1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Hill’s Prescription Diet and Science Diet Dog Food Recall

Discussion in 'Nutrition News and Articles' started by JanS, Jan 31, 2019.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

January 31, 2019 — Hill’s Pet Nutrition is voluntarily recalling select canned dog food products due to potentially elevated levels of vitamin D.

Vitamin D, when consumed at very high levels, can lead to serious health issues in dogs including kidney dysfunction.

What’s Recalled?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following products and lot numbers are affected by the recall.

Difficulty reading the image below? Click here to view the actual FDA statement.

[​IMG]

About Excessive Levels of Vitamin D
    While vitamin D is an essential nutrient for dogs, ingestion of elevated levels can lead to potential health issues depending on the level of vitamin D and the length of exposure.

Dogs may exhibit symptoms such as vomiting, loss of appetite, increased thirst, increased urination, excessive drooling, and weight loss.

Pet parents with dogs who have consumed any of the products listed and are exhibiting any of these signs should contact their veterinarian.

In most cases, complete recovery is expected after discontinuation of feeding.

Where Were the Products Sold?
    In the United States, the affected canned dog foods were distributed through retail pet stores and veterinary clinics nationwide.

No dry foods, cat foods, or treats are affected.

Message from the Company
    Hill’s Pet Nutrition learned of the potential for elevated vitamin D levels in some of our canned dog foods after receiving a complaint in the United States about a dog exhibiting signs of elevated vitamin D levels.

Our investigation confirmed elevated levels of vitamin D due to a supplier error.

We care deeply about all pets and are committed to providing pet parents with safe and high quality products.

Hill’s has identified and isolated the error and, to prevent this from happening again, we have required our supplier to implement additional quality testing prior to their release of ingredients.

In addition to our existing safety processes, we are adding our own further testing of incoming ingredients.

This voluntary recall only impacts canned dog food and primarily in the United States.

It is being conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

What to Do?
    Pet parents who purchased the product with the specific lot/date codes listed should discontinue feeding and dispose those products immediately.

To have discarded products replaced at no cost or for further information…

Please contact Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc. at 800-445-5777 Monday-Friday 9 AM to 5 PM (CST) or at contactus@hillspet.com.

Information can also be found at:

www.hillspet.com/productlist

Impacted products outside of the United States will be subject to separate notices on the country-specific website.

If you are outside of the United States, please check your own country’s Hill’s website for more information.

U.S. citizens can report complaints about FDA-regulated pet food products by calling the consumer complaint coordinator in your area.

Or go to How to Report a Pet Food Complaint.

Canadians can report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
  2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Isn't this the brand that so many vets try to sell customers? I think Hills makes the stuff my vet tried to sell me a while back.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

What is with this high vitamin D lately? Seems like I've heard a few recalls because of high vitamin D.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  4. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Probably because they use the same source for some ingredients.

Also they same reason Champion Foods have a lawsuit against them for euthanasia drugs found in Beef Fat they were sourcing from the same places as Gravy Train was.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MyBuddy

Sharing that video with my friends and family!

• Like Like x 1
  7. MiaCarr

MiaCarr New Member

I also found Hill's Science Diet on the top of dog food recalls of 2019. However, I found the following food brands in the dog foods that have never had recalls.

Earthborn Holistic Dog Food
    Holistic Select
    Eagle Pack
    Fromm

You can know more about dog food recalls here. However, I am not sure about Canine Caviar. Do you guys have any got any alert from FDA on it? Or is it free to use?

8. MyBuddy

I don't know about Canine Caviar. But I got this alert yesterday.
    ‐------------
    Over the past 60 days, the FDA has announced 2 dog food recalls:

• Thogersen Family Farm recalled its raw frozen pet food due to contamination with Listeria bacteria (4/8/2019)
    • Hill's Pet Nutrition recalled multiple lots of Prescription Diet and Science Diet wet dog foods due toxic levels of vitamin D(3/20/2019)
    -------------
    Hills brand again.

And I find it a little alarming that frozen raw food gets recalled. I mean, I know a lot of people feed their dogs raw and depend on some frozen food to do it right. And then this gets recalled.:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. MiaCarr

MiaCarr New Member

I am aware of Hill's pet food recall, but I was considering Thogersen Family Farm a good brand because of a very positive online ranking and reviews. I just checked about the news and its sad that frozen pet food of Thogersen Family Farm contaminated due to Listeria monocytogenes that causes serious fetal infections, bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting.