1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Hiking the leg

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Fidsandfrats, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Fidsandfrats

Fidsandfrats Member

I have a question. Zeke will be a year old on Oct 1 and has been neutered. I'm happy to say he does not hike his leg to pee. Was wondering if this behavior is a learned behavior from seeing other male dogs hiking their leg, is it a behavior that will start at a certain age, or is it possible that he won't ever hike his leg/

2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I used to think hiking the leg was hormonal but I’m not so sure. I don’t think it has anything to do with seeing others do it either. I always thought it was to mark over another dogs urine from much higher. Kaiser usually doesn’t lift a leg to pee in the yard but he always does while on walks and he’s intact and 3 years old.

Just wondering, why was he neutered so early?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  3. Fidsandfrats

Fidsandfrats Member

I struggled to neuter or not to neuter. In order for him to be able to go to doggie day care when needed he needed to be neutered. Otherwise he/any un-neutered male was not allowed. That's just how they are here. Not sure if they are this way everywhere. So I did it but I struggled big time.

4. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

I'm actually not convinced they don't learn it from seeing other male dogs do it. Moose never did till we did a group outing with, eh hem, the local Doberman club. So much pee. BUT the urge to hike the leg (and thus, get your pee higher showing you are superior) I do believe is driven in part by hormones. My totally unscientific personal opinion. Moo rarely hikes his leg in the yard, he just does a gentlemanly stretch.

I'm impartial to the hiking of the leg as long as it's on trees, not furniture

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

Well my boy is intact and was not around a lot of male dogs to learn to hike. He just did it one day around a year old if I remember right. He may still end up doing it later or maybe he will be a squatter lol. I honestly wouldn’t have a problem if kodak would have peed like a female forever haha!! He will run and hike his leg so fast at times and pees on himself or trips. Ugh he isn’t super graceful about it all the time. In his yard he lifts his leg slightly which is better than when he is lifting on things.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Same thing here with daycare or boarding, have to be neutered- so stupid....

Ragnar is 2 and will hike his leg somedays and squat the others. No noted reasoning for either.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

On the subject of daycare. Most here in Australia have the no intact dogs rule, meaning both male and female have to be neutered and another rule is that they absolutely have to have their full yearly vaccinations! No titer testing or longer periods between shots allowed. I do suppose it is for insurance reasons so they can show due diligence on the safety issues but it seems a bit extreme!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

:spit:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

They can start instinctively without example.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Blaze almost always hikes his leg, Redman will still squat to pee unless he has something to hike on like a tree, fence, bush ect.. Picasso started hiking his leg at about 9 months. We were glad because he used to pee on his front legs all the time. Always having to clean poodle hair.
    C1F8576B-1015-4D57-8496-118B1274360C.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

@Fidsandfrats it's too bad he needed to be neutered to go to daycare.

There are a ton of group play day cares around here that Moo could still go to but he'd be crated and not allowed with the group. Luckily, we found another facility in which there is no group play but he and Rubie get play time together a couple of times a day which is perfect!

• Like Like x 1