1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

How Many Breeders Out There

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by MLR, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Not sure I follow where you're going with the rabies thing.... shots are just basic care for a dog. I don't think anyone was saying these "generic" breeders (as you call them) are not vaccinating their dogs.

I do believe there are about 16 Dobes in Second Chance Doberman Rescue in Clinton, MI. That's just 1 rescue.

2. Panama

3. Silent

Silent Novitiate

One of the dallas papers has 2 ads currently http://shopping.dallasnews.com/Shared/Search.aspx?advid=0&s=doberman&x=92&y=23 dallas also has a manditory s/n law I believe. The number last summer was at least a dozen ads at a time. Part of it is going to be based on time of year, part now is fear of advertising that you have not complied with the required s/n.

another area papers has 3 http://pd.dfw.com/sp?skin=&aff=10025&keywords=doberman&submit=Go

Currently there are 19 ads on dallas kijiji http://dallas.kijiji.com/f-doberman-Classifieds-W0QQCatIdZ0QQKeywordZdobermanQQisSearchFormZtrue I didn't look to see if they were all pups for sale.

backpage has 2 http://dallas.backpage.com/PetsForS...erman&category=4428&priceMin=min&priceMax=max
    but one is a minpin

Papers also generally charge for ads. If you go to the hundreds of free puppy sites and do a by state and by breed search you would probably get an idea by state.

http://www.pet-classifieds.com/dogs/doberman-pinscher.html currently 32 ads not seperated by state

puppyfind has 471 ads, not seperated by state but can be seperated. http://www.puppyfind.com/for_sale/?breed_id=47&back=/search/?submit=1&str=doberman&page=1

There are a lot more free or low cost online ad places out there.

4. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Where I was going with the cat rabbies misrerpresentation example is quite simply that when a respected animal rights advocate makes major false statements to a government body for no other reason than to pump up their fee income, I don't necessarily believe as gospel everything I read here on the internet in these anonomous forums. If you believe everything you read or hear; you'll fall for anything. I don't know where Clinton, Michigan is. That's not in my area. Not saying any information you posted is inacurate Panama but we all know web sites aren't always updated on a regular basis either. That same local shelter I was talking about, for years misrepsented that they were broke and that if you didn't donate pet food, supplies and money the animals in their shelter would parish. But when I dug into their finances I discovered that they had a million and a half dollars in a trust fund held by a local foundation and additionally had a semi trailer full of animal food stashed out of sight on a back lot at their facility. Needles to say, after I exposed them for the frauds they were, they lost our city's animal control contract. Now, in the five years I've owned my current dobes I have only seen one or two other dobermans in my area. I was just wondering what others on here were actually physically seeing in their area.

5. Silent

Silent Novitiate

Physically I know of 2 breeders in the next town (have met and talked to at various places). These are people who have 2-4 females and breed. There are also several between me and dallas that have ran ads in the past that I know of. 2 of them are puppymills and have puppies on an almost constant basis. I am not in dallas its just the closest large area. I have had 8-10 people stop me while walking my male asking to breed to him. I never saw the dogs. I had one guy stop and come to my back yard while I was working on a flower bed beside my house asking about my male, he had a white female a yr old that in his words "needs to be bred". When I ask where he got her (did not see her either) he told me in the next town, so this is a 3rd person there whom I did not know about.

One of the city inspectors here in town also breeds dobes. I have never seen them but he mentioned it when he met mine while inspecting a newly installed hot water heater to pass code.

I have also seen on the local freecycle 3 dobes given away in the past year or so.

The girl that taught the ob classes my male was in persoanlly owns 3 dobes but I don't think she breeds them.

I also know of 2 males who were turned into the city pound (at different times over the past year) and pts because they will not adopt out a dobe especially and owner surender. They generally put down all owner surrenders the same day, and hold strays 3 days before pts.

In this area people don't do much with their dogs, not even walk them regularly.

6. Panama

Well, seeing I pretty much live out in the middle of nowhere, in my immediate area I have only seen 8 (not counting my own). If I take into account the local PetSmart, it's a county over, I've met several there. Down towards the beach, there probably aren't very many.

East of me and north of me......there are pups being cranked out all the time with ads posted on line and in American Classifieds (weekly classified paper).

I'm sure Shelters and local Humane Societies receive some sort of City, County or State funding along with public donations ($ and supplies). Rescues however do have a much harder time with funding. Foster homes, such as myself, we get NO political funding (to my knowledge). Strictly donations, adoption fees and fundraisers. We've footed so many vet bills, cost for heartworm preventative, flea & tick preventative, and have never asked for anything in return. I have gotten coupons for free food, and mailed them to either directly to the Rescue or another foster family. The Rescues usually have vets that will assist with low cost s/n, but.....still costly at the rate the dogs are coming in.

7. MLR

MLR Novitiate

" Silent: I have had 8-10 people stop me while walking my male asking to breed to him. I never saw the dogs. I had one guy stop and come to my back yard while I was working on a flower bed beside my house asking about my male, he had a white female a yr old that in his words "needs to be bred". When I ask where he got her (did not see her either) he told me in the next town, so this is a 3rd person there whom I did not know about."

I've had similar experiences when out walking my dobes Silent. Someone inverably comes up to me and asks if I breed them because they would like a puppy. And I'm sure from the looks of them that they wouldn't care if I had papers or not.

8. Panama

We were talking about Breeders advertising in the newspaper, when you switched gears to some Feline Rabies issues... that's why I didn't know where you were going with it, or how it fit into the discussion.

9. MLR

MLR Novitiate

It's been a while since I posted about this but I haven't seen an ad in my local paper for doberman puppies for sale, or even to give away a full grown one or one in rescue, in over a year now. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen an actual ad for dobe pups for sale in their area since we last discussed this.:)

10. Panama

11. JustDobermans4me

JustDobermans4me Jr Member

There are 14 on puppyfind 4 on kijiji my newspapers all of the county about 8 there has been a pick up of non papered litters and AKC litters.

12. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

There are a fair number of doberman puppies for sale in my state on most popular classifieds in Maine, but that is the exception to the rule. My puppy's brother is still for sale on there, but he is a fawn and there were two male fawns in the litter. The breeder I was originally going to buy from (and breeder of my puppy's sire and dam) is expecting a litter from a new stud with big championships. Plus there are a couple of BYB dobie puppies available.

It's quite a shock to me that there are so many dobes available in Maine right now. I almost gave up on finding a dobe to buy in this state when I was looking. This is the state of the Labrador retriever as a rule. Dobes are not popular at all. My BF met an adult dobe today in the grocery store parking lot and it was the first one he ever met. The dog was from out of state.

13. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We rarely see Doberman ads in our papers. Hubby reads the paper more than me and he'll check sometimes just for the heck of it, but we would never buy from an ad. We only go through a 'network' of reliable people. I always feel best buying from breeders that don't need to advertise and they usually have a waiting list.

14. ButterflyMommy

ButterflyMommy New Member

I get the Arizona Daily Star (Tucson) and the Arizona Republic (Phoenix). I see at least an ad a week in either paper from BYB's. We also have three dreaded "pet stores" that sell puppies. One is in he mall, one is a disgusting store on the wrong side of town, and then we have a Petland. I go into all three at various times. Its like a car accident, I can not stay away. Almost every time they have doberman puppies. The free papers for Tucson and Marana also have puppies all the time. Its so sad.

15. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

we got some BYB breeders here and i see adds from time to time in the newspapers or on Kijijii and oodle, wich always send me alerts, so i know how many dobe's are out here "sigh"
    but realy good breeders are very rare and not right around the corner from me.

16. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow, I don't recall ever seeing a Doberman at a pet shop ....but it has been too many years to remember, the last time I was even in one that sold pups. I don't see that much anymore ....or maybe I just don't go IN them. :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lord

Lord Jr Member

Please add me on the list of greeders and dob brokers. We offer responsible servise with dogs of potential.

By the way i start understanding supersize. The dobes i have seen have no bones

18. FredC

FredC Guest

L i dont believe any of the nonsense you are posting and have been posting. So my question why would you post such lunacy? your posts add no value to the site. Is this your intention?

• Like Like x 2
  19. ButterflyMommy

ButterflyMommy New Member

Its horrible out here, especially Petland. Check out the link to our local store, they don't have a doberman puppy online for sale right now, but look at all the other "pure breeds" mind you a puppy from them costs almost two thousand dollars (based on "breed") and is not AKC or any other certification.

http://petlandtucson.reachlocal.com/coupon/?scid=1580864&cid=491231&tc=10022519070421284&rl_key=31c25b70a69ad9e42a3c92c7ba6dbfce&kw=3020348:22774&dynamic_proxy=1&primary_serv=petlandtucson.reachlocal.net

There is a store called "The Puppy Place" that is almost as bad, and "Animal Kingdom" in a mall.

Animal Kingdom says they have a rottweiler puppy right now... http://www.animalkingdomaz.com/cgi-bin/cpi/animal-detail.html?mv_arg=111822

http://www.puppyplacetucson.com/index.html

• Like Like x 2
  20. BreesMom

BreesMom Novitiate

I agree with MB.

I don't really think a good breeder would be advertising in newspapers and places like kijiji.....their pups are mostly sold before they are born. Advertising in these places would put up a red flag for me. JMO