Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

How do you express anger or disappointment?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Genta, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Genta

Genta Member

Hi, I had a terrible day today. I was playing with my 8 month old dobie when he head butted with me to steal the fetch ball. He was very strong and didn’t held back on his jump which resulted me a bleeding gum.

Anyone know how to teach dogs from lunging(idk if it’s the right word?) at you. I am still working on him not standing and leaning on me which he showed great improvement. But it all falls away when we are playing (he doesn’t get as worked up if it’s food). And sometimes I lose control and starts screaming at him. I feel really bad.

Can anyone give me suggestion on how handle him when he gets too much?

Attached Files:

2. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Teach rules of play by capping his behavior before you throw the ball. Your dog must bring the ball back and then sit or down calmly. Let you gave the ball and remain down until you give them a release command when you throw the ball again. It is basic Obedience that you apply to your play session.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That's a great question you ask!

Well, it is a challenge for all of us to not lose our tempers with our dogs at times.

Ideally, we would all remain calm and just issue appropriate corrections when the dog violates a command that it knows how to follow.

I learned pretty early on to not lean over my Dobe. Their head can be a weapon, though of course it's unintentional on their part. I've had to hear the sound of my Doberman's head smacking my wife's face a couple times over the years and it's a bit gut-wrenching.

I have had to train each of my Dobes to not jump up and to not put their paws up on me. I like to use the knee to their chest area. Remain calm about it, and they will learn that it doesn't go as they planned when they try to jump up on you. If you can, get other people to administer the same technique when he tries to jump up on them (though I have rarely ever had anyone be willing to do this for my Dobe).

Again, great question. Thanks.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Echoing that even playtime comes with rules. Even still, both my husband and I have gotten black eyes, my hands get bit up, I get bruises on my legs.

All the above are accidents so I do not get mad at my dogs for those. If it's because they have not followed a rule, then the rule gets retrained.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Let me also add, if I get a angry or frustrated I immediately put my dog up until I have a clear head. No good training or playing for that matter can come if your emotions are not in check. Dogs don’t understand things that way, commands given in a neutral tone of voice and being consist gives the clearest picture. We actually test this with members in the club doing recalls at 80 yards. Just tour shoulder movement will cue the dog to come so the dog must be taught to stay down until called. Everyone feels they now need to yell the command because of the distance. Once we remove all body language as a cue we have the handler quietly call the dog at 80 yards. They all run fast to the handler. Yelling can sometimes cause the dog to mistrust and not come fast due to possibly thinking they are already in trouble for something. I always say give your commands in a neural but matter of fact way fir the most success.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

The way you respond to him when he lunges can have have impact on whether the behaviour escalates or stops.
    If you shout, scream, throw your arms up in the air, or push him down every time he jumps up....his excitement level will increase over time. He becomes overstimulated, and the situation will become more serious. Jumping up and lounging have become his go-to response whenever he his overly excited. The more understated and dull your reaction, the less fun the behavior becomes.

You want to promote calmness. You are in charge of play, not him. He plays by your rules. You release the ball when all 4 paws are sat calmly on the floor. When he’s settled, mark with a “good” and give your reward. You must praise good behaviour and correct the unwanted.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. obbanner

obbanner $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree with what was said, so I'll just inject some inappropriate humor.

IGaveMyDogAMiddleName.jpg

• Funny Funny x 9
  8. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Exactly this....

• Like Like x 4
  9. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

Agree with all said above.
    When you have established good play manners there will still be times when you accidentally get a head butt or other thumping. In those circumstances I stop play immediately and make hurt noises whilst holding the damaged part. (Sometimes this is play acting and sometimes not!) This just keeps it in their mind that it isn't a good thing, even if it is an accident.
    I very rarely need to feel angry with my girl now, but in the beginning there were quite a few occasions when I had to have time out to regain my cool. If she does something that is out of line and is ignoring me I do a quiet string of well acted swear words. This happens rarely, but if it does she knows to get herself back to me pronto! Very much like the play acting my parents did with us kids! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Me too! :green::nurse:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Oh Little Oji

My previous Dobe, I nicknamed "The Cobra." This, not due to his bite, but due to the danger presented by his noggin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Arm crossed and saying the word seriously?!? while looking them in the eye gets the attention of my two. They will immediately stop what they are doing and go into a sit.

I use hand signals more than verbal commands once they learned them.

I have experienced injuries and pain from the twins so trust me I never stand over or lean over a Doberman.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Oh Little Oji

And the award for most direct answer goes to... ...Bri! :thumbsup2:

Come to think of it, I often growl a low-pitched dog-like growl to express my displeasure. It certainly does not make him cower, but he casually takes heed.

This brings me to a point I was thinking of making before: Tone of voice communicates a lot to dogs. High pitched for when you are pleased and for commands that you use to induce wanted behaviors, and low pitched for when you are displeased and for commands that compel him against unwanted behaviors.

14. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Mine is more a hand on the hip and a, Hey! And a look at my face that reminds me of my girlfriend's mother when we came home late from a party. Yep. Similar to this.:tap:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1