How much do you exercise your Doberman during the winter and really cold days?

Same here. What is it with dogs not knowing stairs? Is it just something they have to learn when their legs are long enough? I was stumped when the dog just stood there looking at me. I turned to my hb and said, "so this is your guard dog?" :spit:

Omg. Am I going off topic again?
Rocky had a home before ours.
They didn't have stairs. He was a year and a half roughly when we brought him home.
He had no clue of stairs or a doggy door.

OK, I mentioned once before I'm crazy, so deal with me... ;-) One of Grace's favorite things to do is chase bubbles...I have every kind of bubble wand you can think of...plus bubble guns which blow out tons of bubbles...living in Concord Nc we have 90+ days all summer and when the temps get that high sometimes a long walk isn't in the cards for me, so I got the idea my girl might like bubbles...guess what I was right, she goes nuts chasing and popping them. It's a great supplement for the walk or if time is short a good workout without going to the Park... :cool:
I forgot about that but is a good deal of fun for them. Maxie and Daisy loved bubbles.

OK, I mentioned once before I'm crazy, so deal with me... ;-) One of Grace's favorite things to do is chase bubbles...I have every kind of bubble wand you can think of...plus bubble guns which blow out tons of bubbles...living in Concord Nc we have 90+ days all summer and when the temps get that high sometimes a long walk isn't in the cards for me, so I got the idea my girl might like bubbles...guess what I was right, she goes nuts chasing and popping them. It's a great supplement for the walk or if time is short a good workout without going to the Park... :cool:
That's awesome! @Viemarangelrock and dear Kobi taught us how to play bubbles:hearteyes: The Dobes do love it!

I think my jaw hit the floor when it said 111 ... ya no dogs don't go out in that ever
Rocky will if I will.
We actually made the best of it.
Lots of hose and sprinkler time.

He's gone from a dog that ran at the sight of water to the dog that molests sprinklers and actually taunts me to squirt him.

Rocky will if I will.
We actually made the best of it.
Lots of hose and sprinkler time.

He's gone from a dog that ran at the sight of water to the dog that molests sprinklers and actually taunts me to squirt him.
Hahahahaha my backyard is all concrete :/ it would have scorched their paws. I had to put them outside in boots and or wash the concrete off with water lol I'm certainly wayyyy happier with this cloudy weather lol

I still try and walk our property with the dogs in winter but sometimes I have to leave Kali behind when its really cold. :( I've had to carry her halfway back a couple of times when she'd stop, hold her foot up like, Mamma, its too cold to go on. :( And especially when there is snow on the ground. Wet tiny paws freeze quickly. If Buddy keeps moving, he's pretty good. I probably want to go in before him. But we all don't stay out for very long when it gets really cold. It's no fun. :thumbdown:

I went out to the barn last night to feed horses and my husband was out there already. I walked in and said, "I hate winter." :whoop: lol He said, "I know. You've said it many times. :p " It wasn't even that cold out! But it wasn't warm. :anonymous :

We had wet snow which froze up like ice sheets on the sidewalk so we walked in the grass next to the sidewalk. The ice sheets were on the grass too just less slippery and more crunchy under our feet. K was kind of dancing in it so we could tell he really didn't like it. They have a way of letting you know what works.

If he's out in really cold weather I prefer for him to be off leash so he can keep himself warm. I always use the ear tips as a barometer. They should be warm. If it's a leashed walk he has a jacket. I tested last years jacket on him and it didn't fit anymore. He's gotten bigger in the chest area. So no more matching winter jackets for us haha. Too bad, wearing purple ppl thought he was a girl :woot2: This year he will have a camo jacket and his big boy testicles will make it very clear what he is! :laughing:

I think my jaw hit the floor when it said 111 ... ya no dogs don't go out in that ever
We went for extensive walks in Tucson in that kind of heat; but this was with my Red male who happened to have a full undercoat. He didn't have heat aversion like I see so many Dobes have. I would only occasionally see him react to walking on hot surfaces – like if there was no sidewalk for a while and we had to walk in the road.

I met a red Dobe who had suffered frostbite on his ear tip some time ago. The hair grew back white. Poor guy. He had the worst teeth too. Like, who is taking care of you? Do I need to talk to your people?

We went for extensive walks in Tucson in that kind of heat; but this was with my Red male who happened to have a full undercoat. He didn't have heat aversion like I see so many Dobes have. I would only occasionally see him react to walking on hot surfaces – like if there was no sidewalk for a while and we had to walk in the road.
I wouldn't do that to my dogs, some will I won't. To me if my feet burn I'm not gonna let their feet burn. Plus the concrete is said to be twice as hot as the temp :/ nope. I just don't feel right about it. I mean my dogs all have cooking vests and boots but I thought it was just to hot to push them.

"I know. You've said it many times. :p " It wasn't even that cold out! But it wasn't warm.
That's just because you haven't adjusted yet. I always swear I'm freezing in the fall when it's 40 above but in the winter we think it's a heat wave when it gets up to 0.

Anything under freezing is cold to me. Below zero is just horrible. I never acclimate to that. Today was 40F, cloudy and no wind and it was very doable in my book. Under 32F is, well, freezing. :)

oday was 40F, cloudy and no wind and it was very doable in my book. Under 32F is, well, freezing.
This time of year that does feel cold to me and I'm going to have to get used to it all over again. This is also the time Della likes her jammies on but of course I never told Rick that, nor did I tell him where they are so it isn't going to happen. He's always good about covering her with her blankets though so she'll be fine.

WHEN the weather is "right" we ride or walk on the trails or big parks...usually 2-3 hours a day. However, when the temps make ME cold we stay at home in the back yard and stay out as long as the dog wants...all the dogs I've ever had all let me know it's time to go in by going on "strike" and just sitting at the door.. :cool:.

BTW...temps of Asphalt in the summer can reach over 150' F, it might be a good idea to stay on concrete or grass on hotter days. To give you an example of just how hot that is, must folks don't turn their hot water heat over 120' because it will burn skin.
:usa::dobe::cool:

Fortunately for us we live on the central coast in California so it doesn't get super cold. maybe 50 and a little below at night in winter. But what does get hard to do is getting out before it gets too dark. Which right now is at 6pm, 5:30 even. By the time I get off work its getting dark and I can't go to the dog park so he can see all his friends and play. So we go for walks and I let him run around the parks and chase the birds (his favorite). I did buy a lighted harness though, because it was too hard to see him in the dark, and it helps light the path for me too. I am trying to get Mauser obsessed with the chuck it ball so I can really run him but its 50/50 right now.

WHEN the weather is "right" we ride or walk on the trails or big parks...usually 2-3 hours a day. However, when the temps make ME cold we stay at home in the back yard and stay out as long as the dog wants...all the dogs I've ever had all let me know it's time to go in by going on "strike" and just sitting at the door.. :cool:.

BTW...temps of Asphalt in the summer can reach over 150' F, it might be a good idea to stay on concrete or grass on hotter days. To give you an example of just how hot that is, must folks don't turn their hot water heat over 120' because it will burn skin.
:usa::dobe::cool:

How do you ride a bicycle with your dobe...I would love to be able to do this but I almost ate it when Mauser got spooked by an old lady crossing the street in front of us and he tried to go the opposite way. I am also nervous about him getting hit by the spokes or wheels.

Back