How big is the drive/temperament difference between European Showline and American Showline?

cldhrdtrth

Hello everybody,

the question is basically in the title already, but heres a short summary of my situation:

I want a doberman and I've decided to get a showline doberman, because I want him as a pet/companion. I've read about american showline dobes being calmer and more subdued than the european showlines. I also heard that american dobermans tend to be more nervous than the european, but also a few times i've read that the drive/temperament is basically the same for both.

So, now I'm unsure whats actually true and wanted to ask on here what yalls expierences with these two lines are and wether you think they are similar or if theres a (big) difference in the drive/temperament/intensity.

Thank you in advance for your opinions

Kaiser2016

I know you're asking people who have experienced both, but...
Having had just one Euro from mostly show lines, I'd say the Euros are still crazy like a fox :spit: Through meeting local American Dobes, I can say that mine is always the craziest one and the others are way more reserved and calm. It may just be how the local Americans are bred? :scratch: That said, breed standard says they should be the same, and I'd never expect to discover a Doberman that is a couch potato. You'd need to make it clear to potential breeders what you're looking for.

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
I haven't had Euro show line. I've had Euro working line and American whatever line. Working Dobes are more of a handful and a pain.

I think that one might find that Euro show line is more of a handful and a pain than American show line. It's been long said that the North American show breeders have bred a more mellow, livable Dobe. Yes, all Dobes are going to be high energy and demanding; don't get me wrong. My first, hobby-bred Dobe was.

European breeding programs (not necessarily that ones who are just pumping out puppies for profit) have placed a higher importance on the dogs proving some working ability – even if they are primarily show dogs. Even those breeders who are just puppy-makers will have the effects of this in their pedigrees.

I have heard one other time on here something about the notion that American Dobes might be more nervous. I'm not at all saying it's true. I'm just saying a couple people have asked the same thing. I wonder if it's because of a video that's out there – was it the Animal Watch woman? I don't necessarily agree with it.

I look forward to more opinions here.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I think really it depends on the breeder. There are showline american dobes that excel in performance sports and have lots of titles...they can't really be nervous and perform well. Not nearly as crazy as a working dobe but... you get what I mean. Still hard to live with without a job, constant constant training to keep their minds busy and staying on top of obedience. Definitely no laid back dobe. A dobe should also not excel in the show ring if they are nervous. Temperament can be somewhat observed and if the dog is nervy or aggressive towards the judge, they can be excused. Usually nervy dogs wont do well showing. Its a strange environment every time, its loud, there are lots of other dogs and people, all coming and going and moving close to each other. Strange people putting their hands them. All of this and they have to focus on their task and their handler. Looking cool, calm, collected, and proud.

You just need to be clear with your breeder what you want. If their dogs have all sorts of agility titles, dock diving, fast cat, lure coursing, etc. then that might not be the pairing or breeder for you if you don't also want to do those things or something of that level to keep your dog's energy needs and mental needs met. If you want couch potato, you want another breed.

R

Rosa

I haven't had Euro show line. I've had Euro working line and American whatever line. Working Dobes are more of a handful and a pain.

I think that one might find that Euro show line is more of a handful and a pain than American show line. It's been long said that the North American show breeders have bred a more mellow, livable Dobe. Yes, all Dobes are going to be high energy and demanding; don't get me wrong. My first, hobby-bred Dobe was.

European breeding programs (not necessarily that ones who are just pumping out puppies for profit) have placed a higher importance on the dogs proving some working ability – even if they are primarily show dogs. Even those breeders who are just puppy-makers will have the effects of this in their pedigrees.

I have heard one other time on here something about the notion that American Dobes might be more nervous. I'm not at all saying it's true. I'm just saying a couple people have asked the same thing. I wonder if it's because of a video that's out there – was it the Animal Watch woman? I don't necessarily agree with it.

I look forward to more opinions here.
I have seen that video, and they definitely don't like the NA Dobe in it! My question is, how to get a working line Doberman? I have been looking around for a breeder. Actually, I found two in Brazil which would make things simpler, but if I want the ears cropped and the tail docked, that is another matter. In Brazil, what is considered, 'maus tratamentos,' or abusive treatments is prohibited. From what one breeder told me, it depends on the authorities interpretation of 'maus tratamentos.' Anyway, he also said that it lessened the risk of problems if the puppy was from a foreign country that allowed such practices! I was wondering if you guys could give me any suggestions?

cldhrdtrth

I have seen that video, and they definitely don't like the NA Dobe in it! My question is, how to get a working line Doberman? I have been looking around for a breeder. Actually, I found two in Brazil which would make things simpler, but if I want the ears cropped and the tail docked, that is another matter. In Brazil, what is considered, 'maus tratamentos,' or abusive treatments is prohibited. From what one breeder told me, it depends on the authorities interpretation of 'maus tratamentos.' Anyway, he also said that it lessened the risk of problems if the puppy was from a foreign country that allowed such practices! I was wondering if you guys could give me any suggestions?
I've heard good things about LiparLand, they have working line dobes and also crop and dock. I think theyre located in serbia tho