1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Holter Test ?s

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by LifeofRubie, Jul 20, 2019.

1. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

Holter test all done! A couple of the electrodes unstuck at some point. Is the data still ok?

IMG_20190719_205316.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

The only way you'll know is send it in. If there are enough data hours, they will let you know.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Depends on which leads came off. If the limb leads stay on you are fine. Send it in. The worst that can happen is you will have to repeat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Was it a 5 or 7 lead wire harness? Your probably good up until they came off. Hopefully they came off a good time after it was started.

5. Diane Law

Diane Law Hot Topics Subscriber

Curious question......do Dobes have to be shaved in certain areas for holster test?

6. strykerdobe

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes, very small areas where the electrodes contact the skin. The hair grows back really quick, just a matter of days before you can't even notice it, so it's no big deal

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. LifeofRubie

It was a 7 lead so fingers crossed. Rubie seemed really unbothered by wearing it even though it was over 100 outside so repeating wouldn't be the end of the world, I guess.

I did have her shaved a bit and had to add some tape to try and keep things in place. Thank goodness for Unisolve!!!

9. strykerdobe

7 lead you might be good to go.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  10. strykerdobe

@LifeofRubie
    Question do you make them do activities like a normal day? Run them, chase a ball?

• Like Like x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  11. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

I'm curious too. Is there already a thread somewhere about the whole procedure? Do you rent the vest or is it part of the cost of the test? So many things to learn!

12. LifeofRubie

Yes, we did all normal stuff but less body slamming between the dogs :)

@Ravenbird a local breeder has a vest and the monitor. She only charges $30 to use it and provided the new batteries, electrodes, and SD card. Rubie wore it for 24 hours. Once times was up, I downloaded the data from the SD card and sent it to Alba Medical to read. I believe they're looking for VPCs and how many, of any.

I was talking to a friend on Instagram who's dog is 6 and just diagnosed with Severe DCM. They Holter tested every year but he never showed any arythmias. They found his on an echo so we'll do that too to be extra sure

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

This really is a scary thing. I'm still on a puppy hunt and trying my best to find long-lived lines.

14. LifeofRubie

She said their breeder was horrified. Plenty of folks on here have WAAAAAY more knowledge than I do but they've only identified 4 DCM markers in dogs? I think they've found 17 in cats? I think it's something like that.

15. strykerdobe

We went in with 3 other Dobe owners. Between all of us we had 8 Dobes. If I remember for the Alba Digital Mod. we all chipped in $350ea. Including the Vest.

Then you download the results to Alba. And they would charge $30 for the results. You can have their Cardio read it for $75. But we just forward it to our Cardio She charges the same $75

I could not tell you how many times we have used it. We started when they were 5yrs old. Which now is too old to start. You should start Holter's and Echo's at 2yrs old!

North Carolina University Vet School rents Holter's.

• Like Like x 1
  16. strykerdobe

Unaware of 4DCM markers? They have only found 2 DCM Genes. DCM1 (PDK4) and DCM2!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GennyB

Thankfully there are a few options. Very often breeders own one and rent or allow you to borrow. Local breed clubs also chip in and buy one they rent out. Also dog trials often have health clinics at trails with really good price on echos. More often than not the Cardiologist doing the echo will know where deals are.

I haven't paid for any of Drake heart tests for a few years. Our Cardiologist was kind enough to offer to do his for free. She's conducting her own study in an effort to gain first hand experience. Cardi's don't get the opportunity often as most dogs get to her already in CHF. :(

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. LifeofRubie

Results! Look good, I think?.... The max heart rate time (6:21p) corresponds to when we got home after being out for about an hour; min hear rate was overnight

Rubie Holter.JPG

Rubie Holter 2.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  19. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

He always hope for "0" all the way down. With PVCs singles WELL below 50, so that's good. Now with a baseline, you have something to compare it to next year.

20. GennyB

They look GREAT!
    Do you see at the bottom of the first page? PVC summery 12 singles. 0 pairs and 0 runs. :thumbsup: 12 singles is GREAT! Anything under 50 is what you wanna see. Zero pairs and runs..........can't ask for better! :beer: Time to celebrate!