• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Hip Dysplasia

apowell40

Hello, My Doberman, Axle, just turned 1year a week ago. I was concerned about his gait and level of activity, which for a pup of 1 should be more active than he presents. So I took him to the vet. They diagnosed him with hip dysplasia (no x-rays or blood work, just assessment of his range of motion and assessed him walking.)He was prescribed Dasuquin chews, galliprant, and gabapentin. We started all but the gabapentin. I feed him Purina pro plan (focus.) The vet also recommended cold laser therapy treatments. We have not started this yet because it is rather expensive. I'm very worried! I want to provide him the best treatment without surgery and was wondering if others have experience with this problem?

News like that is always devastating. However, I think I would request x-rays or get another opinion from another vet that would do x-rays.
There are numerous issues that could present as the same issue. (JMO)

Yes, I agree. My vet will do x-rays if I request it. I think that will be the next step. What are some other issues that present the same? Just looking for any info.

What about his gait made you worry? I recall my hb commenting on how puppy Kaiser seemed to hop in the stairs like a frog. Young large breed dogs can look/move a bit inelegant under they’re fully developed. From that standpoint, I’m uncertain about what your vet says but I suppose an X-ray would provide a definitive answer.

Yes, I agree. My vet will do x-rays if I request it. I think that will be the next step. What are some other issues that present the same? Just looking for any info.
Pinched nerve, compressed or buldging disc in the back or neck, knee problem.
I would just want a definitive answer before pumping him with meds.

What about his gait made you worry? I recall my hb commenting on how puppy Kaiser seemed to hop in the stairs like a frog. Young large breed dogs can look/move a bit inelegant under they’re fully developed. From that standpoint, I’m uncertain about what your vet says but I suppose an X-ray would provide a definitive answer.

When he walks he does not put as much weight on his left hind leg and same when just standing. His standing posture is sometimes hunched. He is lame when first getting up after laying down. He also does the "bunny hop" when going up and down the stairs, but not all the time. His activity level is not what I think it should be for a dog as young as him. When he plays in the yard with my boys he will run for a awhile then sit or lay down, then get up again and play and run. He doesn't seem to be able to run for a very long time before he is ready to "unweight" his legs and lay down. We do not have a raised food dish, and he always lays down to eat. He never stands up when eating, not sure if that has anything to do with his hips, or just a quirk of his?

Your description does sound abnormal for a year old pup.

Hip Dysplasia is not really common in the Doberman breed... not impossible, but certainly not as common as some other breeds. X-rays would confirm this easily enough, and more importantly, rule it out if that's the case and start looking at other indicators like @Panama suggested. , I can't see a vet diagnosing HD without an x-ray, so might be time for another opinion anyway.

If you are on facebook there is a great group where you can see tons of hip x-rays and learn what looks good, borderline and horrific. It's called Hip and Elbow X-ray Discussion or something similar to that.

Best to you & your pup - please keep us updated on his progress & diagnosis.

Back