Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

How much do you exercise your Doberman during the winter and really cold days?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by dobielover64, Oct 31, 2017.

1. dobielover64

dobielover64 New Member

During the summer and spring, it's very easy to take dogs to the dog park to let them run and get their exercise but what do you do when it's icy and snowy outside and you don't have a yard? How much exercise should my dog be getting during really cold days and what is the best way of getting their exercise in and for how long? What do you do?

2. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

We train year round no matter what the weather is outside. If it is cold, just bundle up put coats on the dogs and go out. But also use a treadmill inside for extra exercise.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We are lucky enough to have lots of dog friendly places to go. Not unusual for me to pack up the dogs and head to some place that allows dogs where we work on obedience. Even your local Petco or PetsMart is great to walk some laps and do some obedience. Perfect because there are tons of distractions.
    Even if you don't want to get out in the cold and snow, work on some Ob. Mental stimulation works as well as physical.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I'm going to sound a bit smug here, but: I find it's in fact easier to take my Dobe to a park in cold weather. We often have the park to ourselves! In fact, when there is a warm day and people come out of the woodwork, I get irritated. It's like: Where were you people and your dogs all winter?

We don't have a park within convenient walking distance to our current house, unfortunately though. Oji just gets his walks/runs like normal.

So, I'm probably not much help to you here because I don't change a thing even for the coldest weather. Is your concern your Dobe's handling of the cold, or your own? Your Dobe will be just fine. They do well in the cold if they are being active.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My two have turned into an all new type of CRAZY with our cold snap. 63 last night and night before. The energy it so amped up it becomes a risk. I took Bogie biking and he was straight out stupid acting (picture a bull coming out of the chute) so I brought him back home after 15 min. I took Bacall for a run off lead (super recall) and she promptly jumped in the water and went swimming.:facepalm:I let her burn up that energy and then brought her home and froze myself bathing her.
    Now this morning Bacall is outside loving it. Bogie is outside shivering but crazy acting. Guess I really need to buy some super warm clothes so I can work them hard because cold and me are not besties.:guns:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes, hot, sunny muggy days make for a much more tolerable Doberman in my experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Drogon

Drogon Hot Topics Subscriber

I take him outside for exercise just about as much in winter as I do in summer.
    Treadmill is awesome for the brutally cold weather of Chicago.

So very true! I love when it is cold or rainy so I can have the hiking trails or dog park to ourselves.
    63 ? Brrr :rofl:
    Cooler weather is like crack to high energy dogs. I guess cooler is all in perspective and what they've acclimated to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

I hate the cold. It hurts me physically. So, they don't get much forced exercise in the winter. They can run around outside in the yard whenever they want. But walks? Forget it. I don't leave the house unless I absolutely have to after it gets consistently below 50.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tropicalbri's

That would be 60 for me.:whistle:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tropicalbri's

Unfortunately down here we get the snowbirds in winter and they dominate the parks in winter because this is spring weather to them.:furious:
    During the summer it's dominated by semi locals that think it's the breakfast club and just sit there for hours while their dogs lay in the shade. I will ask for 15 minutes to exercise my dogs but they are like uh em....no we are not leaving but your dog can play with ours. Well I don't think so!!!! Mine do not find other dogs as playing partners, they find them intrusive in their play space and would get blamed if a fight broke out just because of their breed.:bat:

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  11. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

I totally prefer 70+ lol. I have the thermostat set at 72 and still have a light sweater on. Yay for drafty old houses. But if I limited my outdoor exposure to 60-70+, I'd barely ever get out, so I deal with 50. Below that though and I just can't.

12. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Was going to say, ours act like winter has come and the night King is knocking at the door at 55 :D

So I don't really have much to add in this thread. It doesn't get cold here.

But.
    On days I'm not into it we stay home and play games.

I'll throw the ball in the house (low effort throw) and he has the challenge of finding it after its rolled under something.
    Or, il throw the ball up the stairs...a dozen times.
    Then fake him out. Act like it's going to go upstairs again. He starts up the stairs and I throw it the opposite way.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

We visit Home Depot and breweries that allow dogs. Swing by the pet store; find and inside training class; and, of course, just suck it up and go outside in the cold. Work on some mental games or learn some new tricks. You'll get creative when your pooch starts getting cabin fever :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Tropicalbri's

Truer words have never been spoken!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Haha me too! It's like their dogs don't need to be walked anymore! As much as I may dislike heading out we have the whole place to ourselves. We have two huge fields nearby so our "walks" are done in no time. I let Kaiser go off leash, he blasts through the snow and is often the first one to lay down footprints on fresh snow!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I do this too. I fool him once left and once right. Then all 4 legs are neutral and his head is tilted.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Putting the poisoning aspect aside, ever wonder what your dog would be like with a few drinks? You know how some ppl turn into mean drunks or total love bugs?

18. Tropicalbri's

Hmmm, not sure I would want to see Bogie tipsy. He struts around the property with the "Bully of the Neighborhood" trot, like he is itching for someone to challenge his superiority.
    Poor guy, he will jump back from a little land crab but he puts on a good show.:rofl::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. Tropicalbri's

We call that hang time.
    We fake throwing the ball then put it behind our back or in a pocket. They run around looking for a few moments then realize we didn't throw it. It only happens a couple times with them when they are super excited, then they will sit and wait for you to actually toss it. Smart little devils.:D

• Like Like x 1
  20. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

hahahahah I feel like dogs (and toddlers for that matter) ARE basically drunk people:
    - don't put that in your mouth
    - don't pee on that
    - don't get sassy with me
    - why are you drinking out of the toilet
    - where is your *insert move valued possession here*
    - you're hangry, aren't you
    - how did you smear poop EVERYWHERE
    - you need a nap
    - don't puke in here
    - don't jump off of that

Etc.

• Funny Funny x 3