1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Holter Test ?s

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by LifeofRubie, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Congrats Ruby! I'm glad you shared so we can all learn. I've never seen one of these & wouldn't know what to look for, so thanks Panama & GennyB for comments that help explain!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

I have like 9 pages of the actual data if anyone cares to see :D

I'm so glad! I was getting myself so worked up that we were going to get terrible news :facepalm: thank you guys!!! I know this is just one part of dingos overall heart health!

• Like Like x 1
  3. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Glad the Holter worked even with some of the leads that came loose.

The Holter looks great.
    Glad your being pro-active!

Did you keep the detailed 24hr Log? Writing down times of Start, then like times of resting, times outside potty or playing, running, barking, eating, sleeping? We detail everything he does.

But I’m throwing this out there.
    Echos should also be done in conjunction with Holters.

Holters do not tell the whole story of what is going on with the Heart. All they check for in the 24hr period are Arrhythmias.
    Echos check blood flow, heart valves, measuring wall thickness, how much the chambers are filling up and other data.

As with the case with our boy Yago, he had less than 10 VPC’s. But we decided to take him get an Echo done for a baseline. This is when the Cardiologist diagnosed him with Occult DCM. It was in Dec. 2015. The highest VPC’s he’s had since his diagnosis has been 70VPC’s. Other meds were prescribed. After that the VPC’s have come way down to less than 10.

Also recommended testing per NCSU for Dobermans. Starting at 2yrs old Echo and Holter every year up to 5yrs old. Then starting at 5yrs old Echo yearly but Holter every 6mo.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. LifeofRubie

Yes we kept a log and yes, planning on an echo. DPCA nationals are in St Charles, IL in 2020 which is 20 minutes away for me. My breeder said they do Echos for like $125? So we were planning on doing that along with the Holter a year from now.

I am overly cautious of positive Holter tests based on a friend we have who's Dobe was diagnosed with Severe DCM at the age of 6 after years of clear holters :( apparently a rare case of no arrythmias but quite advanced DCM... EDIT: which I mentioned earlier in this post :facepalm: but it just upsets me so much!

• Like Like x 1
  5. LifeofRubie

Just got back from our Echo exam and Rubie was PERFECT and her heart is excellent! They were holding the clinic at an obedience/rally trial so when we were done, I put Rubes back in the car and watched some of the competitors. Did see a very young Dobe go through her exercises with puppy enthusiasm and then and older female Dobe in the highest level ring nail her routine! A very handsome Doberboy was walking in as we were leaving so didn't get to see him, unfortunately.

The folks doing the Echos were awesome and very efficient. They have 35 dogs signed up for Echo's today! Insurance wouldn't say for certain of they'd cover it but I submitted it because what's the worst they can say? No?

Phew! Busy day already for this princess!
    IMG_20191116_120252.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  6. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

So happy for Rubies perfect heart!

7. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Glad to hear the good news!

8. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

:woot: Great news!

9. LifeofRubie

Thanks, guys! You can't help but feel guilty that your dog checks out when there are so many wonderful dogs from top notch breeders out there who've not been so lucky :(

In other news, Nationwide reimbursed me the 90% of the cost of the echo which I was very pleased to see!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Awesome news! Rubie does look annoyed by the busy day in that shot haha.

• Agree Agree x 1