1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

How Many Breeders Out There

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by MLR, Feb 20, 2009.

1. MLR

MLR Novitiate

I know of a couple of breeders in my area who don't have papers either, but I've never gone so far as to call them.

2. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

well.......MLR......hate to break it to you but your two are not cute cuddly little puppies anymore! ROTFL! somehow I just dont see the folks in your area thinking.....wow! lets go in there and get those dogs for our own! hehehehehe.......they are thinking......hmmmm better rob the house next door! that one has BIG dogs! dobermans! yikes!

3. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Ok Zoo, cute. They're both on diets right now. :D But seriously, I have had renters next door to me threaten to poison them just this past summer. Thank goodness they're gone now.

4. FredC

FredC Guest

Whoa them is fightin words. :sport-smiley-002: Just saying ;)

5. MLR

MLR Novitiate

And you'd better believe I did yard patrol every morning making sure there was no hamburg laced with anti freeze tossed over the fence before I let my guys out to go potty until they were evicted.

6. CoolHandJean

CoolHandJean New Member

We have an ad paper called the Iwanna. I don't get it every week, but when I do get it, I usually see three or four ads to dobermans.

7. Faber

Faber Jr Member

ughhhhh......did the tails themselves? 1/2 died?....ughhhh.....

8. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

yes faber.....it was all I could do to not buy them. I did talk to my vet and one guy bought 2! he said the same as me.......he just felt so bad he had to. I dont know what happened to the rest. but I imagine the female was bred right back to the male so there should be another litter very soon. and I also imagine they will breed the daughter pup back to the father! for more puppy cash. I also told our local rescue to keep a eye open.....and told them where the house was. sick just sick.......now in my eyes they where true BYB no care for the parent dogs. the only good thing I could say is atleast they where kept inside.

9. Faber

Faber Jr Member

you have a good heart....:)

yeah, that sounds bad....I'm sorry to hear that....and glad you gave the rescue a 'heads up'....man, .....just not good.....more puppies, more puppies dying....how sickining.....there's a prime example of byb, like you said.

10. MLR

MLR Novitiate

I've seen this, too, Zoorox. This doing the puppies tails themselves. A couple of years ago this guy was walking his pit/mix something around my neighborhood and it had a big thick rubber band around it's tail. I commented on it and he tried to tell me that the puppy couldn't feel it. This was not a tiny puppy. It must have weighed 8 to 10 lbs! It really made me sick. I wanted to reach down and cut the thing off myself. How can people do things like that??:mad:

11. Faber

Faber Jr Member

shoulda told him to wrap that rubber band around 'himself'....don't worry, you won't feel it.....
    some people....

12. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

MLR......that rubber band stuff people do to dogs and cats.....do not ever REMOVE IT!!!! just saying since many people do that to cats. so you may one day find a kitten with a rubber banded tail. since the tail has already started to die.....if you remove the band it lets the toxics into the animals body and can kill it.

these folks didnt band them.......just cut them off

13. MLR

MLR Novitiate

I would never do that Zooroz. I just felt like it. I have called animal control about these kinds of thing in the past though. Kittens. Now that's a new one on me. I've heard of other things like, for instance, I keep all my cats in the week leading up to Halloween and the night of. I was told by a shelter worker about people using cats in 'rituals' at cemetary's around that time. I don't even want to think what that means. I've never seen this personally, but keep my cats in to be on the safe side.

14. OldDrumDobes

OldDrumDobes New Member

If you are wanting to find reputable breeders, people who health test their dogs, show/work their dogs, breed for the right reasons, I HIGHLY recommend going thru the DPCA/UDC list of recommended breeders. Health testing is a whole long list, that includes: Cardiomyopathy - a Holter monitor EKG or an ultrasound/sonogram done by a veterinary cardiologist
    VWD, OFA for hip and elbow dysplasia, Blood panels for thyroid by an OFA-certified laboratory and a Eye exam done by a veterinary ophthalmologist (CERF exam). People on puppyfind and the other listed sites normally aren't ethical and byb just running ads. About the same for newspapers. There are plenty and I mean plenty of homeless dogs out there, Dobermans should only be breed when they are excellent examples of this breed. Allright I will get off my soap box..

15. MLR

MLR Novitiate

When I started this thread it was not intended as a reference for those seeking to buy a doberman puppy; it was for the sole purpose of doing an informal survey of dobermans locally sold by non-big name breeders in the particular area of the respondant. The idea for this thread came about after reading about dobermans seen in shelters and rescues by forum members in various parts of the country. It is well known that there are various advertising sites for selling doberman puppies all over the internet. That was not the question. I was more interested in what other members were actually seeing in terms of actual physical dobermans in their particualr area being sold by mom & pop type breeders, or in rescues, or local shelters. Personally I have not seen a doberman in any of our local shelters in over three years and the two I did see did not come from my city; they were seized in a drug raid in a city 30 miles away. And I have only seen three ads offering to sell doberman puppies run in my local paper over the past 5 years. It is my personal belief that aren't that many non-big name breeders producing and selling doberman puppies around in this part of the country based on ads I am seeing in my area. I am only interested interested in dobermans being bred and sold by non-professional breeders that member's have actual first hand knowledge of. What are other members seeing in their area?

16. OldDrumDobes

OldDrumDobes New Member

What is a "non-professional breeders"?
    FYI Breeding should be no one's profession

17. Miller Dobes

Miller Dobes Novitiate

I am looking for a pet puppy....male or female. She will be fixed and loved. I do not want a grown dog.

May

18. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

What general area are you located in? Maybe someone can direct you toward a rescue that has pups or younger dogs needing a home.

19. MLR

MLR Novitiate

There are those on here who would tend to disagree with that statement OldDrumDobes but let me rephrase that for the benifit of the rest of the forum members; high end breeders. Again I was merely wondering where, and if, anyone was seeing ads in their local papers for doberman puppies bred by generic mom & pop hobby breeders period. I live in lower Michigan and the ads I've seen have been few and far between telling me that there aren't that many dobermans in my area. And, so far, it doesn't appear to be prevalant in other areas of the country.

I question persons coming on here and stating with absolute certainty that there is a glut of undervalued dobermans on todays market place. The reason I posed this thread is because for years one of our local shelters stated that they were seeing 7,000 cases of feline rabies in our area every year. They even went so far as to convince our city commission to enact a mandatory rabies vaccine requirement for cats living within the city limits. While all of this was going on I called our state's Department of Agriculture and found out that there hadn't been a case of feline rabies ever in our county and that the last case of canine rabies had been in 1946. So when people come on here and state that there are literally hundreds of thousands of dobermans in rescues and shelters across this country because of byb I quite naturally tend to doubt what they are saying without proof.:)

20. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Newspapers have gotten alot smaller than they used to be. Most of the classifieds in our local papers are either Help Wanted (which is almost obsolete at this time), Automobiles & Misc stuff some people are trying to sell to make ends meet. There are so many web sites these people can advertise on without costing them a cent.

These "generic" dog breeders don't usually put much into their dogs aside from general vet visits and food, very minimal to no health testing, so why pay for an ad in the newspaper when they can post their ads for FREE?!!!

Sorry, just how I see it. Wouldn't be too difficult to pull up a dozen in just one area REAL quick!