1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

How about this pedigree? (Altobello)

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by DN2017, Feb 28, 2018.

1. DN2017

DN2017 Member

2. Drogon

Drogon Hot Topics Subscriber

Two years ago I would’ve said that’s a great puppy. I have since learned that Altobello has DCM in some of their lines. I just lost my boy two weeks ago he was only three years old. He didn’t die of DCM and he wasn’t from Altobello but his death was heart related, he was from Serbia, he shares some of the same dogs in his pedigree.
    Research the cause of death of theses dogs and know your risk factor before making any decisions. There’s a Facebook through that can help you out I forget the exact name of it but if you search for Doberman DCM you should find it. There’s a woman on that group whose name I can’t remember either but she’s really good at doing all the research on bringing a cause of death

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. DN2017

DN2017 Member

Thank you for your reply and I am so sorry to hear about your beloved boy :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. DN2017

DN2017 Member

Wanted to edit but couldnt anymore: the pups parents are both DCM clear fortunately. I couldnt stop thinking about him since I woke up this morning so I think I'll have a serious chat with my hubby today:biggrin:

5. Sir.duke865

Sir.duke865 Member

Just passed on a direct import Altobello pup myself , actually a grandson of maxim, to many mixed reviews, lots of claims of cheating and supplementing or fabrication, no first hand experience so only going off of research. Personally I’d ride the wave, and look for a line with a better track record to much mud in that pond for my liking. They also put ws on their paper work but if you do a history check and learn about Altobello, Altobello is NOT ever been into performance but huge into confirmation so that in itself was another flag for me. Not saying it wouldn’t be a great dobie I personally would just look around more, learned my lesson impulse buying and not researching and following the things I had learned. When you find that perfect pup you’ll know, don’t get tricked by the puppy eyes their ALL great, cute seems to be a lot of ppls deciding factor which is not the best but I believe we are all guilty of it at one point or another lol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sir.duke865

Sir.duke865 Member

Another thing I may be incorrect as it’s been awhile but I believe your supposed to test for DCM every year which means there test are clear now but that could change any given Sunday,
    They can only test for the one gene they know to look for first off and second they actually don’t know what other genes are part of this so a negative test just means that single known gene is not present, the subject could VERY WELL still have dcm present, but also a positive test doesn’t mean the dobie is going to be affected but it does carry at least carry the KNOWN dcm gene.

Complex topic look it up and read up a bunch about it and research Altobello for yourself sometimes(not all) you can learn a lot from listening to a kennels story, background, what there doing,types of titles so on and so forth

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Sounds good doesn't it? The problem is we just don't know enough about the disease yet. My boy was negative for both genes and yet he was diagnosed with Occult DCM in October.
    The truth is the disease is rampant in the breed and you must educate yourself and be prepared to do the testing at minimum annually in hopes of catching it early.
    After tons of research and talking to breeders, vets and owners, I am convinced there is no such thing as a DCM free pedigree,
    All we can do is the testing as mentioned earlier and whatever we can to support research of this devastating disease. Can we rid the breed of this disease? No idea but I do believe we can improve the odds. At this point we don't even have accurate numbers on just how many are affected. Most agree at least 50%, not good odds.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I see you found an old post of mine about this breeder. I'm glad you did! I'll copy paste here for others to read.

Over in the EU they like to use the wording "DCM Clear" Like Sir.Duke mentioned, it only means they didn't have the one genetic marker that that specific test was for, it does not mean they are FREE of ever getting or passing on DCM. Some Dobermans will be Clear and still die of DCM. Some won't be and live a long life. DCM unfortunately effects 50% of the breed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

What are you looking for out of your Doberman? Show, working, some obedience competition, or pet? Knowing this would help if you are looking for recommendations. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DN2017

DN2017 Member

Thanks for the info guys! Seems to be hard to find one without a chance of getting DCM eventually because its only detectable when tested anually and there is no guarantee for the future, right? Makes me wonder if I should just take the chance and buy the pup or buy a pup elsewhere and also have a 50% chance... What are your opinions about that? Is what I am saying even correct?

• Like Like x 1
  11. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

The test you are talking about is a cheek swab and there are actually 2 genes we know about. DCM1 and DCM2 and researchers still don't know how they fit in the big picture. But you are correct, negative results does not mean they won't have DCM. Just like a positive results doesn't mean they will. They are just tiny pieces in a giant puzzle.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DN2017

DN2017 Member

Just a pet, a new familymember. We'll take some obedience classes but no competition I think, maybe later on if we love it but I dont think so.

13. Sir.duke865

Sir.duke865 Member

@DN2017 yes the chance of dcm is unavoidable BUT you can buy from a breeder who doesn’t have a history of thier off spring passing from dcm or dcm related issues, when you buy a used car you still inspect it and buy the BEST used car from someone trust worthy to a extent,you don’t just say well it’s used so I’ll take a chance on it being a good one and buy from someone known to sell lemons, you lower the chance of getting a lemon by buying from a good dealer. Can you locate a dobie directly in that line living of a good age next would be how many next would be how many has died at early age vs a normal age or close, after all that then try to find out what caused the deaths of the ones at early age, what health issues did they have throughout their life time. You may not be able to find out all these things but you should be able to at least get a starting point and if for some reason all info is magically hidden, then i keep it moving to someone who has a better record of there dobies and can offer me a level of comfort

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  14. Drogon

Drogon Hot Topics Subscriber

My boy tested negative for both DCM1 & DCM2 and still died just over 3 yrs old from a heart issue.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  15. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

Sadly this means nothing. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

There is a FB group called Doberman Longevity Clusters...I would join and see which breeders have the longest lived pups.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

I guess it all depends on what you plan on doing with your Dobe...research is best done ahead of time as stated above, if you're going to show or compete with your Dobe...Just one bad issue can stop all your plans....Due Diligence is always recommended. :thumbsup2:

I'm a rescue type, so I look for those in need and try to enrich their life...:)

Both styles of parenting are acceptable and needed for the health of the breed.:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1