• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

How Many Breeders Out There

I bought my last Pom at a place I think was called Noah's Ark. (It was around 1986!) I was young (er) and naive and heartbroken from losing my last Pom and in need of a dog! She was the BEST Dog and I still get emotional thinking of her. BUT, like I said, naive....I really had no clue to what puppy mills were and of course, like a lot of people, outta sight, outta mind. You see these pups and think you are 'rescuing' them. Who cares where they came from? But if you saw where they came from it would break your heart. Thanks to my sister, I learned. And it was kinda funny...when I was looking for a Doberman, she knew that I need a dog NOW and wanted me to be patient while we look for a breeder....and she told me, If you buy a dog from a pet shop I will never talk to you again! :eek: LOL Lucky for her, I like her! lol AND I finally had some smarts about Puppy Mills and would never even think about buying one from a pet shop. I won't even go in one to look. :)

There aren't really many Doberman breeders in my area, it just so happened that my girl came from very close by. I don't see many Dobes in general around here. I often see a man with a gorgeous blue boy but that's about it! That said, the UK's not very big so even if you get a pup from the other side of the country it's not that far in the scheme of things!

A while back I saw one of those 'tear off the phone number' adds for AKC registered doberman puppies posted on the glass by the door at a Dunkin Donuts shop.

We see very few, if any in the area. Once in a while I'll see an ad in the paper from the city that's about 70 miles from here, but that's about it.

Atlanta paper classifieds online:

http://ajcexchange.com/search_ads?search=doberman&category[id]=4&x=0&y=0

I like that the first one is "spade". :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

And I agree.. I don't see many dobes around my area either (especially when you consider three pages of ads!). I saw two when I was taking Riley to classes, and have run into one at the vet's office in all the times I've been there. Never one at PetSmart or anywhere like that. And when you do see one around here, they're just as excited to see another dobe.

My neighbor has a "dobe," who is solid chocolate in color, has spaniel-esque ears and leg feathering, and a broad, short nose. He was purchased from my son's bus driver who once told me she "raises dobes." Of course, this was after she asked if Riley was a dobe.

This is such a old thread, yet I have never seen it!

When I was looking for Karma, I didnt want to use the 'breeder' that is known in SA... just wasnt fond of her dogs, they didnt do well in agility. Very conformation dogs. So I looked in the paper and there was probably like 4 ads... I think thats the average. But go figure... they were all BLUE!!! After the italians, I wanted to stay away from blue dogs... love me a blue dog, but dont want to deal with the chances of bad skin anymore!

Finally after few weeks I found a lady 2 hours away from me that had two black females... she had the parents, I spent a few hours there with her family and the dogs, nice people, nice parents... decided to take her... the funny part is... they actually had Karma already picked out for the local sheriff... but he wanted the other girl. oh well, his mistake :)

Back