Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

How long does it take for puppy aggressive play to stop?

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by HB2019, Aug 14, 2019.

1. HB2019

HB2019 Novitiate

Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice on Doberman puppy aggressive play? He’s currently 13 weeks old.
    This is our first Doberman and understand that they are quite mouthy as pups but I just want some reassurance that this is just a phase and that we are doing the right things to train him to stop biting and playing aggressively?
    When playing he can get aggressive, growling and often goes to bite our ankles, feet or hands. If he bites/nips we say “no” firmly and move away for 10 seconds before resuming play? We always have lots of toys close by for him to chew on and praise him when he bites down on these instead.
    He also seems to get overexcited after a walk and shows this aggressive play again growling, trying to bit our ankles and sometimes barking at us. Again we say “no” and try to redirect him on to a toy.
    Any reassurance that this phase will pass with patience and consistency would be great? Anyone who has experienced the same, how long should we expect this behaviour to continue for?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Aggressive play is ambiguous in this situation. It’s over stimulated play which looks like aggression to those not familiar with the puppy stages of the Dobermanns. He is excited and get what I call the “Rips”,others refer to it as “Zoomie”. It’s nothing more than built up energy that surfaces when he gets excited. Their concentration abilities are short while they are puppies and their little brains are screaming to play bite, nip, bark, run around and come back at you biting and nipping and even growling. It’s how a puppy plays with another puppy or dog.
    They will grow out of it but you have to teach them bite inhibition by redirecting their attention to other items that are acceptable to bite.
    Sometimes you have to scruff and correct them so they calm down. Usually this excessive burst is associated with being tired much like a child. Start redirecting him and then put them in a crate for them to chill out preferably with a toy they cannot chew up and ingest. Puppies need frequent naps and their mouth is sore because of starting the teething process.

The training and work you put in now will save you some angst when they enter their Doberteens.
    Now that will make you pull your hair out.
    Lots of training at this age really helps to diminish these issues later on when they really get crazy.
    In short, all the training you do now will go a long way towards setting a foundation for further training and they will learn respect, no jumping, no biting.
    Teach NILIF daily and make them earn everything they get.

Their little brains can absorb a great deal at this age when it comes to their training. Keep training session frequent and short as in multiple times a day and always end training on a positive note with something they know.
    Give lots of praise and make yourself the most fun person to be around!
    Teach and enforce crate training as they need a safe place all their own.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Great advice! I have very little to add.

Just remember, puppies growl, bark, lunge and will bite clothes etc...to them it’s just playing.
    Aggression is a pretty heavy word to put on a 13 week old puppy.
    This stage will pass but you have to be consistent. Redirect him to a chew/tug toy everytime.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. HB2019

HB2019 Novitiate

Thank you for your responses.

The only reason I have used the term aggressive is because that is how it appears in comparison to other pups we have had in the past and how they have played. Sometimes he plays lovely and then seems to turn to biting.

Like I said in my original post, we direct him to a toy and say no every time he bites so I just wanted some reassurance from experienced dobie owners that we are doing the right things to eliminate the behaviour.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

^^You're doing great, you just need to hang in there!

The nipping stage can be a testing time but it's so important to have patience but most importantly be persistent. Some pups just take longer to pick up the hint that it's unacceptable to nip/bite human skin. Remember, play-biting is the means by which they learn to develop bite inhibition, which is absolutely essential later in life.

With some pups, the best method is to grab the scruff of the neck and give a little shake followed by an instant redirect to a toy or tug and play. His mother would of corrected him for unwanted behaviour so you’re just carrying this through.
    I would add, never turn your back to your puppy or ‘yelp’ - these are signs of weakness, you need to show your puppy that you are a strong confident leader.

Mental stimulation is an absolute godsend with young pups. Add some ‘brain games’ into his daily routine. By stimulating your puppy mentally it’ll burn off some of that pent up energy!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. HB2019

HB2019 Novitiate

Thank you so much. I feel much better now :)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  7. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

@HB2019 have you had Doberman pups before or other breeds?

8. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Biting and nipping of humans will go away soon enough with a little guidance.

Aggressive play? Well? Daisy was almost 8 when she passed, Rocky is getting close to that, I’ve known a 10 year old to aggressively play, so?

I’ll let you know in some years:D