off-leash so if he darts to the side after a squirrel he will hopefully not take me down. It took training, and proper introduction to off-leash freedom to get to this place though!

4. Oh Little Oji

Nine hours at home alone is doable, but not when very young.

I highly recommend crate training! Yes, they are likely to destroy things in your home and may well ingest some of them which is very dangerous and expensive to treat if you catch it in time.

But yes, in the books I've read the common limit assigned to being left alone at home is 9 hours. I suspect this number might be chosen to coincide with the typical 8 hour work day.

5. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes, they need adequate physical AND mental stimulation.

As for running/jogging with him...the impact of a forced and prolonged run can hurt their forming skeletal structure. 18/24 months is a good age if you intend running with him. Start slow and gradually build up distance and speed.
    They all differ and require varied amounts of exercise. It's about getting the balance right. Not too much, so they are physically exhausted nor too little that they become pent up with frustration through lack of adequate exercise.

My girl is 5 years old and has a minimum of 1.5hrs a day exercise with approx 20-30 minutes a day obedience training and mental stimulation games thrown in.

9 hours is a long time and certainly a puppy would not be able to hold it that long. Possibly a 9 month old onwards.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Crate training for when you are gone. Might be ok in the house alone once 2-3 years old and properly trained but crate is a necessity in my opinion. Physical exercise needs to be held off until growth plates close at about 16-18 months of age. So short training sessions and short walks while the puppy is growing.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

Hello and welcome! Each dog is different, but with mine (who is also half GSD and I have no idea about the lines from either side) he is very high energy and drive. If he doesn’t get moderate to high exercise for at least an hour and a half, two hours a day, he is in your face driving you crazy. He could literally go all day and be fine. He is very nearly three years old now, he also has a high prey drive and if you throw something (ANYTHING) he will stop whatever he is doing and take off and get whatever it is he’s after. He is very Velcro and I never worry about him running off from me, I let him run off leash on my property as I live in a rural area and have 25 acres. I do know he would chase something, but only til he got so far away from me. I wouldn’t let him off leash if there was a chance of running into other dogs as he does not like them, at least not at first... he normally gets along just fine after he gets to meet and greet but the initial reaction is “OMG ANOTHER DOG MUST CONFRONT!!” Lol. Mountain biking would be great exercise, I never exercise mine on any sort of pavement as it’s horrible for their (and our) joints and bones. My “yard” is literally a mountain, and it does wonders as far as wearing them out with the inclines and declines and natural obstacles such as fallen trees and boulders. I’ve trusted him to stay outside of the crate since he was a year old, he gets anxiety being in one and he’s had a couple minor mishaps but for the most part is well behaved.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Oh Little Oji

Here already you can see how little exercise and stimulation I give my high-drive boy compared to most. It has to do with what you get them accustomed to. I suspect it also has to do with having him well trained and knowing his position in the pack, and me being very no nonsense.

I should note that training is integrated into daily routines. I don't set aside special time to train him.

That said, do give your Doberman as much ex/stim as the seem to need, or you might have a frustrated, bored Dobe on your hands and that is trouble.