Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

How much do you exercise your Doberman during the winter and really cold days?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by dobielover64, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Get a Bike Tow Lead. It makes biking a lot more fun and safer!

2. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

I fabricated an attachment for my bike (If that talent isn't in your box) you can buy one...a word if buying one....money has everything to do with function...30$ doesn't cut it with big dogs...you need at least a 100-150$ for bigger dogs. 250$ might be
    over the top, but like I said $$ buys a better attachment. The cheap ones will break in a short time or just don't work from the start. If you can fabricate one for you bike that's best, because you can make it bullet proof....Good luck. (amazon)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kyanne

Kyanne New Member

Kyanne and Bete both stay on the patio or running in the yard. Down here we "may" have 6 weeks of Winter. In the Summer they have an overhead large fan to cool and TV to watch the Animal Planet. Really. They stretch out on the tiles and love it along with Kitty Belle (Calico-swamp-cat).
    And we only have a few weeks of Spring and then it gets hot. HOT. I only bring them inside for a Hurricanes or Tornados. Kyanne can be extremely destructive. :) Kitty eats inside and then wants to go back outside.
    Sometimes 7-12 times a day. Glad I'm retired! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Same here, Spring is just the beginning of summer for us.
    My two expect me to go outside with them EVERY single time, even the quick potty runs. They bounce around to go out, so I open the door, then they stand there waiting for me to join them. Gets frustrating when I am getting ready for work and there they stand waiting for me to hold their paw while they go potty.:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

5 Ways to Help Your Pet Stay Active During the Winter

While cold, dreary weather is great for snuggling on the couch, it can put a damper on your fur buddy’s outdoor exercise routine. Check out these tips to help your pets stay active during the winter months.

1. Create an indoor play area
    If you have a spare room, basement or garage, you can easily transform it into a doggie playroom for the winter. First, clear a space large enough for your pooch to romp by removing unnecessary objects or pushing them up against walls. If it’s not already carpeted, put down an area rug or some artificial turf so your dog won’t lose his footing on a slippery surface. Once complete, you’ll have a cozy indoor space for games like tug-of-war and fetch with soft toys!

A cat tree will create a fun place for your kitty to play while the weather outside is frightful. Cats love high places that give them a prime spot to watch over their environment, and cat trees also provide lots of small spaces to hide and relax. They’re also made of a material that cats enjoy scratching, which will help keep your furniture safe from destruction.

2. Play Hide and Seek
    Try hiding healthy treats throughout the house and encouraging your dog to find them. You can also play with friends and family members by having them hide, giving your dog a piece of their clothing to sniff, and then having him hunt for the missing person. Have them call out from time to time to help your pooch if he’s having trouble. This game will exercise your dog’s body and brain while helping to heighten his sense of smell in the process!

You can get cats in on the fun by hiding small portions of food around the house in bowls or feeding toys. It’s actually healthier for them to eat several small meals over the course of the day, and studies have shown that animals enjoy their food more when they have to work for it. Hiding toys is another fun way to keep them active as well. However, before beginning any new feeding schedules be sure to check with your veterinarian.

3. Visit dog-friendly indoor locales.
    In parts of the country with rough winter weather, long, leisurely strolls are unpleasant at best and impossible at worst. Instead, to fight off cabin fever and get some short bursts of exercise, try visiting a local pet store to pick out a new treat or stopping by a dog-friendly coffee shop to enjoy a beverage. If your pooch has buddies in the area, you and the other pet parents could even take turns hosting indoor play dates!

4. Teach new tricks (or practice old ones).
    Tricks like sitting up, shaking hands and rolling over aren’t just cool ways for your dog to show how smart he is, they’re also great exercise! Sitting up and rolling over help build core muscles and are great for balance and stability. And shaking hands gives your dog’s shoulder muscles a nice, healthy stretch. Once your dog has mastered the trick, you can work his way up to sets of 10 reps for a solid workout!

Believe it or not, cats can learn tricks like sit, fetch, come and stay too! Pick a new trick and practice for a few minutes each day until your cat has it down pat, being sure to use healthy treats for both encouragement and rewards. If tricks are old hat for your kitty, then practice them each day for a dose of healthy exercise.

5. Schedule a day at doggie daycare.
    If the weather is too miserable for the dog park, find a reputable doggie daycare facility in your area with an indoor playroom and drop your pooch off for a few hours at a time over the winter months to give him time to romp and socialize. Try checking with your veterinarian for recommendations, and be sure to visit the facility first to make sure it’s a good fit for your fur buddy!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

6 ways. The jolly egg! :yatta:

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Kyanne

Kyanne New Member

Mine is extremely muscular/goofy/crazy. She will run into your a double s from behind and knock you DOWN if you're not looking. Silly dogs!

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Lovepetsslater

Lovepetsslater New Member

:dobe::cool: My baby boy Slater, 1.5 years old loves to run in cold, we go to a empty nature area or park near beach or empty beach and he & I run, we wait for sunny hottest time when freezing cold! But he loves it!! High energy like a horse in pasture too long! He has great recall running free

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  9. mshipway

mshipway Jr Member

COUNT ME IN, im leaving this darn cold up here in Canada in a couple weeks to come on down!!!!
    we hit -13 F last night ... eww

• Wow x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Lovepetsslater

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lovepetsslater

Heres my boy before after his medicated bath, its brrrrr cold here:fearscream::wtf:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

We take our pup for walks in the woods and go play fetch at the dog park. Getting ready to go out in the winter requires work though. We put mushers on his paws first and then bundle him up in his fancy jacket!! On the days when it gets down to 0° we have to suck it up inside working on his different skills but if it's sunny, at least 20° and there's no wind I try to get him out for at least an hour. And on that note im ready for summer any time now! PicsArt_01-19-03.46.38.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  13. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

What’s winter ?

• Funny Funny x 6
  14. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

What's exercise?
    20190130_111057.jpg

We are - 17 outside, with a wind chill of -36. Sitting in the sun room with the fireplace, we have 76°. They don't need no stinking exercise! :spit:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Wow you guys are getting some bad temps. We're sitting at 35 F right now and January/Feb are usually the coldest months. I recall last winter being a hard one because of how often we used the Jolly egg as the only exercise for K. We've been so nice and mild during this winter. Just one or two snowfalls nothing major.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Our 2 agree. Of course Albert always has to have a "butt pillow". LOL
    Both sleeping on couch Jan 28 19.JPG

• Like Like x 3